Celebrities on Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The English singer-songwriter Billy Bragg and American singer-songwriter/producer Joe Henry (Allen Toussaint, Ani DiFranco, Hugh Laurie, Carolina Chocolate Drops, Bonnie Raitt, among others) rode the Texas Eagle last March from Chicago to L.A. over the course of four days and recorded a whole album of classic American songbook songs with train themes at stations and platforms along the way. The result was an album called "Shine A Light."

I wish I had run across them on a trip, that would have been cool.

http://shinealight-joehenry.billybragg.co.uk/

Last July, while waiting in the WAS Club Acela, we had the pleasure of sitting not too far away from General Colin Powell and his wife, who were waiting for the Acela. I was with a group waiting for the Cardinal and Capitol Limited.

Last October, I saw Hoda Kotb and her mother in the NYP Acela lounge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Long before Amtrak, I rode the Erie into Chicago and discovered upon detraining that Agnes Moorehead was a passenger.

Many years ago, I saw Pearl Bailey detraining from Amtrak's Capitol Limited in Washinton, DC. She was riding on a baggage cart and waving to one and all.

Some time in the late 1980's, Larry Haines was a passenger in my sleeper on the Auto Train. Most people won't remember him, but he played a long-running character named Stu Bergman on the soap opera Search for Tomorrow.

I have had W. Graham Claytor and his wife in my sleeper on the Auto Train, but that shouldn't be much of a surprise.

Some time in the early 1990's, Russell Baker (successor to Alistair Cooke on Masterpiece Theater) and his wife rode my Auto Train sleeper.

Brit Hume of Fox News rode with us on the Auto Train several years ago.

Tom

My father in law took a picture of Carol Barnett and Garry Moore getting of a train in Chicago back in the late 50's or early 60's. They posed for the photo standing on the steps. He was a photographer for the Burlington at the time. My wife still has the photo.

Saw Chris Guenzler (does train travel reports on trainweb.com) on a Metrolink train on a weekend. Not exactly a celebrity, but it was exciting to meet a somewhat famous train buff.

Back