Stations With Worst Locations

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How about STRANGEST station?????

Prince WV.....a pretty little station, one of the very few manned in WV, very COOL Art Deco design with huge 'Cheesie' cat in floor of station. The town of Prince is nothing more than the station!!! Nothing else. Beckley is not far away but no way to get there other than private vehicle. A strange set up.
Prince is no longer a staffed station.
Did not know that......when did that happen???? Is the station just locked all the time??? thx

Before I forget, my Home Station here in Austin( ex-MP/UP owned) , although located in the middle of Downtown, is almost impossible to find for those not familiar with it!

On the positive side there is plenty of Free, Lighted Parking and the agents are very friendly and helpful for the once a day in both directions Texas Eagle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Before I forget, my Home Station here in Austin( ex-MP/UP owned) , although located in the middle of Downtown, is almost impossible to find for those not familiar with it!

On the positive side there is plenty of Free, Lighted Parking and the agents are very friendly and helpful for the once a day in both directions Texas Eagle.

Free parking in the middle of Downtown? I am sold already.

Bob! I'm going to be visiting Austin for the first time later this year, and I'm worried about getting a cab. Do the cab companies at least know how to find the station? :p

How about STRANGEST station?????

Prince WV.....a pretty little station, one of the very few manned in WV, very COOL Art Deco design with huge 'Cheesie' cat in floor of station. The town of Prince is nothing more than the station!!! Nothing else. Beckley is not far away but no way to get there other than private vehicle. A strange set up.
Prince is no longer a staffed station.
Did not know that......when did that happen???? Is the station just locked all the time??? thx
About a year ago. There is no ticket agent or checked baggage. The station is opened at train time (6 times a week).

Bob! I'm going to be visiting Austin for the first time later this year, and I'm worried about getting a cab. Do the cab companies at least know how to find the station? :p
Even though Uber and Lyft left Austin after the special election requiring finger print checks for drivers ( they spent millions opposing this common sense program) there are now Six Ride Share Companies plus 4 Cab Companies in Austin.

A few cabs meet the daily arriving Eagles, but it's easy to call from the train or upon arrival and get a ride if they fill up.

Calling times are 930am and 630pm ( usually Late)so no problem!

I rented a Pontiac from a car dealer in Cut Bank Montana. They left the keys in the gas flap and reminded me to sign the rental agreement which was on the sun visor. Luckily the westbound EB was only a few minutes late when my wife and I were the only people getting off. When we got back on the next day, There were 2 other people getting on.

Stockton CA. Bad neighborhood. Nothing around. The Modesto and Madera stations aren't much better.
I don't think you can compare the Stockton stations (both at least vaguely near the middle of town) to Madera or Modesto, where the stations are literally outside the cities. In Modesto, it's particularly frustrating, because Greyhound is using what appears to be a perfectly nice train station downtown, while Amtrak uses an Amshack on the edge of town.

Stockton CA. Bad neighborhood. Nothing around. The Modesto and Madera stations aren't much better.
I don't think you can compare the Stockton stations (both at least vaguely near the middle of town) to Madera or Modesto, where the stations are literally outside the cities. In Modesto, it's particularly frustrating, because Greyhound is using what appears to be a perfectly nice train station downtown, while Amtrak uses an Amshack on the edge of town.
The station in Modesto was on the old Southern Pacific line that was there first, back in the time the city was build around the railroad. Santa Fe came later, ended up on the outside on almost all of the towns in the central valley. When Amtrak took over, the Santa Fe was more in line with the then limited service that was to run up and down the valley so their stations were the ones used, not the old SP ones in the central parts of the cities. I doubt that anyone could see what the service today would look like and that there would be the demand for service that there is.

The locations of the stations is an artifact of that history and is not going to change, but if the HSR line gets finished there will be differences from what is there today.

I've never been to the Modesto Stations so can't comment, but have used both of Stockton's Stations ( ex SP for Ace and ex-SF for Amtrak and Busses) many times, and agree with Kirk that the Stockton Stations are very inconvenient and in bad neighborhoods!

I can't speak to the convenience aspect of the Fulton, KY location. But whenever we go visit family, they always come pick us up from Carbondale because the Fulton AmShack is apparently in a very bad area.

I do know that the Fulton police are frequently patrolling when the train stops, so I guess they're trying to make it better.

Orlando Amtrak station is walkable to downtown, even has Lynx route 11 to/from MCO airport.

I took 11 from MCO to ORL once. ;)

Buffalo-Depew, NY

I would also add Minneapolis and San Francisco, but the nearby stations are located in other major cities so their locations is not necessarily bad. Rail connections are also available to Minneapolis/San Francisco except from the southbound CS (technically you could connect to Caltrain but it is very roundabout). Buffalo and Richmond have some trains that serve a more central station. Miami has a nearby Metrorail station and Detroit is building a streetcar so I guess that leaves Jacksonville as the worst. Any other stations far away from their intended city?
Minneapolis??? Not sure if you've been to St. Paul Union station, compared to the former Midway station, it is a vast improvement. Yes, it is 40-50 minutes from downtown Minneapolis by light rail but Midway only had Taxis and was in an industrial, pedestrian unfriendly area.

Buffalo-Depew, NY

I would also add Minneapolis and San Francisco, but the nearby stations are located in other major cities so their locations is not necessarily bad. Rail connections are also available to Minneapolis/San Francisco except from the southbound CS (technically you could connect to Caltrain but it is very roundabout). Buffalo and Richmond have some trains that serve a more central station. Miami has a nearby Metrorail station and Detroit is building a streetcar so I guess that leaves Jacksonville as the worst. Any other stations far away from their intended city?
Minneapolis??? Not sure if you've been to St. Paul Union station, compared to the former Midway station, it is a vast improvement. Yes, it is 40-50 minutes from downtown Minneapolis by light rail but Midway only had Taxis and was in an industrial, pedestrian unfriendly area.
I was just there in June. I agree it should not be on the list, I just mentioned it to explain why not. If you went by pure distance from city center it would definitely be on the list.

Buffalo-Depew, NY

A few years back my SO and I flew into MSP, took the light rail into downtown Minneapolis, and connected to a bus that took us to a hotel near the Midway station. The next morning we caught the EB to Chicago. The bus, IIRC, ran frequently and dropped us off at the corner in front of the hotel. It was about a 10 minute walk to the station in the morning, and the route included sidewalks and signaled intersections.

I agree the new St. Paul Union station is better in almost every respect. But Midway station's location was not as bad as you make it sound.

Orlando Amtrak station is walkable to downtown, even has Lynx route 11 to/from MCO airport.

I would agree that Orlando, Florida certainly does not deserve to be on the list. it is close and convenient to downtown and has both Lynx and Sunrail connections. The only downside, perhaps, is that it is further from the Orlando-area theme parks and tourist destinations (though one change of buses gets you to Walt Disney World).

Maybe I missed it, but what's wrong with the Charlotte, NC station?

Last edited by a moderator:

I would agree that Orlando, Florida certainly does not deserve to be on the list. it is close and convenient to downtown and has both Lynx and Sunrail connections. The only downside, perhaps, is that it is further from the Orlando-area theme parks and tourist destinations (though one change of buses gets you to Walt Disney World).

Maybe I missed it, but what's wrong with the Charlotte, NC station?
It is not walking distance from downtown and is not in a very safe neighborhood. It also lacks a connection to light rail or streetcar.

Bob Dylan..Williams Junction AZ.Is that the one where you take a van to a crossing to board?
Greatcats here. Yes, Williams Junction is supposed to be reachable only by the van from the Grand Canyon Railway Hotel, although I know how to drive in there. The arrangement works quite well.

Bob Dylan..Williams Junction AZ.Is that the one where you take a van to a crossing to board?
Greatcats here. Yes, Williams Junction is supposed to be reachable only by the van from the Grand Canyon Railway Hotel, although I know how to drive in there. The arrangement works quite well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back