I could use some help planning a trip out west

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Slight correction KmH: It's the Texas Eagle #422 from LAX-CHI.

And Ive stayed at the Vagabond in SAC several times for less than $75 a night so you must have gotten a heck of a deal on your motel.

Also the breakfasts at the Vagabond Cafe are reasonable and good, and the Cafe next door (Perks?) is a Denny's Class joint. There is also a Starbucks close to the Amtrak Station for those that like that sort of place and of course the California Rail Museum and Old Sacramento are right next to the Station and The Vagabond.
My ticket shows me on train #2 (Sunset Limited) out of LA on a Wednesday.

A #2 roomette (behind the trans dorm and adjacent to the dining car) was less (about 1/2) for the first part of the trip compared to a #422 roomette (at the end of the same train) for the same trip segment.

My ticket shows I move to the #422 in Alpine Thursday evening - so I don't have to disembark in SAS for the reconfiguration.

When I was booking accommodations in Sacramento the lowest I could book the Vagabond was $140.

The Econo Lodge was $63. The Econo Lodge also included a nice continental breakfast.

The restaurant adjacent to the Vagabond is Perko's.

Thanks for the clarification KmH! And I guess the Vagabond is going upscale, you did get a good deal in SAC on the Hotel.

Also you're fortunate to do your change from #2 to the #422 Sleeper in Alpine instead of in SAS as I'm sure you realize.

It looks like I'll be able to save a few bucks by buying a usa railpass for the different segments of my trip, then I'll pay for the upgrade to roomettes. Can I use my amtrak guest reward points to buy a usa railpass?

It looks like I'll be able to save a few bucks by buying a usa railpass for the different segments of my trip, then I'll pay for the upgrade to roomettes. Can I use my amtrak guest reward points to buy a usa railpass?
No. Has to be bought with a credit card unless you buy through a travel agent.

So I plan on getting a roomette for my trip. and I was wondering, on the CZ (chi-sac) leg of my trip, is it better to have a sleeper on the left side of the train? Seems like that side of the train would have the view of the Colorado river. Also, if I wanted to pick a specific room, would I have to go through a travel agent?

So I plan on getting a roomette for my trip. and I was wondering, on the CZ (chi-sac) leg of my trip, is it better to have a sleeper on the left side of the train? Seems like that side of the train would have the view of the Colorado river. Also, if I wanted to pick a specific room, would I have to go through a travel agent?
Unfortunately, there's no way to determine if a room will be on the left/right side of the train, due to the random way cars can be hooked up. If I end up on the "wrong" side of the train, I just go to the lounge car to see the view from both sides. :)

You can call Amtrak to ask for a specific room. They'll let you know what's available and set it up for you. I've done that many times.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to hijack the original poster's thread, but I have a very similar query.

I plan to take the California Zephyr westbound from Chicago later this year, just to overdose on scenery (motto: "It's not flyover country") and enjoy some train time. No slur on the terrific Southwest Chief, but I've done it...at least, the Chicago-to-Albuquerque portion.

I will fly back, because I have some airline miles expiring at the end of September.

Questions:

• When: I could do the trip in May or September. Your recommendation? Daylight is slightly longer in May, but I'm not sure that's a deciding factor.
  • Where: Once I get to CA, I'm toying with whether to go north or south on the Coastal Starlight. (Meaning, I'd fly back to DC from Los Angeles, or maybe San Diego with the help of the Surfliner; or alternatively from Seattle or Portland.) Which direction on the Starlight would you recommend for this easterner? And, given that I'll be arriving on the Zephyr, would you recommend catching the Starlight (after an overnight) from Emeryville or Sacramento?
In other words, potential itineraries are CHI->SAC->LAX->SAN, CHI->EMY->SEA, and various permutations. If it's any help: besides scenery, I'm also an architecture buff, so seeing some fine buildings (including train stations) and well-preserved neighborhoods is an attraction.

The CZ will probably have fewer people on it in May than in September.

May is at the end of low season and September is at the tail end of high season.

I would take the CS to LA so I could ride the train along the 100 miles or so next to the Pacific Ocean in California.

I was thinking about my trip, and I will be arriving in sacremento at 2pm on the cz, as long as it's on time. And the California state railroad museum closes at 5pm, I would really like to see it. Should I build in some extra time in my trip in case the CZ is running a little behind?

Also, I will be traveling on a 8 segment usa railpass, but I'm only using 5 segments, so I basically have some flexibility of free travel for 3 segments. Is there anything else worth seeing on a spare day? San Francisco? Yosemite?

Just so you don't have to read through the whole thread my trip is as follows:

Pitt-chi on Capitol limited

Chi-sac on California zephyr

Sac-lax on coast starlight

Lax-chi on Southwest chief

Chi-pitt on Capitol limited

I was thinking about my trip, and I will be arriving in sacremento at 2pm on the cz, as long as it's on time. And the California state railroad museum closes at 5pm, I would really like to see it. Should I build in some extra time in my trip in case the CZ is running a little behind?

Also, I will be traveling on a 8 segment usa railpass, but I'm only using 5 segments, so I basically have some flexibility of free travel for 3 segments. Is there anything else worth seeing on a spare day? San Francisco? Yosemite?

Just so you don't have to read through the whole thread my trip is as follows:

Pitt-chi on Capitol limited

Chi-sac on California zephyr

Sac-lax on coast starlight

Lax-chi on Southwest chief

Chi-pitt on Capitol limited
Love the California State Railroad Museum. They do have a reciprocal membership agreement (North American Reciprocal Museum Association) with some museums, although I think there's a requirement for a fairly high level. I had a membership there for a couple of years, and it was a bargain. It was barely more than the cost of two adult admissions and two trips on the excursion train. It was good for myself and one adult guest. My kid was free then, and we could spend an hour upstairs at their wooden train tables.

The issue with going to Yosemite is that the bus counts as a segment. Even something short like the Emeryville-San Francisco bus counts as a segment, even though it doesn't add anything to the cost of a cash fare on an LD train. Round trip would use 4 segments. You could just pay for the bus segment with cash. It's not an Amtrak bus (the system is called YARTS), although Amtrak passengers typically get the highest priority since they have reservations while other riders are considered walk-up. YARTS is only $13 from Merced Amtrak to Yosemite Valley.

http://yarts.com/tickets-and-fares/

Hmmm, so what do you think? The number 5 California zephyr will be arriving at sacremento at 2pm, and the museum closes at 5pm. Is that cutting things a little too close?

You'll still have to spend a night in Sacramento. The museum opens 10 or 11 the next morning. Don't get up early to get on the southbound CS. Spend the time

at the museum and then ride a later train to Emeryville or over to SF (pay cash) instead of using a segment or 2.

The place I like to stay in SAC is the HI Hostel (10th & H) within walking distance of the station. It is a Victorian mansion.

https://www.californiarailroad.museum/

The rest of Old Sac is interesting too.

I highly recommend the California State Railroad Museum and suggest you make time to see it. Sometimes the Zephyr can be a little late getting into Sacramento and other times it can be very late so I think you are taking a risk thinking you can tour the museum the same afternoon you arrive in Sacrament. It can be done and 3 hours would be ample time to visit the museum. The latest I have encountered arriving Sacramento on the Zephyr was in August when we pulled five private cars behind us. We lost 2 hours in Denver alone parking the private cars, then parking the Zephyr on the boarding track followed by departing the station and backing back up to pick up the private cars. By the time we arrived Sacramento we were 5 hours late and got the free dinner which is served to both coach and sleeper passengers when the train is late and will arrive after the evening meal time. I do admit I have only had this really late arrival that one time as I ride the Zephyr 2 to 4 times a year and normally arrive Emeryville close to on time. It is probable that the Zephyr can be 30 minutes to 1 hour late arriving Sacaramento so don't expect the get to the museum most days until around 3 PM. While doable that will really rush you. I don't know the procedure in the museum for closing since they may let those already in the museum a few extra minutes.

I highly recommend the California State Railroad Museum and suggest you make time to see it. Sometimes the Zephyr can be a little late getting into Sacramento and other times it can be very late so I think you are taking a risk thinking you can tour the museum the same afternoon you arrive in Sacrament. It can be done and 3 hours would be ample time to visit the museum. The latest I have encountered arriving Sacramento on the Zephyr was in August when we pulled five private cars behind us. We lost 2 hours in Denver alone parking the private cars, then parking the Zephyr on the boarding track followed by departing the station and backing back up to pick up the private cars. By the time we arrived Sacramento we were 5 hours late and got the free dinner which is served to both coach and sleeper passengers when the train is late and will arrive after the evening meal time. I do admit I have only had this really late arrival that one time as I ride the Zephyr 2 to 4 times a year and normally arrive Emeryville close to on time. It is probable that the Zephyr can be 30 minutes to 1 hour late arriving Sacaramento so don't expect the get to the museum most days until around 3 PM. While doable that will really rush you. I don't know the procedure in the museum for closing since they may let those already in the museum a few extra minutes.
Thank you! You talked me into it, I'm going to plan on staying an extra day in sacremento. Ive never been to sacremento, but from the looks of things, there is lots to do around old town.

Sacramento is kind of interesting, but I wouldn't say there's that much about Old Sac other than the railroad museum. Most of Old Sacramento is more or less tourist trap businesses like souvenir shops and candy stores. They do have horse buggy rides. It starts at $10 for a trip around Old Sac up to longer rides to the Capitol Buklding and back.

One possibility in May would be a minor league baseball game. The Sacramento River Cats play in West Sacramento, and it's a reasonable walk there. You'd have to check the schedule.

Sacramento has a lot of museums, but they're spread out. It's also a government town, so it can be very busy on weekdays and almost dead on weekend.

Not sure what it's like with the new Golden 1 Center. The shopping center that was at that site was kind of sad and in decline.

Back