Another newbie taking first cross country trip.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This November I am going on a weeklong cross country trip with my son who just graduated college. Our trip will take us from Boston to Seattle via New Orleans and LA. with a couple nights in each city. We have a roomette for each leg and we are looking forward to the adventure. I've been reading and investigating posts about long distance trips. I have lots of ideas and am looking for more. I do plan to post updates as we go along and I know there's lots to write about. I saw you hat Amtrak is giving some writers free trips. What would they do with a guitar and a couple of singers in the observation car?

Sounds like its going to be a great trip. My dad and I did Springfield To Seattle via the LSL and Empire builder. As far as enter(train)ment in the lounge car, you may get some applauds, but don't expect Amtrak to give you anything for the service. Also, big tip, take a small surge protector for the roomettes. They only have one outlet on the bi-level Superliners. The Viewliners had two outlets but both by the sink in the roomette, so maybe a short extension cord would help. Also, if you have room for it, bring your own pillow and blanket, it added a lot of bulk to my trip but was sure nice having a nice pillow to sleep on.

Wrap a yard of duct tape around a pencil. Bring a surge suppressor. Bring a short extension cord with multiple outlets. Enjoy the scenery. Share your experiences when you get back.

A small cooler is one of my must-haves. On a cross-country trip last month I found that if you bring a plastic super-size cup from a convenience store soda fountain, the dining car or cafe car attendant will fill it with ice for you to keep things cold. (YMMV, depending on the mood of the attendant.)

I take a soft-sided, collapsible cooler to keep ice in for my pre and post dinner adult beverages I have in my roomette.

I'll be on the California Zephyr, Iowa - California - Iowa, in about 2 weeks.

Procuring ice is a service your sleeper car attendant (Train Attendant - Sleeper Car, or TA-SC) should do for you.

But having a large plastic cup is a good idea.

I just checked and I have a 32 ounce plastic cup that should do nicely.

Do you plan on doing any photography?

Do you know about the 'railfan window'?

Last edited by a moderator:
I always travel with duct tape around a pen or pencil, ear plugs can be handy as well. I bring a small cooler but never a cup to ask for ice. You just ask for ice maybe a half a bucket and the sca brings you ice. Enjoy your trip!

If you like Mexican food, look for The Burrito Lady on the station platform at El Paso. Others tell me her offerings are excellent.

If you like Mexican food, look for The Burrito Lady on the station platform at El Paso. Others tell me her offerings are excellent.
Are there other stops that regularly have food vendors selling food, besides here and Albuquerque(for the Southwest Chief)? It'd be nice to know of more such stops along long distance train routes that regularly have a food vendor on the platform or within the station(never mind I imagine some of those inside a station would only be chains like Subway, and would prefer to know of mom and pop vendors), as an alternative to Amtrak dining car/cafe food.

This November I am going on a weeklong cross country trip with my son who just graduated college. Our trip will take us from Boston to Seattle via New Orleans and LA. with a couple nights in each I saw you hat Amtrak is giving some writers free trips. What would they do with a guitar and a couple of singers in the observation car?
Don't know about the free trip for writers. Don't have to do much planning for the train just bring enough stuff to keep convertible in the alloted space of a roomette,keeping in mind its so small one has to go out in the passageway just to change their mind. Sounds like you are stopping long enough between routes you will be able to pick up what you may have not brought. Anxious to hear how the observation car concert turns out.

Agree with many of the post on this topic.

1st, you have a great trip planned. I hope you enjoy it.

Things to take:

A 6 plug extension cord, small cooler, lots of snacks, duct tape, small thing of shampoo, lots of $1's and 5's for diner tips and room attendant tips. I usually bring along some water or soda's. Lock's for your luggage. I like to bring an old style GPS with a plug to track where we are (put it in pedestrian mode and suction cup it to the window).

What to expect. On the Boston - New Orleans leg you will be in a Viewliner, so you will have your luggage with you (unless you check it) as there is a small luggage storage cubby hole up high. On the New Orleans to Seattle legs, you will be on a superliner and the luggage will be stored in an open area downstairs, so it is a good idea to have a small backpack or duffel bag to keep essentials in your car.

For this long of a trip, the diner car food will start to get old. Hopefully you have different menu's on the different legs, you can only eat so many Amtrak Burgers (which I think are very good). We tend to skip breakfast after a while and just have breakfast snacks in the room. One of the best parts of taking Amtrak is meeting new folks in the diner, so enjoy that.

Check your data plan on your phone, you will tend to use lots of data. The Crescent and Coast Starlight both have WiFi now, but I have found the WiFi on Amtrak to be intermediate at best.

Any station with an extended stop, get off and get some fresh air, meet some of your neighbors and make friends with the car attendant.

If you have never been in a roomette, your initial thought will be "wow it is really small". However, you will quickly get used to it.

I have no idea what they would do with singers or guitars in an observation car. Probably depends on how the other customers react. I will say that a guitar is going to be tricky to store on any of the trains you are on. I am guessing you would maybe be more welcome in the parlor car on the Coast Starlight than the other trains.

Speaking on the Coast Starlight (LAX - SEA), they serve lunch and diner in the parlor car that tends to be a little better than the diner. I highly recommend that. Make sure to get reservations early as it does fill up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back