CS 14 Tehachapi Detour February 2017?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Within that span I'd be traveling between The Diego and San Luis Obispo. Usually stick to the Surfliner, but it's enjoyable to thrown in the Coast Starlight as a wrinkle now and again. As such, I was interested and did a quick check.

A check of bookability (wow, a new word!) of one way travel from LAX to SLO on 5 February 2017 shows AMTK 14 as an option. Additionally, within the train 14 selection it appears as though sleeping accommodations are bookable, seeming to imply that trip isn't converted to a bus.

This is a data point and not proof as we've seen the reservation system, as is evident on the reservation web page, to be delayed in changes after such changes are announced.

--Bill

After doing a little more digging, it looks like LA Rail will be attaching a private car for the Tehachapi detour Feb 5 and Feb 11, so there seems to be at least some truth to it. Odd that the coast stations would still be bookable this close to the known detour.

Here's the information about the private car:

http://larail.com/public/loop2016.html

Last edited by a moderator:
After doing a little more digging, it looks like LA Rail will be attaching a private car for the Tehachapi detour Feb 5 and Feb 11, so there seems to be at least some truth to it. Odd that the coast stations would still be bookable this close to the known detour.

Here's the information about the private car:

http://larail.com/public/loop2016.html
That is because until the host confirms the operation, the space will still show available.

I read it will take Metrolink's Antelope Valley Line up to Palmdale. Then of course Tehachapi over to Bakersfield. I'm not sure if the plan is to use the Altamont Pass, but I assume so if it'll be making the stop at Oakland Jack London.

The AAA rate at the Waterfront Hotel in Oakland is $514 and is included in the $650 tab for the trip. Wish there was a way to spend just the $136 for the round trip train ride, the (probably) five included meals, drinks and snacks. <sigh> :p

Thanks for the heads up....I've been eagerly awaiting the opportunity to experience this rare mileage... :cool:

It sure would be nice, but I have to fly home the next day, so wouldn't want to pay the round trip fare on the PV...

I'm shocked the other LAX cars aren't attempting to go as well. Most PV owners will work with someone who only wants to go one way.
It might be worth a phone call....but if they can fill the car with round trip bookings, not likely they'll sell a one way....

I'm shocked the other LAX cars aren't attempting to go as well. Most PV owners will work with someone who only wants to go one way.
Beyond a certain train length a third engine must be added and the PV owners must pay all the incremental costs of that third engine. This can be a financial deal breaker for the PV owner(s).

That's interesting...so the first PV(s), that book, and fall under that limit are excluded from that shared cost of a third engine, if later PV's cause the two engine limit to be exceeded? Or do they also have to come up with a share of the added expense? Just curious of how that works...

Which additional cars are you talking about? The other LA rail cars? The site says if the demand is there additional cars will be added.

That's what I was referring to because tioga really is low capacity. I was expecting something higher.
You are expecting a higher capacity car when it is not needed?

The site clearly says if more than 15 tickets are sold additional cars will be added. Personally.. if Silver Splendor gets added I may not be able to turn that one down. As it is the trip is on my radar... I've never ridden the loop.

It might be worth a phone call....but if they can fill the car with round trip bookings, not likely they'll sell a one way....
I just spoke with the owner, Norm....said that he was told that the detour route would be set back further, by the Union Pacific...also that he wouldn't be using the

Tioga Pass, as he chartered it out elsewhere....but that the Silver Splendor dome car would go instead, when the dates are finalized.

He also said that he couldn't sell one way, as he would have trouble selling the return on the regular CS route, although he said it might be a possibility, depending on whether he sells out the car or not....

LA Rail is no longer listing Tioga Pass for this detour (at least in their public trips although you can still get to the page via the link posted earlier in this thread). I believe I read on Trainorders that the work dates have been pushed back.

I'm following this. Would love to do this and easy for us to fly to LA in the a.m. and hop on the train home!!!

I'm following this. Would love to do this and easy for us to fly to LA in the a.m. and hop on the train home!!!
Quite doable. I did this with a flight out of Oakland to LAX for one of the northbound detours several years ago. On that trip I took the Light Rail links from LAX to LAUPT, but there are now direct nonstop express buses every half hour, which is probably more cost-effective.

Back