Chicago Metropolitan Lounge

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having a bag stolen/taken by mistake off the train is a much different, and much more likely occurrence, than having a bag stolen/taken by mistake in a bag storage area of a sleeper/business pax lounge.

As someone else mentioned, worry about things that are way more likely to happen.

I have mobility impairment and am a very slow walker. When I reserved my roomette, I specifically requested assistance at the station. I'm planning to wait in the lounge prior to boarding. So, what assistance should I expect? Is it just having a red cap schlep my luggage, or is there something more? Are there golf-cart-type vehicles that could get me closer? I'd dearly love to not have to limp my way to the very far end of a long train if that's where my roomette is. And I'll need help getting my luggage up the stairs.

Actually, in my journey I'll be arriving and departing Chicago TWICE (each way). What assistance is available when arriving in Chicago?

If the assistance is something other than a red cap, what do I have to do at the station to make myself known to whoever's going to assist me?

Thanks!

The red caps have golf cart electric vehicles and take you out to your car on those along with your bags, providing the kind of assistance you need. Either the sleeping car attendant or the red cap will help you with you luggage up the stairs in the car.

You'd ask for a red cap at the Metropolitan Lounge in Chicago. Arriving Chicago, they are usually by the door to the car. The SCA may ask you if you want a red cap. If you want to really make sure upon arrival, ask the conductor to make sure and have a red cap for you and he'll radio ahead. The red caps may make multiple trips, so you might not get the first one, but you will get one.

Unless something has changed, CUS redcaps use golfcarts.... let them know when you check in in the lounge that you require assistance The above poster spells it out well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let us know how it works out, enjoy your trip. Rail travel is about relaxing, don't stress about the little things, they have a way of working out.
I agree. Being less-than-able-bodied, there are certain things I need to know ahead of time, but I enjoy going with the flow as much as possible. I'm ready for an adventure!

My trip isn't till May and June, but you bet I'll be back with a trip report afterwards.

have a 5-hour layover at Chicago Union Station... is there anything interesting to kill time? Don't want to hang around the lounge... and also don't want to go eat or drink in or near the station. :) Are there lockers for storing my carry-on bag and backpack for a few hours?

Thanks!

Lots of things you can do in 5 hours!

Chicago Water Taxi leaves from just outside the station If you want to see chicago by boat (Chicago River runs right through the city).

Millennium Park with the cloud gate (aka bean) is a nice place to walk around with great views of the skyline. (You can walk, Uber, or bus it... Not far from the station).

The news came out last week about the new agreement reached with USDOT that provides a path for obtaining $1 billion in federal funding, primarily loans it appears, to advance the projects to modernize Chicago Union Station. Debated about starting a new thread on the announcement, but since there are a number of Chicago Union Station related threads, decided to note it here as the funding should allow Amtrak and the city to proceed with a number of improvement projects following the new lounge opening.

Amtrak news release: Agreement Creates Path to Federal Backing for West Loop. Some excerpts:

CHICAGO The City of Chicagos ambitious plans to modernize and transform Chicago Union Station and the surrounding West Loop area received a major boost today with the announcement by Mayor Rahm Emanuel, Amtrak, Metra and the RTA that the U.S. Department of Transportation (USDOT) Build America Bureau and the City of Chicago are entering into an Emerging Projects Agreement (EmPA), under which Chicago can work closely with USDOT with the ultimate goal of seeking up to $1 billion in federal funding for the project.

The EmPA allows USDOT to offer enhanced technical assistance on complex, large scale projects seeking low-cost federal credit through the Build America Bureaus innovative programs, including TIFIA (Transportation Infrastructure Finance and Innovation Act) Program and RRIF (Railroad Rehabilitation and Improvement Financing). TIFIA has provided more than $26 billion in credit assistance around the country, including loans for the CTA and Chicagos acclaimed Riverwalk; RRIF has provided $5 billion in loans for projects around the country.

Among the improvements that could be funded under the agreement are the following:

• Renovation of the Canal Street Union Station Lobby.
  • Rehabilitation of the Great Hall skylight and dome structure.
  • Renovation and expansion of the Adams Street and Jackson Street entrances.
  • Expansion of the Union Station Concourse.
  • Widening of platforms.
  • Improvement of ADA accessibility throughout the station, including installation of an elevator at the Canal Street Headhouse.
  • Reconstruction of the Canal Street and Harrison Street viaducts.
  • Construction of pedestrian tunnels connecting Union Station to Metras Ogilvie Station and to the CTA Blue Line stop at Clinton Street.
A pedestrian tunnel to the Blue Line Clinton Street station would be a big plus for trips to/from CHI in bad weather or with luggage in tow. Could happen in a few years.

Wow, they're actually implementing the Master Plan. On an accelerated schedule. This is really great news.

The master plan includes converting the mail platforms into a high-level platform for the single-level trains, with a new underground waiting room. I really look forward to that.

Wow, they're actually implementing the Master Plan. On an accelerated schedule. This is really great news.

The master plan includes converting the mail platforms into a high-level platform for the single-level trains, with a new underground waiting room. I really look forward to that.
An accelerated schedule for an infrastructure project? Unheard of! :p

I liked the lounge the first time . . . roomy, handy, close to the redcaps. Second time, though, one of the couches was soaked with urine. I discovered it the hard way. Within ten minutes of my informing the gatekeepers of the problem, the old couch had been whisked away and a new one installed.

I suspect an old person had fallen asleep . . . and into incontinence.

I liked the lounge the first time . . . roomy, handy, close to the redcaps. Second time, though, one of the couches was soaked with urine. I discovered it the hard way. Within ten minutes of my informing the gatekeepers of the problem, the old couch had been whisked away and a new one installed. I suspect an old person had fallen asleep . . . and into incontinence.
Disgusting. Not the soaking of the couch so much as quietly leaving it for another guest to randomly discover. If someone can't keep from pissing themselves in public they should wear a diaper. If they can't change their diaper responsibly they should stay home. If they've reached the age of incontinence they've already had a good run and it's time to make way for other folks to enjoy their lives in a urine-free setting.

Soiling of the furniture (by whatever means, including spilling of drinks) may be frequent enough so that Amtrak keeps a few extras to use while the originals are being cleaned.

Actually, the maintenance and servicing of the Lounge beyond the reception area is operated by consulting contractors and not Amtrak personnel. When I was in lounge very early one morning last October, the very friendly Amtrak hostess shared the changes on how the new Metropolitan Lounge was now operated and maintained by contractors and the Amtrak personnel were not allowed to do anything such as change TV channels, clean up and stock the coffee and beverage area. So the contractors are the one's who provide the snacks and wine mid-day and would be the one's who cleaned and exchanged furniture as it is needed.

I have visited the Chicago Metropolitan Lounge once or twice a year for the past 8 years with my cross country trips and really liked it, especially when I was stuck there because of a late departure. I was there last June, shortly before it closed and just missed visiting the new Lounge. I have always brought food into the Metropolitan Lounge, waiting for departure of the Lake Shore Limited, in particular, as there is no dinner on the Lake Shore, due to its late departure. There hasn't even been a wine and cheese reception since it was cut early in 2013. I was aware that Club Acela did not allow outside food, but I did not know that the Metropolitan Lounge had the same policy? Perhaps, they have not made an issue of it at Chicago because the late departing Lake Shore did not serve dinner? As I make this trip a couple of times a year, it is actually going to be a minor hassle not being able to bring my modest dinner back to the new lounge.

Beyond this, I take exception with those who stated that Sleeping car passengers have no right to expect extra consideration. The Amtrak employees have made it clear that Sleeping car passengers do deserve special consideration with the great service I have received on every long distance trip I have taken. I can remember the Lake Shore Limited actually had a sign on the sleeper that said First Class and I was on a Lake Shore trip out of Boston, just a couple of years ago, and they announced that the Cafe was closing to serve lunch to the "First Class" Sleeping car passengers. The lunch was just a choice of a salad or a sandwich and chips, sodas plus a nice ice cream for dessert, but did I feel special? You bet I did! I have been riding Amtrak since I was a child, my step-father drove the Lake Shore Limited and a number of other trains until his retirement, and I love Amtrak.

When we were passing through Chicago two things I noticed about the Metropolitan Lounge. First, they do allow food to be eaten in the lounge. You have to use the low tables in the entry area by the front desk. The problem with that is that people like to sit there and chat. The Lounge attendants kept announcing that the tables were "JUST FOR PASSENGERS WITH OUTSIDE FOOD", but most of the tables were taken up by people just sitting there talking.

TEPz72p.jpg

Not the best view of the tables, but you can just see one in front of the desk.

The second thing is when we were sitting upstairs, a teenager came up to the Jackson Street door and walked right in. The door was not locked and no alarm went off. That seemed really odd. She walked up to the vacant desk and asked me if this is where the agent was? I told her to go downstairs and they would aim her in the right direction.

The photo in the above post is of the reception area leading into the actual lounge. This reception area is the only area of the lounge Amtrak personnel are responsible for and I've never seen anyone eating is this reception area at the low tables. The rest of the lounge is operated and maintained by contract and outside food is not allowed. There is a snack and beverage bar area with tables in the first room inside the contractor controlled lounge area. The do serve veggie type snacks and a wine bar around 12:30 PM every day.

The photo in the above post is of the reception area leading into the actual lounge. This reception area is the only area of the lounge Amtrak personnel are responsible for and I've never seen anyone eating is this reception area at the low tables. The rest of the lounge is operated and maintained by contract and outside food is not allowed. There is a snack and beverage bar area with tables in the first room inside the contractor controlled lounge area. The do serve veggie type snacks and a wine bar around 12:30 PM every day.
When I was there, only one table was being used by someone eating. The other three had people chatting. I think someone came in and needed a place to eat, that is why the counter lady made the announcement about the tables.

The door on Jackson St should not of been open... I've had times where I couldn't even leave out that way
I thought that was weird too, I was very surprised that there was no alarm like the sign said.

Back