Zephyr Jan 13th

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericjeeper

Train Attendant
We will be going west.

Surely the high water will be down by then.

Is the recent snowfall out west going to cause any significant delays?

I'm on the Zephyr this Saturday going from Sacramento to Chicago.

Hopefully the track washout will be fixed by then and the snow blower trains will keep Donner summit open.

Fingers crossed!

I believe the Feather River Route is still open (lots and lots of freight traffic, much more than normal) and both UP and BNSF are routing their normally Donner-route trains via this way.

Little chance, but it would be an awesome trip if the Zephyrs could return "home" for just a little bit until Donner is well again.

We are also having some major snow issues here in Colorado. There are avalanche warnings that I haven't seen... ever. Snow resorts have closed due to too much snow. Be prepared for just about anything.

15977717_1860140894014261_5544178176315227798_n.jpg

No CZs running west of Reno today again. Still snowing today at Donner Pass, but a dry spell expected starting on 12 January.

Also, I caught the CZ 5 departing Chicago today 1/10 on the MH Cam. This CZ was newly assembled in Chicago since a number 6 did not arrive yesterday. Biggest news is that it was sleepers and dining car at the front before the SSL and coaches. Only 2 sleepers and 2 coaches in addition to the transition sleeper and baggage car. I wonder if this is the official beginning of the sleepers up front for Winter and Spring configuration?

CZs are crossing the Sierra Nevada tonight, albeit with intentional delay-holds of 3 hours for each direction to provide work window for clearing snow.

Snowing again today, but more lightly. Expect to see 6 feet deep near Donner Pass.

Back