California Zephyr 2017 Winter Consist Now in Effect - Began 1/11/2017

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tennessee Traveler

Conductor
I have verified via the MH Tower Railcam in Chicago that the California Zephyr has begun conversion to Winter Consist effective with CZ 5 that departed 1/11 and the CZ 5 that departed today 1/12. Not sure when the CZ 6 will be since they still have one additional set of CZ equipment in Oakland. Only when the CZ 5 in Winter consist are turned and become CZ 6 will the CZ 6 be converted but it still should be within four to six days.

Here is the Winter Consist as observed departing Chicago on both 1/11 and 1/12:

Engines

Baggage Car

Transition Sleeper

Sleeper 532(632)

Sleeper 531(631)

Dining Car

Sightseer Lounge

Coach

Coach

I did confirm only two sleepers and two coaches for now.

I apologize if this information is covered in another topic.

I think the baggage car,transition sleeper.and second engine would have to be removed (like the Capitol Limited) for it to meet the definition of "winter consist".

The Winter Consist for the CZ for me means the sleepers move to the front followed by the dining car, SSL, and "only" two coaches bringing up the rear. Two year ago they did remove the transition sleeper and moved the SSL to be right behind the engines but that only lasted a few weeks due to "unpopular demand".

The CONO runs with just one engine year round so I don't see the problem of only one engine on the Capitol Limited. So far the Capitol Limited keeps it's Chef so no problem.

Would the two engines be required for the grade? The CONO and Capitol both run relatively flat routes and can get by without the extra traction.

The 6 was shown leaving EMY 4 hours late yesterday but at least it made it to Reno where I think it was then 6 hours late. Hope the schedule gets back on track by Saturday when I head to CHI. What a week! That's enough rain and snow for now, thank you very much.

The Winter Consist for the CZ for me means the sleepers move to the front followed by the dining car, SSL, and "only" two coaches bringing up the rear.
It is a consist change that occurs in the winter so I do not see how it fails to meet the definition of a winter consist.
I was thinking of a "runt consist" like the Capitol Limited, not the sleeper position swap. I ride between the Midwest and Denver all times of the year and never know where the sleepres will be.

The CONO runs with just one engine year round so I don't see the problem of only one engine on the Capitol Limited.
The problem is that with the runt consists there is nothing between the bedrooms and the horn. Makes for a very unpleasant ride. With the CoNO, at least there is the transition sleeper.

The good news here is that both Tennessee and I will be able to verify the CZ consist, both for #5 and #6, in person within the next three weeks!

Actually you can verify the CZ Winter consist now by watching the CZ 5 depart Chicago at 2 PM everyday via Railstream.com's MH Tower cam. I just saw the 1/13 CZ 5 depart and it is third day of the consist I listed in comment #1 above. Because the Sierras snow situation and ?? number of old consists still in Oakland, this Winter consist will probably show up on the CZ 6 either tomorrow 1/14 or Sunday 1/15. Only Amtrak knows how they have or are resolving the extra set of equipment in Oakland. On Trainorders one of the commenters indicated Amtrak returned the equipment without passengers a couple days ago but I have no way of knowing if that was rumor or actual fact.

I boarded the CZ #6 in SAC and yes the sleepers are in the front. It was only a few minutes late from the Bay Area. I should be seeing lots of snow soon!

Only Amtrak knows how they have or are resolving the extra set of equipment in Oakland.
Amtrak #6(12) ran as two combined California Zephyr sets. I saw it pass through Agency, Iowa running over seven hours late.

Nice train! Wonder if the Buckets were all Low on the Regular Consist since so many seats were available on a 14 Car Consist? (probably not since the Second consist was no doubt deadheaded!)

Bet the Spots and Station Work took awhile, especially in Denver!

Agent, thanks for sharing. There did seem to be extra sleepers in the forward consist possibly for passengers who were bumped or delayed. My assumption is that the second followup consist at the end was empty of passengers.

I boarded the CZ #6 in SAC and yes the sleepers are in the front. It was only a few minutes late from the Bay Area. I should be seeing lots of snow soon!
Have a great trip. I'll be heading west from Chicago in 11 days. Hope what snow is there stays but not any new huge snow storm.
Be careful what you don't wish for: Five consecutive days of snow are forecast to begin on 18 January. Accumulations of 8 to 10 feet at higher elevations are likely.

Here is an consist update for those interested, based on my trip on Train #6 that arrived in CHI on January 29th. The train left Emeryville with front-to-back baggage car, transition sleeper, two sleepers, diner, lounge, and four coaches. Two coaches were taken off in Reno, and the remaining two coaches continued on to Chicago.

So, yes, sleepers in the front, with coaches added Emeryville to Reno.

Back