Capitol Limited - current consist?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NativeSon5859

Conductor
I'm taking 29 WAS-CHI in about three weeks. Just curious as to the current consist of the train since I haven't been on it in about 9 years. I'm in the 2901 car, room E.

That should be 2 cars ahead of the diner. Probably will have a CCC diner with the snack bar attendant in that car and only the top level of the Sightseer lounge open.

Good chance your car will be right next to the engine too, so bring some earplugs if you can't sleep with a loud train horn

The current winter 'lowercase limited':

Locomotive (one)

Sleeper 2901

Sleeper 2900

Diner (37000 series)

Lounge (33000 series)

Coach/Bag

Coach

Thanks! I was able to change my room assignment to the 2900 car.

That's a pretty small train...at least they still have the Lounge!

Are you sure they have removed the transition sleeper which would be next to the engine? Some of the Western LD trains did that in 2015 but they were added back in 2016 and remain on the Winter consists this year? I don't know about the Capitol Limited.

Watching the Chesterton, In rail camera over the past few days there is not a transition sleeper on the Cap right now.

The Transition Sleeper (39000 series) is not part of the lowercase limited. One may operate/deadhead on select days as needed but won't run regularly until the full Capital Limited returns.

Today's Capitol Limited as seen at NOMA pulling into Washington

Two P42DC

Ocean View full dome

Viewliner II baggage car

Transition car

Three sleepers

Cross Country Cafe

Sightseer Lounge

Coach Baggage

Coach.

Two P42DC

Ocean View full dome

Viewliner II baggage car

Transition car

Three sleepers

Cross Country Cafe

Sightseer Lounge

Coach Baggage

Coach.
This would be one of those 'select days' where extra equipment was operating/deadheading. The dome was obviously deadheading ahead of the baggage, and the bag, transition sleeper, and one sleeper will not be turning with the set when it heads back to Chicago tomorrow.

Consist order has reversed, now coaches up front, sleepers rear.

Also an expanded car count heading west Monday.

I was on the CL on Friday and there were 2 coaches in the rear (one normal, one baggage coach), SSL, CCC, then sleepers up front. No transitional dorm or baggage. They have to use a transitional dorm when they deadheaded the great dome because of risk of damage to the diaphragms (vestibule cushions) if the bi-levels are put next to single level equipment.

CL #30 consist evening of 1/23/17 on the Chesterton, In railcam was, front to back, two coaches, SL, CCC, two sleepers. Last night the SSL was behind the CCC and before the sleepers making me wonder how the CCC staff monitored sleeper traffic.

CL 29 yesterday (1-26-2017) had one locomotive, coach (for short hauls), coach baggage, SSL, CCC, and two sleepers at the rear. CL 30 (1-25-2017) appeared to be the same.

Now is the time to ride the C!! Light load, plenty of room in SSL and diner and best of all the rear window is back for sleeper rail fans.
This is a revolting development. I'm heading to Florida from the Midwest in a few days and opted to take the LSL, spending a night in NY. I didn't want a repeat a bad experience last year right behind the lone engine. Two coaches, a SSL, and diner would have been enough of a buffer.

I guess Amtrak publishing these technical details is not possible.

Now is the time to ride the C!! Light load, plenty of room in SSL and diner and best of all the rear window is back for sleeper rail fans.
This is a revolting development. I'm heading to Florida from the Midwest in a few days and opted to take the LSL, spending a night in NY. I didn't want a repeat a bad experience last year right behind the lone engine. Two coaches, a SSL, and diner would have been enough of a buffer.
They change this around during the winter. Are you traveling coach or sleeper?

Two P42DC

Ocean View full dome

Viewliner II baggage car

Transition car

Three sleepers

Cross Country Cafe

Sightseer Lounge

Coach Baggage

Coach.
This would be one of those 'select days' where extra equipment was operating/deadheading. The dome was obviously deadheading ahead of the baggage, and the bag, transition sleeper, and one sleeper will not be turning with the set when it heads back to Chicago tomorrow.
The Ocean View deadheaded on Train #29 yesterday (1/28/17) out of DC...
Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

They change this around during the winter. Are you traveling coach or sleeper?
Eliminating the second engine, baggage car, and transition sleeper has become normal. Putting the sleepers on the rear is not. I'm traveling in sleeper and what I'm disappointed about is that I would have book the CL if I had known they would be moved the back.

Back