Viewliner II - Part 1 - Initial Production and Delivery

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to start another off topic ramble as this thread becomes. But how can Siemens put out a train set in less time then CAF can produce diners. Personally I prefer Siemens designs to the Viewliners. Especially the Viaggio Comfort cars that Siemens built for the ÖBB Railjet. The Viewliners for lack of better words are already out of date when they get delivered to us because the technology is obsolete already.

The Siemens cars for the Brightline sets are essentially Viaggio Comfort cars that are compliant with FRA standards. And they will be semi-permanently drawbar coupled into fixed consists. They will not apparently have standard AAR couplers.

I am sure the fact that they are off the shelf stuff with minor modifications as compared to a special short run order of essentially non-standard one off design may have a lot to do with the difference, in addition to of course what appear to be either CAF specific issues or location of CAF factory specific issues or both.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brightline also didn't have to comply with Buy America requirements since its privately funded. Not mention, buying an off the shelf design is much simpler than something custom built. Just like buying an automobile, you can walk in and out of a dealer in a few hours with a brand new car. But if you want your fingerprints on every element, it's going to take awhile for you to get delivery.

On the Crescent the other day, I asked a car attendant if he was looking forward to getting the new cars. He said he only had 35 months left until retirement and he didn't expect to see them. I wonder if he knows something the rest of us don't of if he is just prescient.

On the Crescent the other day, I asked a car attendant if he was looking forward to getting the new cars. He said he only had 35 months left until retirement and he didn't expect to see them. I wonder if he knows something ...
We could all make the same little joke.

I'm back to thinking that not paying for new Viewliners helps with a stressed budget. So nothing this fiscal year. And meanwhile good months in July and August will help with the budget/cash pinch.

The new fiscal year starts on October 1. Amtrak's skilled accountants will have had plenty of time to work on the new budget.

Pushing $100 or even $150 million of capital investment into the next fiscal year seems plausible to me, even good policy. But I don't imagine such a postponement won't end soon.

Now, maybe somebody has a radical idea, like refitting all the diner kitchens with fewer grills and more microwaves, or smaller kitchens and more seats, whatever. That kind of drastic decision would best be pushed from the Boardman Administration to the Moorman Administration, since Wick Moorman will have to carry it out and live with it.

So at either range of the options -- "Not much, it's just accounting jiggery" all the way to "Blow it up, we have to start over" -- we should know by the middle of October. Srsly.

I'm still waiting for Amtrak to fix the air conditioning in the three Super Steel Turboliners, so I've learned to be patient. :)

I'm still waiting for Amtrak to fix the air conditioning in the three Super Steel Turboliners, so I've learned to be patient. :)
They fixed it the air conditioning....then shopped the entire train. However, if you powered it up in the grass, the A/C would be phenomenal!

Now us rail fans have definite views on how the cars are designed. But it is the reaction of the general public to the inside that is the only thing that counts. Viewliners seem to be very acceptable. How bright line will fare ? ? Any pictures of a completed one ?

Wide body aircraft have modified airline passenger perceptions. That spills over to the Amfleets type perceptions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Airplane manufacturers have been very good at studying the lessons in ergonomics offered by the wide bodies and have drastically improved the interiors of single aisle aircraft also. Other than seating arrangements (on almost all planes) the improvements have been substantial.

Cho Cho -- yes . Would like to know how general public likes the interiors of Horizons vs Amfleets ? The spaciousness of V-2s and Brightliners might cause a greater demand for Amfleets to be replaced and displaced to surge fleet status ?

No V2 ordered will replace an Amfleet or Horizon car carrying passengers. That being said, there are lots of good reasons to move ahead with fleet replacement, and any new design is certain to incorporate lots of interior design lessons learned over the lat 30 + years.

I tend to think, as a logical point, either the Viewliner 2s that have not already been delivered will enter service in the next 2 years, or they will not enter service for Amtrak at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back