Chase Sapphire Credit Card

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On a direct redemption with the Sapphire Reserve card, the points go for 1.5 cents each...so that's not horrid (bonused spend gets 4.5% back). If you consider the $300 credit and use it, you're looking at a net cost of $150/yr, so even if you never earned a point after the initial bonus your break-even time on the initial bonus is 6.6 years. Using them "internally" gets you to 10 years, and if you can execute a decent transfer to one of the airline partners you can stretch that even further.

(I'm 5/24-locked, but due to all of the offsets, including the lounge access privileges, the $300 credit, and the extra point per dollar I decided that it was worth the switch from a the Sapphire Preferred even without the signup bonus)

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone tried calling in to make an Amtrak reservation using points?

I know that this works with Southwest (and Chase even carries their card).

Has anyone tried calling in to make an Amtrak reservation using points?

I know that this works with Southwest (and Chase even carries their card).
I just got this card recently and have been pretty pleased with the benefits, though I am confused how one could try to make an Amtrak reservation. Regardless, I'll probably shift the majority of my spending over to the Reserve, since I already have plenty of AGR points.

I know AGR points are technically worth 2.5 cents according to some, but I wish Amtrak made it easier to transfer out if needed.

Anyone else get this card recently and wish to share their thoughts?

I have had it for about 4 months now. I have collected my 100,000 points and my $300. I will be using the bounty for booking my trip to New Zealand and Australia.

It has become my go to card for all travel and food expenses. Since I have low chance of making any status on AGR even with the AGR Card TQPs the AGR card is becoming progressively less attractive. But I am still holding on to it for now.

Back