crescent NOL-NYP

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If your staying near Penn Station a good dining spot is Stella 34, on the 6th floor of Macy's.

It is NOT an old school department store restaurant (it's run by a 3rd party), and the restored express elevators at the 6th Avenue and 35th Street corner are a nice touch.

https://www.patinagroup.com/stella-34

The same company also has a Bar and Grill on Macy's lower level.

https://www.patinagroup.com/rowlands

Enjoy.

Ken

We have bedroom A on Crescent next week, and wonder if there is a luggage storage space in bedroom that is somewhat like the cubby in viewliner roomette? We want access to one larger bag, if possible. Will check others.

Also, since there will be a couple of checked bags, we will tell SCA that we need a red cap at NYP. Will red cap help us get cab to our hotel?

There's a small cubby hole in the bedroom, much like a roomette. It isn't very big though.

The red cap will only help you get from the platform to inside Penn Station, but I'm sure if you ask, they'll point you to which exit you should use for cabs. Remember you can also take the subway from Penn Station to your hotel if you want - they connect directly - but it is a pain lugging bags through the subway.

Just noticed that your hotel is just a few blocks away from Penn Station, so ignore my advice - get a cab!

Catching the Crescent at NOL tomorrow morning. Train leaves at 7:00am. We will have two larger checked bags. What time should we arrive at the station? We will be getting our NOLA hotel to arrange for a car to the station for us, google maps says it is only an eight minute ride.

Bedroom A on viewliner to NYP. Any advice or comments about this room? Never done a bedroom on a viewliner before.

Catching the Crescent at NOL tomorrow morning. Train leaves at 7:00am. We will have two larger checked bags. What time should we arrive at the station? We will be getting our NOLA hotel to arrange for a car to the station for us, google maps says it is only an eight minute ride.

Bedroom A on viewliner to NYP. Any advice or comments about this room? Never done a bedroom on a viewliner before.
Be at the station absolutely NLT 6:15 AM, earlier would be better. They will begin boarding at 6:45. There is a separate lounge area for first class passengers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tony:We're envious that y'all are in a great City and fixing to ride a train to another great one!

Since you're having breakfast on the train and it's a quick trip to Union Station, y'all don't have to get up real early, so arriving about 600am in order to check your bags should do it! ( the line to check in can be long and there's the 45minute rule) Then y'all can enjoy the Magnolia Room. (.get the code from the agent)

Bedroom A is one of three on a Viewliner (A,B,H). It has a combo toliet/Shower which is a bit smaller than those in a Superliner Bedroom, so you'll probably want to use the Shower at the end of the Car.

Plenty of storage space in the room ( but none anywhere else in the car).Sometimes the Bedrooms are warmer than the Roomettes, hopefully y'all will get one in good condition and a good Crew and the Food is good! I honestly can't remember if A has the Couch facing forward or backwards and am too lazy to look up the diagram.

Hopefully you'll have the Sleeper closest to the Diner and Lounge so the walk isn't too long.

Sometimes they start Breakfast before crossing the causeway over the Lake so go for an early Breakfast time so you can enjoy the best scenery on this Route.

Look forward to your trip report, Bon Voyage!

If you're leaving on a Thursday through Monday, there should be National Park Service Trails and Rails volunteer interpreters on board as far as Atlanta. Come back to the lounge car and talk to them and get some literature from their information table,
We met Del, he said to tell you "hi".

If you're leaving on a Thursday through Monday, there should be National Park Service Trails and Rails volunteer interpreters on board as far as Atlanta. Come back to the lounge car and talk to them and get some literature from their information table,
We met Del, he said to tell you "hi".
You just happened to hit a Tuesday when Rangers were on board. They usually return on Monday, but sometimes stay over and come back Tuesday or even Wednesday.

Del and I go way back volunteering on trains.

We will be on the Crescent in August 2017 from New Orleans to NYC in 2010 Bedroom B. I see that we'll be served breakfast shortly before crossing Lake Pontchartrain. Will we also be served lunch prior to arrival in NYC at 1:46 pm?

Our full trip will be from Lafayette, where we live, to New Orleans on the Sunset Limited. We will spend two nights at our timeshare there before boarding the Crescent. Once we arrive in NYC, we will board the Northeast Regional to New Haven.

My husband and I have done most of the Amtrak routes in the USA and took Via Rail all the way across Canada from Montreal to Vancouver. It's been a couple of years since our last train trip, so we're looking forward to this one!

We will be on the Crescent in August 2017 from New Orleans to NYC in 2010 Bedroom B. I see that we'll be served breakfast shortly before crossing Lake Pontchartrain. Will we also be served lunch prior to arrival in NYC at 1:46 pm?

Our full trip will be from Lafayette, where we live, to New Orleans on the Sunset Limited. We will spend two nights at our timeshare there before boarding the Crescent. Once we arrive in NYC, we will board the Northeast Regional to New Haven.

My husband and I have done most of the Amtrak routes in the USA and took Via Rail all the way across Canada from Montreal to Vancouver. It's been a couple of years since our last train trip, so we're looking forward to this one!
If you leave NOL on a Thursday through Monday, you will likely have National Park Service Trails and Rails volunteers on board as far as ATL to interpret and explain your journey.

If you leave NOL on a Thursday through Monday, you will likely have National Park Service Trails and Rails volunteers on board as far as ATL to interpret and explain your journey.
We leave NOL on Sunday and arrive in NYC on Monday. We have enjoyed docents on the Westbound Sunset Limited and on the California Zephyr between Reno and Sacramento.

You MAY be served lunch prior to your arrival in NYC.

However, since once the Crescent leaves WAS it's "discharge only" it will often make up time north of WAS and I've seen it arrive in NYC an hour or more early.

What this means is that often they will serve an abbreviated lunch and stop serving by Philly. Ask at breakfast to check details.

Good luck.

I'm on the Crescent SB today and NB on Sunday.

There's a small cubby hole in the bedroom, much like a roomette. It isn't very big though.

The red cap will only help you get from the platform to inside Penn Station, but I'm sure if you ask, they'll point you to which exit you should use for cabs. Remember you can also take the subway from Penn Station to your hotel if you want - they connect directly - but it is a pain lugging bags through the subway.
The Crescent is a Viewliner train. As such there is a large baggage storage area over the bedroom bath. You could fit at least four large pieces of baggage up there.

We leave NOL on Sunday and arrive in NYC on Monday. We have enjoyed docents on the Westbound Sunset Limited and on the California Zephyr between Reno and Sacramento.
Thanks for the info. We have had very abbreviated lunches offered on other trains as well. If lunch is included, we would rather not have to buy it in Penn Station! ;)

On Crescent from NOL, is breakfast served, or should we eat before going to station?
I just realized this is over a year old but don't see a way to delete my response. So, just disregard.

Back