Updates on Chicago Boarding?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a retired professional grammar n a z i I have to agree with DA's correction but must say it indeed is unnecessary. The original title was clear. The revised title does mislead.

Last edited by a moderator:
Steve, your title reads as if YOU have updates.
Betty has it right. My point was that you used a statement to represent a question. I clicked on the thread curious to read your updates only to realize you didn't have any.

As a retired professional grammar n a z i I have to agree with DA's correction but must say it indeed is unnecessary. The original title was clear. The revised title does mislead.
This has less to do with grammar than it does with clear and concise communication.

Moderator comment:

A question mark was added to the title. Hopefully the edited title will encourage answers to OP's inquiry (as opposed to grammar lessons). :)

Moderator comment:

A question mark was added to the title. Hopefully the edited title will encourage answers to OP's inquiry (as opposed to grammar lessons). :)
Thank you,pennyK. While I usually board from the Metropolitan Lounge this topic is of interest to me. Having passed through Chicago in October and January after this check in process began, I observed that it seemed to be working smoothly. Only people who this really applies to are those that in the "general boarding" group that board from the Main Hall. It is similar to Southwest Airlines in that you get a boarding card and line up by group letter and then number within that letter all while still in the main hall. Military, those needing accessibility assistance, and the "over 65" people boarding coach get priority boarding and should report to the appropriate waiting area for that group. Sleeper and business class board from the Metropolitan Lounge. Seems to be working and has cut the crowding in the waiting areas adjacent to the concourses.

It is similar to Southwest Airlines in that you get a boarding card and line up by group letter and then number within that letter all while still in the main hall.
Southwest Airlines has screens and marked dividers right at the gate that make it clear where you need to be. Is that how Amtrak coach boarding is setup in the Great Hall? Does each group get a separate kindergarten march or does this only apply to the first group and then all other groups simply follow the previous group? Or do they follow signs to the boarding gate on their own?

Sleeper and business class board from the Metropolitan Lounge. Seems to be working and has cut the crowding in the waiting areas adjacent to the concourses.
Is the move to the train handled by a staff member guiding sleeper passengers to the gate or do they simply walk themselves? If sleeper passengers walk themselves does the lounge attendant alert the gate attendants first? Are the sleeper passengers identified by cards or stickers or does the gate attendant need to be coaxed into letting each person through?

It is similar to Southwest Airlines in that you get a boarding card and line up by group letter and then number within that letter all while still in the main hall.
Southwest Airlines has screens and marked dividers right at the gate that make it clear where you need to be. Is that how Amtrak coach boarding is setup in the Great Hall? Does each group get a separate kindergarten march or does this only apply to the first group and then all other groups simply follow the previous group? Or do they follow signs to the boarding gate on their own?

Sleeper and business class board from the Metropolitan Lounge. Seems to be working and has cut the crowding in the waiting areas adjacent to the concourses.
Is the move to the train handled by a staff member guiding sleeper passengers to the gate or do they simply walk themselves? If sleeper passengers walk themselves does the lounge attendant alert the gate attendants first? Are the sleeper passengers identified by cards or stickers or does the gate attendant need to be coaxed into letting each person through?
A staff member does not walk Met lounge passengers to the gate. The gate agents do know they are coming. At least this is the way it was two week ago when I boarded 30 from the lounge. Even though the gate agent knew we were coming she still held us back and announced boarding for "priority" passengers; seniors, families with children and military. The gate agent was corrected by another and told the sleeper pax to proceed. I'm not 100% sure but I believe the former coach waiting area is now the priority boarding area with the Great Hall used as waiting area for coach pax.

Moderator comment:

Thank you,pennyK. While I usually board from the Metropolitan Lounge this topic is of interest to me. Having passed through Chicago in October and January after this check in process began, I observed that it seemed to be working smoothly. Only people who this really applies to are those that in the "general boarding" group that board from the Main Hall. It is similar to Southwest Airlines in that you get a boarding card and line up by group letter and then number within that letter all while still in the main hall. Military, those needing accessibility assistance, and the "over 65" people boarding coach get priority boarding and should report to the appropriate waiting area for that group. Sleeper and business class board from the Metropolitan Lounge. Seems to be working and has cut the crowding in the waiting areas adjacent to the concourses.

Announcement is made re boarding. Staff stands at exit door and points Met Lounge passengers in direction of gate area. Tells you your gate number. Hold your ticket up to the gate agent and proceed to the train. Very easy procedure.

Yes, the former coach waiting lounge is now for priority boarding. Yes, the lines in the Great Hall are managed Southwest style and grouped by boarding number.

(Not really an update; these observations as of late October.)

My apologies DA.
No problem. I've been looking at a trip involving Chicago and wanted to know as well. So far it sounds like things are working fairly smoothly in C-town. At least for the moment.

[Original post removed]
Say whatever you want about me, I have a pretty thick skin so most of it rolls off my back anyhow, but are you really trying to troll people with mental disorders? Seems like a step too far for what was previously nothing more than some mild criticism.

I have had a consistent boarding experience out of the metro lounge. Get announced to board at the lounge, then, walk by myself to the velvet rope. I stop, announce from the metro lounge with ticket in hand, then am instructed to either board or wait by the track side door, for clear to board. Consistent when using the lounge with either a coach ticket or business/sleeper ticket any train any time of the day.

AM boarding for 301 and I think, other trains before 8am is from the lower boarding area, when I travel on 307, boarding for coach is from the Main Hall. Main Hall is either Group A or Group B, IIRC.

I'm a complete newbie, and will be traveling through Chicago twice in the spring. When I get to the station, is there in information booth or someone to let me know where I should wait, and how to get there?

I'm a complete newbie, and will be traveling through Chicago twice in the spring. When I get to the station, is there in information booth or someone to let me know where I should wait, and how to get there?
Yes, there is an information booth in the center of the Great Hall and the general coach boarding lines are there in the Hall. When last there there is at least an A and B line just like Southwest Airlines.

Part to the reason for this change and move is to avoid the very crowded open concourse area where the local commuter(METRA) trains also board. There is really no organization for METRA boarding. METRA trains are simply parked on various tracks and passengers are free to come and go to the trains as long as there is a train sitting and available on the track. In other words, very confusing for "newbies" since thousands of regulars come and go without any clear directions.

Still a mystery to me why boarding a train in the US has to be such a complicated process. Rest of the world - you display the platform/track, people get on.

METRA boarding is from both the north and south on both sides of the station. For Example on the North Tracks, METRA passengers can come down the stairs from Madison or from the station itself. If the train isn't there you just wait where the car door will be when the train pulls in. Many times the platform is getting crowed but very orderly during the wait.Most of the passengers do this procedure every business day.

Help, help, help! I am completely confused about boarding from the new Metropolitan Lounge. Also, confused regarding changed Red Cap service. The old lounge policies were thoroughly familiar, having passed through annually for many years.

We depend on Red Cap service to carry us upon arrival from our bedroom car to the lounge; pick us up at the lounge to take us directly to our outbound bedroom car.

Our experience last June, 2016 was entirely different; maybe still working out the glitches? So...what to expect this coming June?

- Last June the Red Caps were no longer allowed inside the lounge, but did carry passengers with luggage to just outside the door of the new lounge. ~ Still the same?

"Old" procedure was for same Red Cap who brings passengers to the lounge, to give them his return time to pick up and carry back to the train. Last June, instead of returning for their passenger(s), we found that we were to ask the desk to call for a Red Cap. ~ Still the same?

- What is the procedure now for boarding from the Metropolitan Lounge? Now that boarding is done by groups, where do we gather... inside or outside the front entrance of the lounge or elsewhere? Great Hall has been mentioned repeatedly. True?

- Are passengers needing a Red Cap able to hail one at the boarding group gathering place? Do we still ask the lounge desk to call for a cart? Are Red Caps back to returning for their passengers at a specified time?

You all have been a great help with my questions for the past several years. Just please point us in the right direction, tell us where to go and what to expect. Many thanks!

Durham57

Durham57, by your questions you are truly confused. Most importantly SEPARATE the Metropolitan(Sleeper/Business) Lounge from the Great Hall General Boarding for coach "groups", etc. Those in the Metropolitan Lounge do not do any of the coach check in, etc.

If you were in the Metropolitan Lounge last June after it opened the process for boarding and red caps is basically the same except it has been refined to work more smoothly. Red caps still pick up just outside the door to the lounge(they do and can walk inside the host desk and sometimes in the luggage storage room to help with the luggage). You still let the lounge host know that you desire a redcap. The host does announce that those requiring red cap assistance to come to the host checkin area. As for arriving passengers, red caps meet you at train side and bring you to the Metropolitan Lounge just outside the entrance door to the lounge.

Those not requiring redcap board from the Metropolitan Lounge. The lounge host announces that a particular train is ready for boarding and and requests you assemble in the lounge entrance area. From there your are directed to exit through a side door into the main terminal. An Amtrak employee just outside the door points out the direction you should walk through the concourse adjacent the tracks entrance doors. Boarding track number is also announced. As you approach the Amtrak boarding track door an Amtrak employee will direct you toward your train or sometimes ask you to wait until the train on board staff and conductor are ready to receive boarding passengers. This might sound complicated but once you do it a couple times you will find the boarding flows smoothly.

IMPORTANT - At no time do passengers boarding from the Metropolitan Lounge have to check in for coach general boarding in the Great Hall nor participate in that boarding from the Great Hall process. That is only for general boarding coach passengers who do not otherwise qualify for one of the priority boarding groups such as "senior adults", handicap, military, etc.

I personally use the red caps and have had no problem using them boarding and arriving. In fact when arriving last time the red cap actually took me to the elevator to go up to the taxi waiting area since I was overnighting in Chicago.

Back