Which roomette?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm booked on the EB in April, and have booked a roomette. My reservations doesn't tell me where it is. How do I find out? Can I choose? And, if I can choose, which side do I want to be on?

Thanks!

Open the attachment in your eticket email. You will see the roomette number there. Then use this:

http://www.craigmashburn.com/amtrakcardiagrams.html

You can ask Amtrak to move you if you prefer a specific room and it is available. Ask them to modify your reservation. There should be no extra charge; if they try that, ask for a supervisor or call back. There is no guarantee of which side your room will be.

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
You can't specify "a side" since sleeping cars can be attached in either direction (bedrooms first or roomettes first). In fact, I've seen 2 sleepers next to each other oriented in opposite directions.

Your confirmation will include your car number and room number. For example, it may say "Car 2830, room 05" - you're in the 30 car in roomette #5. You can also call a reservation agent and ask them.

If you want to chose when booking, you must call an agent. If you book online, you assigned the room by the computer. On the EB (and all Superliner equipped trains), roomettes #2-10 are on the upper level with roomettes #11-14 on the lower level. The lower numbers are nearer to the center of the car.

Key word - Modify - not Change.

It looks like this on your e-ticket:

LOS ANGELES - ALPINE

1 Superliner Roomette | Car 0230 - Room 006

Which sleeper you might switch to will be limited to which rooms have not yet been reserved.

If your travel date is near you may have few or no choices.

Peoples plans often change and a more desirable sleeper may become available close to your travel date.

I was once able to MODIFY my reservation to a more desirable sleeper the day before I traveled.

Sleeping car accommodations closer to the center of the car have the reputation of providing a smoother, quieter ride. I have had both bedrooms and roomettes at the end or close to the end of the car as well as close to the center. Personally, I have never noticed much difference.

For my next Amtrak trip, I have a roomette on the bottom level as close to the center as possible. I am looking forward to making a comparison.

Enjoy your trip!

If you have the Amtrak APP on your cell phone, you can set up an account so you have your boarding pass with the bar code for the Conductor to scan. This will also tell you the Car # and Room #.

My personal preference, based on experience, is to request an upper level roomette (2 thru 10). In the past I have found that a lower level roomettes are generally a more noisy environment. You have the family bedroom at the end of the hall, and adjacent luggage racks. If noise doesn't bother you, the lower level does give you the benefit of proximity to the bathrooms and shower room. If you want to be close to the only bathroom upstairs, request the lowest possible roomette number. I agree with Dakota 400 -- I have had roomettes at both the center and ends of the cars and haven't experienced a big difference in ride quality.

Enjoy your trip!

I prefer 3 or 4. Far enough away from the door so you don't hear it open and close. Close, but not too close, to the restroom and to the stairs. Of course, any will do.

I also prefer 3 or 4. For the past year, I have requested roomette 003 and received that roomette each time I called. I do call several months in advance. I always check Amsnag to get the best rate since my travel is flexible.

We were lucky enough to get Roomettes 3 and 4 on both the EB and CS next month. We have also had 5 and 6 on other trips and those were fine also.

I don't really care but the upper level you get to see more.I am like my dad was,the clickety clack of the rail puts me to sleep.

Downstairs there is usually less foot traffic and the shower is right there.Down fall is you have to up stairs to get to dinning car.

The few times I have been on the lower level, I found the noise level much higher, especially the two times there was a family in the Family Room. The constant opening and slamming of the door by the kids was maddening. Convenience wise I was closer to the luggage rack, the shower, and bathrooms. On the upper level at night, I like to have the curtains open so I can see the stars and the sights passing by, which on the lower level I didn't do since people could look in at the station stops. Bottom line I prefer the upper roomette when given the option. If the sleepers are sold out, I either travel a different day,or fly.

My experience with noise from the Family Room may be unusual, but I travel in off-peak times. I find that most often the family room is vacant. The one time I had a downstairs roomette, the family room was occupied by one quiet adult. I traveled in the Family Room once with my wife, and once alone, and we were very well-behaved both times.

I guess I've been lucky too. On the Empire Builder and California Zephyr last year I was worried about being assigned roomettes on the lower level. I ended up enjoying it. There was a family in the family room but they weren't any louder than anyone else, and the lack of foot traffic was actually nice compared to upstairs. Being close to all the bathrooms and showers was a plus as well. The view may not be as good as upstairs, but I spent a good portion of the viewing time in the SSL anyway

I prefer the middle roomettes on the upper level.

I've been in room #2, and the proximity to the coffee pot, restroom, and car attendant actually got on my nerves due to the constant foot traffic. In the morning, people would chat and laugh around the coffee pot (GO AWAY MORNING PEOPLE). Plus, people kept stopping by the car attendant's room to ask questions. While there is nothing wrong with that, obviously, I ended up closing my door to get some peace and quiet.

I avoid the rooms on the end near the car door as well, because the constant noise of the door gets on my nerves. That, and the barrage of people who either can't figure out the door or let their kids try to open the door (MOM I CAN'T MOM HELP MOOOMMMMMM).

So, this antisocial curmudgeon prefers rooms #5 and #6. :)

They should book us deaf/HoH peeps on the rooms that deal with the most noise. We can just "turn off" our ears when we don't like what we're hearing. :p

I've been lucky in the past with getting 3,4,5 & 6. I recently booked a trip and am #2 for two of the 3 trains. Can't remember what room I'm in on the 3rd train.

I have been in #2 several time, only one time did I have a problem. The door on the beverage center wouldn't stay closed, so it banged constantly until I asked the SCA if we could tape it shut. He didn't have any tape so we used mine (always carry a small roll of duck tape and electrical tape.). After that it was fine. I do prefer 3 - 8, but will accept an upstairs before a lower level.

Back