Izaak Walton Inn, Essex Montana

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just spoke to Izaak Walton Inn today (2/8/17). They have 6 ft of snow, minimum, on the ground. Guests set to detrain there on both #7 and #8 are not going to make it for several more days, they think. It's going to be a late season for opening GTTS Rd. and for hiking in higher elevations, let alone the ramifications of snow melt.

My reason for calling was to make sure they would let me ship a box containing my hiking gear and clothes to them so I don't have to carry it with me in Toronto, Vancouver, and Seattle or on the trains involved in my itinerary. They were very accommodating, and agreed to ship it back to me on a certain date so long as I packaged it up, labelled it, and paid them the UPS charge. Very customer-oriented attitude these folks!

I stayed a night at the Inn a year ago in winter and can't wait to go again once in summer. The rail-themed interiors are awesome and the basement has a ton of train related books and paraphernalia to spend hours.

Here is the morning EB pulling in by the Inn.

12289591_10153916521736019_4520885628235919828_n.jpg

I stayed a night at the Inn a year ago in winter and can't wait to go again once in summer. The rail-themed interiors are awesome and the basement has a ton of train related books and paraphernalia to spend hours.

Here is the morning EB pulling in by the Inn.

12289591_10153916521736019_4520885628235919828_n.jpg
Wow, that's a gorgeous picture!

While hiking in Yosemite, I was told by an off-duty ranger that bear spray is illegal in Yosemite because it is considered a weapon. Does anyone know which parks prohibit bear spray, and in particular, if Glacier prohibits bear spray?
That's interesting, since it's widely and readily available in Yellowstone and Grand Teton. Though the bear risk might be, is probably, greater in Wyoming that the Sierra's (or so I guess, probably incorrectly).

I've purchased some bear spray, but damned if I know the best way to use it. In the East where I do most of my hiking and backpacking we only have black bears, which can be a little dangerous but most often are not. Guess I have some learnin' to do.
Yellowstone, Grand Teton, and Glacier all allow bear spray per their website. Infact, Yellowstone allows one to RENT bear spray. The Yosemite park website doesn't mention bear spray. Grizzly bears and black bears are present in MT and WY. Yosemite only mentions black bears, perhaps the difference in rules?

Yellowstone NPS website has a video on proper use of bear spray.

The NPS Rangers have a safe bear spray training video on YouTube. We carried it religiously in YNP and Glacier. It is outlawed in Yosemite and there is a fine for leaving food in a vehicle there. Enjoy the trip

Back