Questions about Roundtrip Cincinnati

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,

I am planning on taking my ex mother in law on an Amtrak trip next year. This is part of her bucket list and I want to make it as memorable as I can.

We are in Cincinnati and I definitely want to do the California Zephyr. Is it better to do east/west or west/east??

Also I am torn between the Coastal Starlite and LA to SOuthwest Chief or taking the Empire Builder?? Any thoughts? When I try to do roundtrip from CIncinnati it doesn't give me the option to take the Coastal Starlite to LA and then the Southwest Chief. It routes me on a bus for 8 hrs. Would really like to avoid that.

Neither one of us have ever ridden on a train and we will get a roomette. She will be 73, but a very young one.

Any suggestions deeply appreciated. I don't even know anyone who has done this to even ask.

Thanks again,

Kathi

If you're doing the trip in mid-June to late July when there will be a lot of sunlight, my personal recommendation (once you get to Chicago) would be to take the Portland section of the Empire Builder westbound all the way to Portland, the Coast Starlight south through the Cascades overnight to Sacramento, have breakfast at Perko's a short walk from the station and spend some time in Old Town Sacramento nearby, then take the California Zephyr eastbound back to Chicago. If you can swing it, spend a night or two in a hotel in Portland or Sacramento or both to give yourself some more exploration time. If the time and money budget will stretch even further, break the two long-distance journeys as well: Plan an overnight stop at the Izaak Walton Inn in Essex, Montana on the Builder and perhaps in Glenwood Springs on the Zephyr. You will appreciate some time off the train in a real full-sized bed with a real bathtub and shower.

I'm thinking this, you are from Cincinnati a river town, so Sacramento is nice but same ol', meanwhile Seattle is a great destination, food, sightseeing, transportation, fun place to visit

Get to Chicago on the Hoosier or Cardinal, take the Empire to Seattle, spend a day or so, catch the Coast Starlight to Sacramento, spend a day or catch the Zepher in a few hours home.

Last edited by a moderator:
My own thinking was along these lines, assuming a summertime trip with maximum daylight hours:

• Following the Mississippi all the way into St. Paul.
  • Crossing the Rockies westbound at Glacier National Park, with a possible stopover at Essex.
  • Running alongside the Columbia River from sunrise into Portland.
  • Possible direct connection from the Builder to the Starlight, although I personally would build in at least a 24 hour stopover as a break and a buffer.
  • Traveling through the Cascade Range in the afternoon and evening.
  • Old Town Sacramento is nice and walkable in the early morning, although again a stopover would allow time to visit the California State Railway Museum.
  • If traveling in high summer you should have daylight all the way through both the Sierra Nevada and the Rockies, all the way into Denver...assuming you don't hit the dreaded "Service Disruption."

The connection from the Coast Starlight to the SWC involves either a bus from SAC-LAX, or a bus-train-bus combo move to avoid the overnight layover since the CS arrives in LA after the SWC has left.

My recommendation would be to take the SWC/CS connection westbound. The connection in LA is a same day connection from train to train! There is no need for the long bus ride to/from Bakersfield, and the trip on the CS goes right along the Pacific coast (very scenic). The EB I would take eastbound, because the crossing of Rockies will be in the morning.

Ryan,I guess when I took that route I stayed in SAC with a friend for a few days.Then the CS to LA back to Chicago.

Priusgal..don't forget the Cardinal does not run every day so you have to consider that.If you belong to AAA get their travel agent to plan it for you.Costs 30 bucks but then you get a 10% discount on the trip,they can set up the motels,get your tickets and itinerary in a nice neat package.I do it that way and only have to figure out where I wanna go.

If you start from Union Terminal the Amtrak lot is on the right closest to the terminal. Write your plate number down and when you walk in security is on your left and register.I think it is 6 bucks a day now.Never had a problem with the car,just a long walk to the terminal.

I would also recommend the Coast Starlight. The Pacific coast (mainly between Santa Barbara & San Luis Obispo) is quite scenic, and the military installments can be interesting, too. Early next morning, Mt. Shasta can be visible. If you're late (maybe 2 hrs), you'll run in the Sacramento River Canyon in daylight, which is also quite scenic (neither of them are visible southbound).

Where would you have to take an eight hour bus ride at?
When I did the round trip it had us get off in Emeryvikke and take a bus to Santa Barbara to catch the Pacific Surfliner. I couldn't get it to do otherwise
The issue here is that there is no same day connection between the northbound Coast Starlight to the eastbound Calif. Zephyr and vice versa. Several of the Chi-LA options given you by Amtrak involve the bus-train-bus route south of Sacrament, which is kind of silly.

My advice would be to take the CZ, spend the night in Davis, and then the CSL the next morning, or vice versa.

Back