Amtrak Autumn Excursion 2016 - 10/29 & 30 - Confirmed

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh damn. This is very tempting. The schedule even works. The required 2 nights in NYC == expensive, however.
Ditto, even if I take an evening flight home. Still. Bookmarking anyway.

What is the latest possible to arrive at NYP before departure? My hotel is in Patchogue and the first train arrives from Patchogue at 7:39 AM, only 21 minutes before departure. I know NYP well so I'm sure I could get across the station in 5 minutes or less, but would that be too late? The Ronkonkoma and Babylon branches both have arrivals just before 7, but I don't know if I will have transportation to those stations. There is also an 8:07-8:25 NJT train to Newark, arriving 5 minutes before departure there. If NYP closes boarding too early, would that work?

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder how this compares to previous excursions in terms of actual rare mileage. Because the latter half of the trip (aside from the relatively short Zoo subway) will all be on tracks currently in Amtrak revenue service. Nothing terribly special about going from Harrisburg to NYP on the Keystone route.

2013: PHL-Perryville-Harrisburg-Columbia-Lancaster-PHL, where IIRC the entire run from Perryville-Lancaster via Harrisburg and Columbia was "rare."

2014: PHL-Harrisburg and back, almost entirely via rare mileage.

2015: Circle trip departing Albany to parts of New England...almost entirely on rare mileage, IIRC

It would seem as though the 2016 version will be among the lowest in terms of rare mileage percentage, but I would still definitely go if given the chance. I live too far away for it to be practical, though. Speaking of which, what about an Autumn Express in a different part of the country, Amtrak?

Topics merged.
Should this not have been merged into the already existing thread here about an attempt to have a special Amtrak Excursion trip thru Allentown, Allentown Service? That's where it started about NS forcing Amtrak's Excursion trip to be cancelled. Now that it is back on, IMHO, any discussion really belong there.
This is not that trip. This is the Autumn Excursion trip and has nothing to do with restoring service to Allentown.

What is the latest possible to arrive at NYP before departure? My hotel is in Patchogue and the first train arrives from Patchogue at 7:39 AM, only 21 minutes before departure. I know NYP well so I'm sure I could get across the station in 5 minutes or less, but would that be too late? The Ronkonkoma and Babylon branches both have arrivals just before 7, but I don't know if I will have transportation to those stations. There is also an 8:07-8:25 NJT train to Newark, arriving 5 minutes before departure there. If NYP closes boarding too early, would that work?
That is cutting it way too close...it's not like you could just wait a while for the next one, if you miss it...

I would find a way to connect to an earlier LIRR train.

I wonder how this compares to previous excursions in terms of actual rare mileage. Because the latter half of the trip (aside from the relatively short Zoo subway) will all be on tracks currently in Amtrak revenue service. Nothing terribly special about going from Harrisburg to NYP on the Keystone route.

2013: PHL-Perryville-Harrisburg-Columbia-Lancaster-PHL, where IIRC the entire run from Perryville-Lancaster via Harrisburg and Columbia was "rare."

2014: PHL-Harrisburg and back, almost entirely via rare mileage.

2015: Circle trip departing Albany to parts of New England...almost entirely on rare mileage, IIRC

It would seem as though the 2016 version will be among the lowest in terms of rare mileage percentage, but I would still definitely go if given the chance. I live too far away for it to be practical, though. Speaking of which, what about an Autumn Express in a different part of the country, Amtrak?
You make very good points, I agree.

Too bad they couldn't use some other freight only routes on the return, such as some of the Trenton Cutoff ( I guess parts are now gone), or the old Reading "Crusader" route via West Trenton and Bound Brook...

You make very good points, I agree.

Too bad they couldn't use some other freight only routes on the return, such as some of the Trenton Cutoff ( I guess parts are now gone), or the old Reading "Crusader" route via West Trenton and Bound Brook...
That would add substantially to the complexity of organizing the trip since it pulls in at least one and possibly two or even three additional railroads into the mix.

I could be tempted but where can I find a next to nothing hotel in New York. That's the part that has me wondering.
See my post about riding night trains to NYP and either hanging in NYP or touring Manhattan via subway or onfoot.

Jis'posts about NY area Hotels sounds ideal and also maybe someone would like to share a Hotel, we do that often at AU Gatherings??

I could be tempted but where can I find a next to nothing hotel in New York. That's the part that has me wondering.
I was just looking at the HI International hostel. It's in the $50's-$60's per night. But it doesn't look close enough to NYP for me since I'm not familiar with the public transportation. I'll just make it a day, a very long day, trip

I was just looking at the HI International hostel. It's in the $50's-$60's per night. But it doesn't look close enough to NYP for me since I'm not familiar with the public transportation. I'll just make it a day, a very long day, trip
You can get on the Downtown 1 train at 103rd St (one block away) and stay on it to 34th Street Penn Station. Then all you have to do is follow signs to NYP up from the subway.

I might take 98 to Washington and hang around there. Then take 66 the crazy train to sleep till New York and get off and sleep in the lounge. Followed by returning on crazy train 65 and sleeping thru to Richmond. Then boarding 89

I might take 98 to Washington and hang around there. Then take 66 the crazy train to sleep till New York and get off and sleep in the lounge. Followed by returning on crazy train 65 and sleeping thru to Richmond. Then boarding 89
If you have somewhere to crash in Washington near Union Station you could also take the crazy 150 at 3 something am and be joined by Betty in Wilmington to arrive in NYP at six something am. :) But if the whole idea is to be on train as much as possible at night then of course best bet is 65/66/67.

If you have somewhere to crash in Washington near Union Station you could also take the crazy 150 at 3 something am and be joined by Betty in Wilmington to arrive in NYP at six something am. :) But if the whole idea is to be on train as much as possible at night then of course best bet is 65/66/67.
**Looks around for Jis - was he looking over my shoulder a few minutes ago - when I booked 150? :ph34r: **

The HI Hostel is a few blocks from Metro Center and is nice.

Be very careful :cool:
Scared.jpg

The call is coming from inside the house!

-=-

$100/night isn't bad for a hotel, especially in NYC, but when I consider that plus airfare plus the cost of the excursion... Perhaps I should put this on the list for next October. That will give me time to plan for it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back