A Little Time in the Mountains via the Sunset/Eagle

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Dylan

50+ Year Amtrak Rider
AU Supporting Member
Since I had to miss the Gathering for Health Reasons, I needed a get a way train trip and was able to book an AGR2.0 trip from AUS-ELP-AUS for less Points than the old AGR1.0 Zone system!

Caught #21/#421 in Austin right on time on Mon 10/17. Room #9/rehabbed Superliner I with a very good attendant. Had an Excellent Flat Iron Steak in the CCC on the way to SAS. The rest of the Meal was basically OK ( standard Baked potato,New Salad and mushy bland Veggies ) but the desert choices really sucked!

Arrived into SAS early ( after the Loooong circle around downtown) and got off waiting for #1 to arrive from NOL.It arrived early ( usual) I got back aboard for the switching move which was quite involved since the consist had the Sleeper on the Front and the #421 Coach on the rear.

There was a total of 7 moves during the switching, took about 30 minutes.

I got back off and went to Denny's for the rest of the layover since the Station was very full. We were told we'd board at 215am, so returned at 2am, met the New SCA and reboarded. The bed was down so I went to sleep soon as we rolled out right on time at 245am.

The tracks were very rough on the way to Del Rio so I woke up several times due to the bouncing around! ( the tail wagging the dog) Woke up at 630am, took the long walk ( 5 Cars) to the Diner for Breakfast, which as usual was Very Good,all things considered Amtrak's best Regular meal IMO.

It became light right before crossing the Pecos High Bridge, then we rolled on through the Badlands of West Texas until the stop in Sanderson( No Longer a Flagstop), then on to the stop in my place of birth,Alpine.

The Station is under rehab so is fenced off, and the New Platform is still too short so two spots were done for the Sleepers and then our part of the Train.

As a result we only had about 10 minutes to get fresh air, then the All Aboard signal was given and we rolled out on time headed for El Paso.

Lunch reservations were taken since the Train was so Full, a first for me on this route. Had the Special, Red Beans and Rice which was good after some Tabasco was added. Had the Sugar Free Generic Pudding for dessert since the spirit called Greek Cheesecake in a Cup( only other choice)sucks!

Arrived into the Freight yards in El Paso right on time only to have a Red Signal cause us to stop and sit for over an Hour as Freight after Freight chugged by.

Finally arrived into the Station one hour down, lots of the passengers and Crew bought the Green Chili Burritos from the Burrito Lady at the Station door.

My friend picked me up and we headed up into the Mountains for Four Nice days of Cool Mountain Air, Pine Trees,Peace and Quiet and No Traffic!

After a wonderful stay in Ruidoso and Cloudcroft ( firsts for me!) we drove back to El Paso through the White Sands Missle Range and Park to the Station where #2 rolled in Right on Time.

They were having a Wedding Reception in the Station (City owned) later on so the Station was being decorated and the usual wooden benches were removed so waited outside by the platform, it was a nice balmy 80.degree day.

I boarded the #422 Sleeper (Room #5) on the rear( old tired Superliner II), the SCA told me they were still having Lunch in the Diner so I had the Lunch Special,the Turkey Sandwich and Ice Tea, not bad!

We left right on time heading out into the Big Nowhere. It got dark fairly early, I had taken a 630pm Dinner Rez( the Diner was Sold Out for All Times).

Had the New Fish, Atlantic Cod ( the were "Out" of Steaks), it was OK but still not good as the Salmon or Catfish they used to serve. Skipped desert, had some Coffee and Baileys instead!

The New Coach Meals available only to Coach Passengers at their seats was Fried Chicken with Mashed, a Roll, a Giant Cookie and a Bottle of Water for $12. Passengers told me it was tasty and better than Cafe chow!

Since I was tired, went to my room and watched a DVD Movie until we did the Stop in Sanderson where the Law Enforcement took two guys that were fighting in the Lounge off for a visit in the "Garden Spot" of West Texas.This took over an hour. Once we were moving I went to sleep and once again noticed the rough tracks as we bounced around on the way to Del Rio.

Arrived there about 230am, now 2 1/2 Hours down. Rolled on out towards SAS only to get put into the hole several times for West Bound Freights.

Since I couldn't sleep I took a Shower and read until we rolled into SAS about 1 and 1/2 Hours down at 630am.

The switching was again a convoluted process since a PV ( "Portland", ex-New York Central) had to be switched from the back of the #22 consist, sitting in the Station waiting on us, to behind our #422 Sleeper. I counted, we made 12 Separate moves during the Switching).

Finally we were hooked up,#2 Rolled out for NOL and we Highballed North for Austin at 745am, 45 Minutes Late.

Breakfast was served after we were underway at 8am to a full CCC.

After the quick stop in my old stomping grounds of San Marcos, we came to stop in a siding and waited 30 minutes due to "Freight congestion"caused by a broken down Rock Train.

Finally got underway and chugged into Austin across the 1881 Bridge over Town Lake ( now Lady Bird Lake) at 11:00am, 1 and 1/2 Hours Late.

Overall it was a Great Getaway, one that was badly needed.I'm ready to hop on the Eagle tomorrow headed anywhere!

Last edited by a moderator:
I missed you at the Gathering, Jim. I hope the health problems were not serious and have cleared up.

[...]

but the desert choices really sucked!

[...]
That's the truth!

I asked why ice cream was no longer available. The answer was that it does not re-freeze well, and it was easier to discontinue it rather than fix the freezers.

The rest of the Meal was basically OK ( standard Baked potato,New Salad and mushy bland Veggies ) but the desert choices really sucked!
I used to think I hated all veggies. Then one day I discovered that if they're purchased fresh and prepared properly veggies can be amazingly delicious. Unfortunately this has never once been the case on any of my Amtrak trips. Always the same tasteless textureless mush as the last time. I'd be embarrassed to serve such a thing to a customer or guest. Doesn't seem to bother Amtrak staff though. They just plop it down and walk away. Most restaurants make a point to ask me if the meal was to my liking of if there is anything they could do to make it better. Rarely ever hear that on Amtrak. More like sign this, move that, pay now.

Arrived into SAS early ( after the Loooong circle around downtown) and got off waiting for #1 to arrive from NOL...The tracks were very rough on the way to Del Rio so I woke up several times due to the bouncing around!
The circle route into SAS isn't actually that long. It's just traversed at an extremely slow speed for some reason. Much slower than UP freights travel over the exact same tracks. If it were up to me I'd look into speeding up the approach into San Antonio at least to freight traffic parity. I'd also consider slowing down over beat up shoulder bruising rural trackage being traversed in the dead of night when nearly everyone is trying to sleep.

Lunch reservations were taken since the Train was so Full, a first for me on this route. Had the Special, Red Beans and Rice which was good after some Tabasco was added. Had the Sugar Free Generic Pudding for dessert since the spirit called Greek Cheesecake in a Cup( only other choice)sucks!
Those desserts sound terrible. I've had the Red Beans and Rice before. Tasted like canned food to me. Didn't bother trying to overpower it with vinegar based hot sauce but maybe that's the best way to get it down. Or better yet just bring my own food and write off what's left of the dining car entirely.

Arrived into the Freight yards in El Paso right on time only to have a Red Signal cause us to stop and sit for over an Hour as Freight after Freight chugged by.
On time but held up anyway. Supposedly Amtrak trains have mandated priority and regulatory backing. Too bad it's just another useless paper authority that means little if anything in actual practice.

Last edited by a moderator:
The veggies on the plate are for color. Ive rarely been asked how the meal was but someone always walks over and says not hello or would you like another beverage but "that'll be six bucks for the beer". Or whatever the cost.

Desserts this summer on the CS and SWC were tasty for me. Chocolate something.

Nice to read your trip report, Jim. Sounds like you are "back in the saddle" again... Hope it is not too long before you set off on your next adventure.

Despite Brexit devaluation, I still want at least one more visit Stateside, hopefully next year...

All the best!

Ed.

Glad you got a nice getaway trip, Jim! :) Sounds like just what you needed, and I, like your other friends here, hope that you are feeling better! :)

(As an aside, I actually like mushy vegetables but seem to be the only Amtrak passenger who regularly gets barely cooked string beans for my veggie.)

Keep your strength up, Jim (eat your veggies, raw, cooked, or mushy! :p ), 'cause I'm hoping to see you at the Gathering out west next year! :)

Love your trip report and you Jim!

Hope you are feeling better but glad you got some train time and time away!

Big hugs and I hope we see you soon!

Back