NW mudslide season 2016-17

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I booked today (2/10) 509 from Seattle to Portland then connects 5509 to Eugene.

I got email saying there is no alternative transportation provided SEA to PDX. I remember last time, Amtrak used charter buses between SEA and PDX.
One of two possibilities: I-5 was hit, or there's just not enough buses to rescue the affected passengers.

I booked today (2/10) 509 from Seattle to Portland then connects 5509 to Eugene.

I got email saying there is no alternative transportation provided SEA to PDX. I remember last time, Amtrak used charter buses between SEA and PDX.
One of two possibilities: I-5 was hit, or there's just not enough buses to rescue the affected passengers.
One PDX TV station quoted an Amtrak official as saying they could not secure enough busses. I have to wonder whether some passengers could have been accommodated with vouchers for Greyhound or BoltBus, rather than simply saying "come back in two days and try again." Those carriers don't necessarily stop at all the en route stations, but it would be a start at least.

I've done Bolt Bus between Portland and Seattle thrice. It is a straight-shot, direct nonstop to Seattle on the I-5, but a great alternative to the Cascades if you need to catch a morning or early afternoon flight at Sea-Tac Airport. I've never done Greyhound, but if I had to choose between Bolt and Grey, I would go with Bolt, as you can possibly bolt for a buck. But if I can, I would ride the Cascades or the CS as long as the trackage is open.

Update: According to a Facebook post in the Amtrak Cascades group, another mudslide was triggered, disrupting train service north of Seattle. Sounder North is completely canceled, and the Cascades and the Empire Builder will not run between SEA-EVR.

Another mudslide. All passenger service thru Mar 9 including Amtrak SEA <> Everett. The rains keep coming ?

Sound Transit <[email protected]> Sounder north line service is canceled today, 3/8/17, due to a mudslide. Sound Transit will monitor the situation, if there are no additional events, service is expected to resume Friday morning, 3/10

Today at 8:37 AM

Rider Alert: Sounder north line canceled today due to mudslide

Sounder north line service is canceled today, 3/8/17, due to a mudslide. Sound Transit will monitor the situation, if there are no additional events, service is expected to resume Friday morning, 3/10/17.

Amtrak Service Disruption between Tacoma and Olympia, Wash.
Train service suspended due to landslide

Amtrak services are temporarily disrupted between Tacoma and Olympia, Wash. due to a landslide. BNSF Railway, which own the tracks, has placed a 48-hour moratorium, suspending all rail traffic in the area until Sunday, March 12. Amtrak is working to secure alternate transportation for the Amtrak Cascades and Coast Starlight service.
Normal rail operations continue south of Portland to Eugene, Ore.
Amtrak regrets any inconvenience. This information is correct as of the above time and date. Information is subject to change as conditions warrant.
Passengers with travel plans can confirm their train's status, change their plans or review refund information using a range of tools – including Amtrak.com, smartphone apps or by calling 800-USA-RAIL. Service Alerts, Passenger Notices and other announcements are posted at Amtrak.com/alerts.

https://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=AM_Alert_C&pagename=am/AM_Alert_C/Alerts_Popup&cid=1251649145097

Amtrak Service Disruption between Tacoma and Olympia, Wash.

Amtrak services are temporarily disrupted between Tacoma and Olympia, Wash. due to a landslide. BNSF Railway, which own the tracks, has placed a 48-hour moratorium, suspending all rail traffic in the area until Sunday, March 12. Amtrak is working to secure alternate transportation for the Amtrak Cascades and Coast Starlight service.
Normal rail operations continue south of Portland to Eugene, Ore.
Amtrak regrets any inconvenience. This information is correct as of the above time and date. Information is subject to change as conditions warrant.
Passengers with travel plans can confirm their train's status, change their plans or review refund information using a range of tools – including Amtrak.com, smartphone apps or by calling 800-USA-RAIL. Service Alerts, Passenger Notices and other announcements are posted at Amtrak.com/alerts.

https://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=AM_Alert_C&pagename=am/AM_Alert_C/Alerts_Popup&cid=1251649145097
If that is the case, I would assume that #14 (10), #14 (11), and #14 (12) will become #11 (11), #11 (12), and #11 (13) respectively at Portland (and leaving late as a result), while Cascades north of Portland would be canceled.

Probably longer, the affected area is under Flood Watch. So far, the accumulated outage is forcasted at least 120 hours by Friday. 154 to 168 if another slide happens. Maybe a time to consider doing landslide mitigation work, like what they did north of Seattle. So far, at least 30 trips affected since last Friday, and at least 10 more trips to be affected.

do you think that the Empire Builder will continue having problems with landslides for the next 3 weeks. Wondering if I should cancel my reservation from WDL to CHI and instead go MKA to CHI via commuter train.

do you think that the Empire Builder will continue having problems with landslides for the next 3 weeks. Wondering if I should cancel my reservation from WDL to CHI and instead go MKA to CHI via commuter train.
I think you should not cancel this trip. It only affects a small part of the route, and won't affect your portion.
There's no guarantee that the WDL-CHI won't be affected. In theory, a very short bustitution at the beginning of a two-day trip shouldn't affect things down the line...but consider that the EB due to depart SEA yesterday eventually pulled out of Everett 4+ hours late. Was that due to the bustitution or some other factor? I don't know. But it's currently running 6 hours late and hasn't even reached Montana.

OTOH, the EB is capable of running 6 hours late without the assistance of a landslide....and there are times when Amtrak can get an Everett-originated train out on time. All that said, I do agree with not cancelling the trip. Just be aware that you might be running late, or in some cases be switched to a bus that they sometimes secure for pax traveling between MSP and CHI when the train is running many hours late.

Guess I will wait to the last minute, I know I don't want to be getting into Chicago latter than 8 at night, so if that is the case, I will commuter train it. Let's just all hope and pray for the day I am leaving the train might perhaps, actually, maybe, in some God be nice to be chance, might be on time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Amtrak Service Disruption between Seattle Wash. and Vancouver, B.C.

March 29, 2017

9:00 a.m. PT

Amtrak service is temporarily disrupted between Seattle, Wash. and Vancouver, B.C., due to a landslide north of the Canadian border. BNSF Railway, which own the tracks, has placed a 48-hour moratorium, suspending all rail traffic in the area until Friday, March 31. Amtrak is providing alternate transportation.

Normal rail operations continue south of Seattle to Eugene, Ore.

Amtrak Service Disruption between Seattle Wash. and Vancouver, B.C.

March 29, 2017

9:00 a.m. PT

Amtrak service is temporarily disrupted between Seattle, Wash. and Vancouver, B.C., due to a landslide north of the Canadian border. BNSF Railway, which own the tracks, has placed a 48-hour moratorium, suspending all rail traffic in the area until Friday, March 31. Amtrak is providing alternate transportation.

Normal rail operations continue south of Seattle to Eugene, Ore.

"Amtrak is providing alternate transportation" - This is nice. My two reservations SEA-ALY were canceled throughout the past month with no alternate transportation.

So I had to 1) cancel for eVoucher and 2) book Boltbus.

Back