Amtrak Siemens Charger locomotive (SC44, ALC42, ALC42E) (2015 - 1Q 2024)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Planned Sprinter numbers:

• Illinois - 4601-4633
  • California - 2101-2106
  • Wisconsin - 1400-1407
WSDOT is Washington State DOT, not Wisconsin. So, IL and CA opted to start from xxx1 while WA opted to started from xxx0. Oh, a start from Zero versus One indexing issue! :eek:

Planned Sprinter numbers:

• Illinois - 4601-4633
  • California - 2101-2106
  • Wisconsin - 1400-1407
WSDOT is Washington State DOT, not Wisconsin. So, IL and CA opted to start from xxx1 while WA opted to started from xxx0. Oh, a start from Zero versus One indexing issue! :eek:
Those computer geeks in Washington prefer 0-based algorithms, right Charlie? :p

I think the NCDOT should purchase SC-44's to replace the old F59's. Those might not last for long. Besides, the SC-44's would run faster and be more environmental friendly than those older ones.

I think the NCDOT should purchase SC-44's to replace the old F59's. Those might not last for long. Besides, the SC-44's would run faster and be more environmental friendly than those older ones.
The F59PHI is capable of 110 mph. Just where does North Carolina have track where the trains can even come close to that, let alone faster? There's no need for a 125 mph locomotive.

The F59PHI is capable of 110 mph. Just where does North Carolina have track where the trains can even come close to that, let alone faster? There's no need for a 125 mph locomotive.
One presumes the SEHSR corridor eventually and the F59s are due for replacement in the next few years.

One presumes the SEHSR corridor eventually and the F59s are due for replacement in the next few years.
By the time SEHSR comes to fruition whatever replaces the F59s will probably be hitting retirement age themselves...in any case NCDOT seems to be happy buying the occasional used locomotive, I tend to doubt that will change.

IDTX4601 Siemens (CA), previously Pueblo, CO

IDTX4602 Siemens (CA), previously Pueblo, CO

IDTX4603 Siemens (CA)

IDTX4604 MARC facility at Martin State Airport, MD

IDTX4605 Pueblo, CO

IDTX4606 Pueblo, CO

IDTX4607 Siemens (CA)

IDTX4608 Pueblo, CO

IDTX4609 Pueblo, CO

IDTX4610 Siemens (CA)

Update your scorecards accordingly
Fascinating. First, it looks like Illinois gets all its locos first. It looks like Illinois has decided to do all the burn-in testing at Pueblo so I guess they'll all go to Pueblo first. 4601 and 4602 are presumably receiving mods (being the earliest two)? We know 4603 is going to Washington for what appears to be systems integration testing, which 4604 already did on the NEC. I assume that California will do its integration testing on IDTX units as well. Once that's all done, it looks like Illinois is going to get a bulk delivery of more than 10 locomotives at once. I wonder which route they'll put them on first? (Why I am asking? It'll be Chicago-St. Louis, won't it?)

Logically, yes. The St. Louis trains will probably get them first. Then there's the trains on the old IC. Are they still good for 90 MPH going down to Southern Illinois?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just remember that the Illinois units are not exclusive to IL only, they are just as likely to show up on another Midwest line first. If ten or a dozen units show up at once, they will probably spread out rapidly.

Fascinating. First, it looks like Illinois gets all its locos first. It looks like Illinois has decided to do all the burn-in testing at Pueblo so I guess they'll all go to Pueblo first. 4601 and 4602 are presumably receiving mods (being the earliest two)? We know 4603 is going to Washington for what appears to be systems integration testing, which 4604 already did on the NEC. I assume that California will do its integration testing on IDTX units as well. Once that's all done, it looks like Illinois is going to get a bulk delivery of more than 10 locomotives at once. I wonder which route they'll put them on first? (Why I am asking? It'll be Chicago-St. Louis, won't it?)
Remember, IDOT is only acting as the coordinating agency for the Midwest 3 state consortium which collectively will own the SC-44s (and the N-S bi-levels). So Michigan and Missouri have a voice in who gets the new shiny locomotives first. I expect the states have agreed to a deployment schedule by now. With two high profile 110 mph corridors, my guess is that the SC-44s will be deployed to the Lincoln and Wolverine services first with a lot of publicity. As to which would go first, yes, probably CHI-STL followed shortly by a revenue service run on a Wolverine train.

There might be one reason for NC DOT to get the Chargers. Once the "S" line is rebuilt from Petersburg - Raleigh that route may be 125 MPH capable. NC will probably provide some of the loco power for the route. It is planned to be rebuilt with no grade crossings Norlina - Petersburg.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am hoping that the CHI-STL route gets them first.

On a side note, I rode BNL - CHI and back this week. For both trips, we only went just over 100 mph on the Pontiac to Dwight section. Has the speed limit slowed down? We did not get close to 110. I also noted that the trains were running locomotives on each end, but they seem to be only running one locomotive now.

Of course, after going 100 mph from Dwight to Pontiac, we were sent to the Pontiac siding to wait for a late northbound train that was just leaving Bloomington. Not sure why the Lexington siding wasn't available, but we ended up going from 5 minutes late leaving Pontiac to 25 minutes late into Bloomington after sitting on a siding for 20 minutes. I am still curious how high speed rail along with increase freight traffic is going to to work on a line that is primarily single track from Joliet to Alton.

Surprised no one posted about it, but IDOT 4611 is almost to Seattle on #14 now. I'm hoping to catch a test train when they start running.

So what are the details about 08 and 09 going to Pueblo? Some testing with the first two units that was unresolved?
The answer is in the November 8 meeting minutes of the NGEC executive committee. Excerpt from the status update section for the Charger Procurement:

Locomotive 4604 is stored at MARC after the successful completion for Vehicle Qualification Testing on the North-East Corridor.

 IDOT 4608 & 4609 have been shipped to TTCI at Pueblo, CO for 500-mile burn-in testing. The locomotives will next ship to Chicago, when IDOT and Amtrak are ready.

 IDOT will now send a locomotive to WSDOT for 238.111(b) testing on the Cascades route. WSDOT will conduct the 238.111(b) test. Other JPEs are working with Amtrak for 238.111(a) test plans.
The unit going to WSDOT is 4603.

peter
So did the unit number for the WSDOT test loco change from 03 to 11? Or are they sending both units up to WSDOT?

I found a video by YouTube user Little Red Diesel Productions of 4611 going north on the Coast Starlight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back