10:42pm Boarding in Memphis TN, is it Safe for Woman Traveling Alone?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nirtak

Train Attendant
I searched the past topics for Memphis Safety and found many old posts, so I'm searching for newer information. Please forgive me if I missed a newer one.

I'm trying to schedule my trip and I'll be starting my trip in Memphis on the 58 CONO, boarding at 10:42 pm at night towards Chicago. Since there is no longer-term parking, and I'll be driving myself to catch the train, I was thinking of parking at the Memphis airport and taking an Uber car or taxi to the train station. Is this the best option? Is there a safer option?

How safe is the Memphis station that late at night? Is there a guard inside the station?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm traveling by myself on a business trip and wanted to take a couple days to get to my destination and thought the train would be a fun way to get there. My husband is very concerned about me boarding a train by myself that late at night in Memphis.

The Memphis station is a staffed station offering checked baggage service and will be manned by at least one Amtrak employee while open. You should be just fine inside the station, but I would advise against wandering around outside late at night.

With an Amtrak employee on duty in the station, it is very unlikely you would have any issues. Do not leave the station area, especially if the train is late. Come prepared if you have to wait a while. I dont know if you are checking a bag, but if not I would just say Hi to the Amtrak agent so they know you are waiting in the station. There should be others waiting, so again in the station is safe..

This is from Frommer's:

"If you arrive in Memphis on an Amtrak train, you'll find yourself at Central Station, 545 S. Main St. (tel. 901/526-0052), near Calhoun Street. This historic railway station has been completely renovated into a combination transportation center with public bus and Main Street Trolley connections and retail complex. However, the neighborhood around the station remains quite run-down. The area is not safe on foot, especially after dark. If arriving by train, you should take a cab or the Main Street Trolley to your hotel."

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/memphis/planning-a-trip/getting-there

Is there still a Memphis Police station in Central Station? It's been a couple years since I've taken the train to/from Memphis, but there had been a police station next to the Amtrak station, with police officers coming and going fairly often.

Also I will add that there is still free long term parking at the Memphis Amtrak station. I left my vehicle there for 10 days last month with no problems.

The police station has moved out next door. It has been replaced by a church.

There is quite a bit of construction going on around the station and the station building itself is being renovated.

A couple years ago I waited by myself in Memphis and felt just fine about it. The station is a historic station that has been restored nicely (love the old neon signs!). Station agent is always on duty and Memphis is a crew change so several other Amtrak employees will be at the station waiting to go on duty.

Obviously Amtrak only wants ticketed passengers on the platform so it's quite safe boarding the train as well.

Memphis Central Station may not be in the best area of town, but the station itself is one of the safest places to be in the city at night. There is a police station located in the building, about a dozen police vehicles parked in the lot at all times, and always at least two station agents working at a time (one at ticketing and the other handling baggage). Plus there is always a crowd boarding the train a Memphis, usually about 20-40 getting off and the same number getting on.

Be aware though that 10:40pm is the departure time. The train arrives at the station at 10:00pm and boarding begins at about 10:20pm.

Memphis Central Station may not be in the best area of town, but the station itself is one of the safest places to be in the city at night. There is a police station located in the building, about a dozen police vehicles parked in the lot at all times...

Sounds like the Police Station has since moved elsewhere...

Also I will add that there is still free long term parking at the Memphis Amtrak station. I left my vehicle there for 10 days last month with no problems. The police station has moved out next door. It has been replaced by a church. There is quite a bit of construction going on around the station and the station building itself is being renovated.

I'm glad to hear that the train boards 20 minutes before departure, less time to sit in the station. It sounds like I shouldn't have a problem getting dropped off directly in front of the station by an Uber and going directly inside.

I would like to suggest you ask the driver to drop you off at the upper level parking deck (pic #1). This entrance leads directly into the waiting area (pic #2). There is a street side entrance (S. Main St.) but those doors may be locked at night (pic #3).

100_2060.JPG

100_2062.JPG

100_2067.JPG

The police precinct did in fact move out, but Amtrak still has employees at the station, and there is still long term parking there. When I catch the train there I leave my vehicle locked up by the platform. Always make sure nothing is visible in the car(no charging cords, change, valuables etc.) The train is due in at 10:00 p.m. so I would plan to be there by around 9:30 p.m.

By the way, if you are traveling between now and March 31st the train is running on a later schedule due to track work.

As in all cases, watch your surroundings, and your mileage may vary. I have not had any problems there, but the neighborhoods in surrounding areas may be a different story.

Last edited by a moderator:
Amtrak George, the website says there is no long-term, overnight parking. You don't get a ticket when you leave your vehicle there? Has parking changed and they just haven't updated the website? I'll be leaving my vehicle there a week.

The Amtrak website is incorrect. There is about 100 spaces to park your car and since the police moved out next door parking is no problem. I make several trip a year out of the Memphis station with the most resent being last month and my car was exactly like I left it when I returned. No ticket, no problem.

Great, thanks for the info on long-term parking. Now I don't have to park somewhere else and get an Uber to the station.

Yes merkelman06 is correct; I don't know why the website just lists short term parking, but about a year and a half ago I left my vehicle there for about 10 days and had no issues.

I leave my car there a week at a time when I travel. Seems pretty safe at night for the passengers getting on.

Last edited by a moderator:
ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1490966361.916118.jpg

Memphis parking. I think they only list no long term parking so it doesn't over flow. There are plenty of spaces.

Back