National Dining Car Specials/New Menus (April '17)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I swear, whatever Amtrak does to the menu the whining and bitching seems to never stop. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Some people aren't happy unless they're not happy. ;) I for one am looking forward to the new menu and will get a chance to try out the EB menu next month. Ironically one of the first meals I will be able to partake of is the boxed meal, a very good offering, as I will be departing from Portland.

I swear, whatever Amtrak does to the menu the whining and bitching seems to never stop. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
hmm... mentioning how the new menu is more limiting for those of us on special diets is whining and b*ing?

I was pretty content with the past menu.. I would mostly have the Cod for dinner, and if I got tired of it, or they were out, the Vegetarian Pasta Dish was a decent choice.

I think this new menu is mostly an improvement in terms of more diverse selections for dinner, although it does seem to have limited offerings for those with special diets. The return of Rail Road French Toast was much needed. I regret the demise of the spinach salad--spinach is so much more nutritious than romaine lettuce. The Chicken, Bacon and Cheese Quesadilla was the lunch "special" offered on the Empire Builder in January--I thought this was an extremely unimaginative culinary creation, and I'm surprised it is now on the menu.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like they fired their proofreader. What is "smoke-died chipotle"? And are they calling them "first class meal packages" now?

RE: ice on LD trains...

My diabetic father has been able to get ice on Amtrak by telling staff he needed it for the mini cooler where he stores his insulin. Perhaps someone could try this approach should they run into a reluctant attendant. For my CZ coach trip next week I'm freezing a few bottles of Aarohead water and taking along an insulated "sippy" cup and several flavourings to put in the water I'm keeping in a small insulated collapsible. This should give me cold beverages all the way from Denver to Sacramento. If I want carbonation, I'll drop a tablet of Alka Seltzer into my mixtures.

tripdrinks_zpshbrbtkvc.jpg

RE: ice on LD trains...

My diabetic father has been able to get ice on Amtrak by telling staff he needed it for the mini cooler where he stores his insulin. Perhaps someone could try this approach should they run into a reluctant attendant. For my CZ coach trip next week I'm freezing a few bottles of Aarohead water and taking along an insulated "sippy" cup and several flavourings to put in the water I'm keeping in a small insulated collapsible. This should give me cold beverages all the way from Denver to Sacramento. If I want carbonation, I'll drop a tablet of Alka Seltzer into my mixtures.

tripdrinks_zpshbrbtkvc.jpg
I don't like your suggestion about lying to get ice. If people do this often enough and the SCAs catch in it could mean they'll give diabetics a hard time about getting ice. It equates to people with fake service dogs making it harder for people with real service dogs.

That's exactly why I'm freezing some of my bottles, so I have plenty of ice and cold drinks without imposing on anyone. The only reason I mentioned the diabetic situation at all would be for someone who was up against uncooperative staff after properly making a request for ice. BTW, I happen to work in an industry where we have to deal with the housepet=service/companion animal on an everyday basis and are no longer allowed to question per ADA.

I would hesitate to call something offered by Golden Corral and Denny's as a "Higher End Option."
I wouldn't hesitate at all. Never had anything I'd even call mediocre at either place. But then, I'm not a food snoot.
I particularly like the portion sizes at Golden Corral. :)

hmm... mentioning how the new menu is more limiting for those of us on special diets is whining and b*ing?

I was pretty content with the past menu.. I would mostly have the Cod for dinner, and if I got tired of it, or they were out, the Vegetarian Pasta Dish was a decent choice.
No, not at all. However, the menu selection on a train is necessarily going to be limited, and while you can offer something for everyone, changing one item often comes at the expense of another. Naturally, some people (and some tastes and diets) are going to prefer certain menu variations over others.

From your blather in Post #34 it seems you have missed AmtrakBlue's point. To recap, the following....

My diabetic father has been able to get ice on Amtrak by telling staff he needed it for the mini cooler where he stores his insulin. Perhaps someone could try this approach should they run into a reluctant attendant.
...advocates lying to an SCA just so you can get some ice to keep your juice box cool. Totally unacceptable.

Apparently some people have had trouble at some times because it wasn't immediately available, and they did not wish to wait. Also, there are some attendants that fall short. and while I've never had a problem, and don't believe I've ever seen a person turned down for medical reasons, but that does not mean someone else hasn't.

Ice is pretty much always attainable, from one on-train source or another, and without lying.

When in a Superliner sleeper, if the TA-SC can't get it for me I get ice, one Amtrak cup full at a time, from the dining car staff and/or the Café Attendant.

In a couple of weeks i'll be in coach for a couple of consecutive nights and will have a small soft-sided cooler with me that I expect I'll be able to get ice for - one Amtrak cup full at a time- from the Café Attendant (LSA-Lounge).

Love the fact that in this thread entitled "National Dining Car Specials/New Menus (April '17)" we're up to post #40 and NO ONE has actually sampled any of said specials or has any personal first hand information to report about them.

Seems like most of the convo is about ice.

But do carry on. Imho this is a hoot.

Love the fact that in this thread entitled "National Dining Car Specials/New Menus (April '17)" we're up to post #40 and NO ONE has actually sampled any of said specials or has any personal first hand information to report about them.

Seems like most of the convo is about ice.

But do carry on. Imho this is a hoot.
We get side tracked sometimes! The menu does look pretty good. But I liked the last one too! I don't care about ice and I am easy going!

MODERATOR NOTE: THIS TOPIC (regarding new menu and new diner on Silver Meteor) WAS MERGED WITH THE EXISTING TOPIC REGARDING NEW NATIONAL MENU.

Quesadillas- excellent...
Signature dessert - meh.

Steak and Shrimp - superlative!
Lemon tart - very tart!!! Delicious.

Staff asking " How was it? What did you think?"

ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1492223841.607601.jpgImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1492223860.898249.jpgImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1492223971.224913.jpg

Glad to hear on the Lemon Tart... I may not like the seafood and pasta options... But a veggie burger and lemon tart can make a fine dinner! Ha.

MODERATOR NOTE: THIS TOPIC (regarding new menu and new diner on Silver Meteor) WAS MERGED WITH THE EXISTING TOPIC REGARDING NEW NATIONAL MENU.

Quesadillas- excellent...

Signature dessert - meh.

Steak and Shrimp - superlative!

Lemon tart - very tart!!! Delicious.

Staff asking " How was it? What did you think?"

attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1492223841.607601.jpg
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1492223860.898249.jpg
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1492223971.224913.jpg
It sounds like even the staff are excited about the new menu.

Just realized that except for 1 or 2 trains, the ice cream is not a dessert option anymore. As far as I can remember, there has always been ice cream, but at the same time, since they replaced it with the blue bunny crap, I won't miss it.

Granted I am far from a foodie but the menu looks more than adequate to me. :)

So am I right to assume the items are the same on all LD trains and if I book a sleeper they are all included?

So ice is not always obtainable?
Self service ice used to be available around the clock on most of my trips. Then some rule or regulation or enforcement changed and now it's not nearly as simple. Sometimes the SCA will get ice for you. Some SCA's are quick and other SCA's will get to it if and when they feel like it. Some SCA's will simply tell you to go get it yourself. Depending on the staff for that particular train this could potentially mean having to buy something from the snack car or having the dining car tell you that the SCA is supposed to handle it.

Apparently some people have had trouble at some times because it wasn't immediately available, and they did not wish to wait.
On most of my trips between 10pm and 6-7am there is no ice availability whatsoever. Maybe it's just me but 8+ hours seems like an extended delay for something that was previously available nearly all the time. I know many forum members bring lots of luggage including coolers and such but my trips tend to involve at least one flight and that means I cannot bring igloos and kitchen sinks on most of my trips.

Just realized that except for 1 or 2 trains, the ice cream is not a dessert option anymore. As far as I can remember, there has always been ice cream, but at the same time, since they replaced it with the blue bunny crap, I won't miss it.
Yeah, I stopped caring once they replaced the ice cream with Blue Bunny brand cool whip balls.

Granted I am far from a foodie but the menu looks more than adequate to me. :)

So am I right to assume the items are the same on all LD trains and if I book a sleeper they are all included?
The notable exceptions being The Cardinal, The City of New Orleans, and the Lake Shore Limited.

The Lake Shore continues to run without a full diner, but has a more complete menu than The Cardinal, or City, which continue with their limited offerings.

https://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/767/590/Lake-Shore-Limited-Dining-Car-Menu-111516.pdf

Back