can anyone show me how showering over the toilet is done?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ToniCounter

Service Attendant
can anyone show me how showering over the toilet is done? (photo, YouTube video, or whatever)

on my return trip, the only sleeping room is a Bedroom, which as I understand, has combination shower/toilet.

is it as bad as that sounds? :(

Thanks!

To me it is as bad as it sounds. I have occupied many bedrooms but never attempted to use the shower as it literally changes the whole toilet room into a shower stall meaning everything gets wet including the toilet seat, etc. If you are not careful, and keep the door to room closed, water could conceivably get into your room and at minimum wet the floors. Even if you have a bedroom, use the downstairs shower. It has a dressing room and larger stand up shower.

Last edited by a moderator:
I never use the so called shower in the room. I don't use the toilet either, it's so tight you can't efficiently get the job done. The downstairs facilities are always clean and available and you can leave your drug cloths in the outer part.

I've used the shower in the bedrooms. It was fine. I was sure to take out the toilet paper and anything that I did not want to get wet before I used it. I also of course shut the toilet seat.

Then closed the curtains to the bedrooms, stripped down completely, and went into the bathroom ready to shower.

I left my towel right outside the door so it was easy to grab it when I was done. It was fine.

I've used the shower in the bedrooms. It was fine. I was sure to take out the toilet paper and anything that I did not want to get wet before I used it. I also of course shut the toilet seat.

Then closed the curtains to the bedrooms, stripped down completely, and went into the bathroom ready to shower.

I left my towel right outside the door so it was easy to grab it when I was done. It was fine.

Likewise. Never had an issue with the bedroom shower. Once I finish toweling off, I use the towel to wipe down the toilet/shower room. It then dries quickly. Being able to take a shower in the privacy of your own room is, for me, a huge plus.

Your tip about removing the toilet paper roll is a good one. There is a cover that is supposed to keep the roll from getting wet during showering. It is not 100% reliable. Taking the roll out saves having to peal off a whole lot of soaked and useless paper.

Likewise. Never had an issue with the bedroom shower. Once I finish toweling off, I use the towel to wipe down the toilet/shower room. It then dries quickly. Being able to take a shower in the privacy of your own room is, for me, a huge plus.

Your tip about removing the toilet paper roll is a good one. There is a cover that is supposed to keep the roll from getting wet during showering. It is not 100% reliable. Taking the roll out saves having to peal off a whole lot of soaked and useless paper.

Do the attendants sanitize the toilet/shower before the

next passengers get on the train?

Is it a little awkward if occupying the bedroom with

someone else that you're not comfortable being naked

with? (not sure how else to put this) I assume one

can only put on dry clothes once outside of the shower?

Thanks!

Is it a little awkward if occupying the bedroom with

someone else that you're not comfortable being naked

with? (not sure how else to put this) I assume one

can only put on dry clothes once outside of the shower?

Thanks!
If that's the case, you/the other person would probably find the lower level shower more suitable. The alternative would be to send them away to the lounge car for a period of time.

The shower/toilet room is too small for getting dressed, so yes, you'd have to be comfortable changing in front of your roommate. I liked having more room in the cool, dry bedroom, since getting dressed in a warm, humid, cramped shower room is a pain. That was a relief.

I didn't have any issues with the shower/toilet combo. I took the toilet paper out of the container, like Amamba, and then closed the toilet lid. I left the door to the bathroom open to help it dry out. Since I closed the toilet lid, the seat didn't get wet.

Plus, the shower isn't directly over the toilet. You have room to move around, and since it's a hand-held shower head, you can direct the spray.

We used one of the towels as a bath mat so we wouldn't get the bedroom carpet wet.

Mrs. EmCee and I have traveled together in Superliner bedrooms on several occasions, and have not had any issues in using the room's shower. There is enough room inside for one person to turn around, soap, rinse, etc. I have never seen sanitizing occur, I assume it does before the beginning of any trip, and the thought has never come up with us as to the shower being unsanitary. Actually, it is very convenient and refreshing to use!

Agree with SarahZ above in using a towel as a bath mat.

I notice that no one has submitted a video. I have to believe that there is just no room to take one with the shower going and the door closed!

I am always afraid I would slip and fall in the toilet hole and be left there on the tracks and RR Ties. Imagine walking to your next station. I just never shower over the toilet as it is not safe.

Sure it's small but it works, and you don't have to worry about going downstairs and having to wait for somebody else to finish up and/or showering in somebody else's leavings. Showering with the toilet right there is no worse than showering in a small to middling RV. Of course you lower the seat and shut the door. We use the used towels to dry off the seat and floor but it's amazing how quickly everything else dries off (be sure to drain the water from the flex hose going to the shower head).

I haven't had problems but I do like the idea of taking the TP out before showering the next time. (Just remember to put it back in or Mrs SP&S will not be pleased)

Video? This is a G rated site and anyway you don't want to see me naked. :eek:

The Family Bedroom does not have a toilet/shower, in case the OP reserved the Family Bedroom asked about regarding booking for just 1 person in another thread.

If you ever manage to get the H-Room on a Viewliner, it is a whole different story; the john is bigger than a Roomette and there is more than enough room to comfortably shower without even getting near the stool. Of course, as others have mentioned, be sure to take out the toilet paper and anything else you don't want to get wet.

I suspect your own shower is more sanitary than the one downstairs used by many on a cross country trip.

No problems using it - actually it's pretty cleverly designed for the small space. Since the toilet seat will get damp, good idea to use it before showering. Towels are above the water unless you go start spraying it around.

yes, you have to get dressed outside of the shower. I always strip down naked and enter and exit the shower room/bathroom while down to my birthday suit!

If you have a roommate that you are not comfortable being naked in front of, I would suggest using the downstairs shower or asking the roommate to visit the lounge car while you are showering.

The Family Bedroom does not have a toilet/shower, in case the OP reserved the Family Bedroom asked about regarding booking for just 1 person in another thread.
that was for the outbound trip... this bedroom question is for the return. :)

yes, you have to get dressed outside of the shower. I always strip down naked and enter and exit the shower room/bathroom while down to my birthday suit!

If you have a roommate that you are not comfortable being naked in front of, I would suggest using the downstairs shower or asking the roommate to visit the lounge car while you are showering.
Would you suggest closing the window curtains in case the train stops at a station.

I have traveled in Superliner and Viewliner Bedrooms many time and always use the Toiletroom shower. It works just fine. I am usually with my wife, but have also traveled with male friends. We had no problems showering with the other person there. One of the advantages of the Bedroom is having the inroom shower. It beats the private railroad days when only a very few Sleeping Accommodations had showers and you had to do a sponge bath.

Would you suggest closing the window curtains in case the train stops at a station.
Nope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back