LSL east bound or west bound?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s10mk

Train Attendant
The LSL is one of my bucket list routes, if you had to choose one direction or the other, which would it be, east or west bound? Thank you, on a related note, I just saw alfred hitchcocks "north by northwest" for the first time, what an awesome movie

If you start from NYP, the ride north to ALB will be in daylight, and during the longer days maybe some west along the Mohawk River. And the ride in IN and the approach to Chicago will be in daylight. If you depart from CHI, it will be dark but western NYS and the ride along the Mohawk and part of the Hudson will be in daylight.

Overall, I prefer going westbound.

The LSL is one of my bucket list routes, if you had to choose one direction or the other, which would it be, east or west bound? Thank you, on a related note, I just saw alfred hitchcocks "north by northwest" for the first time, what an awesome movie
Eastbound has the ridiculous late departure time from Chicago, so no dinner in what passes for the diner right now, and you get to NY late.

A lot depends on your interests. I've had many RTs on the LSL, because I travel between Chicago and NYC a lot. I'm always annoyed on the east bound trip that after I wake up, I still have a whole day of traveling through NY state and don't get to NYC until 630 PM. By contrast, on the westbound trip, you board in the afternoon, have dinner, and wake up pretty much in Chicago (if you are on time, which is somewhat unlikely).

On the other hand, if this is your first and only trip on the LSL, you might enjoy the leisurely trip through upstate NY and down the Hudson in daylight--so that would mean go eastbound.

The Hudson River segment is always beautiful. But you can get that anytime out of NYC on Metro North's Hudson line.

I concur with most of what has been said, with the proviso that Spring through Fall is much better than Winter, when there is not much green, even the Hudson is much less attractive (to me)

Thanks guys, I guess a better question would be, which direction has better scenary during their perspective daylight hours

Thanks guys, I guess a better question would be, which direction has better scenary during their perspective daylight hours
As was said, you have much more daylight during the Spring and Summer.
The reason most of us prefer Westbound is that you leave NYP early enough to see all of the Hudson up to Albany, and from Toledo to Chicago is in daylight.

Eastbound the 930pm departure gives you more time in Chicago, but its dark till you get close to Erie,PA. Also since the nickel and dime cuts did away with the Wine and Cheese Reception in CHI, boarding early is only good if you want to go to sleep early.

The scenery along the Mohawk Eastbound and down the Hudson (IF the Late Shore is on time??)is interesting but overall West bound wins!

The Eastbound runs across New York state in the daytime, but departs Chicago very late. The westbound goes up the Hudson from NYC and into Chicago in the daylight. I like both directions.

I used to enjoy the eastbound run when the departure was earlier from Chicago. Someone mentioned being able to see both the Erie Canal and the Mohawk River Valley, in addition to the ride down the Hudson. Be on the right-hand side of the train to get the river scenery.

Back