am I the only one bothered by pajamas in dining car?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As for dress code; we can discuss rights and then arrive at the conclusion that anything goes but if you look at old videos in the golden days of rail travel , men, women and children were all well dressed. Men in suits and women in dresses. People looked like ladies and gentlemen not like animals. We often go to dinner at restaurants that maintain a dress code and it is comforting and refreshing to be well dressed and to sit among people who are well dressed. The way you dress is a measure of who you are and illustrates your pride and self esteem or lack of it.. Dress elegant and you are respected, dress like a scrub and.................
Dress elegant I'm going to think you're a CEO getting rich off your low paying worker bees. You'd get no respect from me.It's not how you dress, look, etc. It's how you treat others that I respect.

The way you dress is a measure of who you are and illustrates your pride and self esteem or lack of it.. Dress elegant and you are respected, dress like a scrub and.................
I agree... but not sure I will apply that to people at nudist resorts...

As for dress code; we can discuss rights and then arrive at the conclusion that anything goes but if you look at old videos in the golden days of rail travel , men, women and children were all well dressed. Men in suits and women in dresses. People looked like ladies and gentlemen not like animals. We often go to dinner at restaurants that maintain a dress code and it is comforting and refreshing to be well dressed and to sit among people who are well dressed. The way you dress is a measure of who you are and illustrates your pride and self esteem or lack of it.. Dress elegant and you are respected, dress like a scrub and.................
Dress elegant I'm going to think you're a CEO getting rich off your low paying worker bees. You'd get no respect from me.It's not how you dress, look, etc. It's how you treat others that I respect.
Steve Jobs, Tim Cook, and other Apple executives?

The culture has changed and evolved. Some can choose to live in the past. But no reason to force others to do so. A comfortable pair of jeans or shorts and a comfortable shirt or T shirt is just fine as far as I am concerned. If someone chooses to wear something different I would possibly glance strangely at them and then again I might not. In a society with increased diversity one has to allow greater variance in what is acceptable attire.

Last edited by a moderator:
The culture has changed and evolved. Some can choose to live in the past. But no reason to force others to do so. A comfortable pair of jeans or shorts and a comfortable shirt or T shirt is just fine as far as I am concerned. If someone chooses to wear something different I would possibly glance strangely at them and then again I might not. In a society with increased diversity one has to allow greater variance what is acceptable attire.
it does make me wonder... it is now legal for women to walk around topless

(i.e. showing their breasts) in New York City.

does that apply to women who choose to board Amtrak trains at Penn Station?

(only asking about the legal aspect of it and only pertaining to boarding Amtrak trains)

The culture has changed and evolved. Some can choose to live in the past. But no reason to force others to do so. A comfortable pair of jeans or shorts and a comfortable shirt or T shirt is just fine as far as I am concerned. If someone chooses to wear something different I would possibly glance strangely at them and then again I might not. In a society with increased diversity one has to allow greater variance what is acceptable attire.
it does make me wonder... it is now legal for women to walk around topless

(i.e. showing their breasts) in New York City.

does that apply to women who choose to board Amtrak trains at Penn Station?

(only asking about the legal aspect of it and only pertaining to boarding Amtrak trains)
No. Amtrak follows state/federal laws.

I thought the ruling that allowed women to go topless in New York was issued by a New York state court?

If Amtrak follows state law, then it must follow this law as well, right? (Since Penn Station is located in the State of New York?)

Steve Jobs, Tim Cook, and other Apple executives?
That's a curious group of people to point out.

Can't say that I've ever seen any of them in the dining car.

I thought the ruling that allowed women to go topless in New York was issued by a New York state court?

If Amtrak follows state law, then it must follow this law as well, right? (Since Penn Station is located in the State of New York?)
I stand corrected, thanks to a Google search.

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think Amtrak would allow this.

I stand corrected, thanks to a Google search.

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think Amtrak would allow this.

Call me old-fashioned, but I don't think anybody(man AND woman) should not be allowed on Amtrak trains without at least a T-shirt.

That's the same reason I don't like Disney characters. They are the opposite.. never wearing any pants. (think Donald Duck, who walks around nude from the waist down, but puts on a bath towel to cover it up when he takes a shower)

You can't possibly be serious.

Well executed troll, though.
Well, trolls don't wear pants either... :)

ls.jpg

You can't possibly be serious.

Well executed troll, though.
the second part I was just being silly... (sorry :) )

but I was serious when i asked whether or not Amtrak follows applicable state law or court ruling at their stations.

This thread is hilarious in that I am currently also doing research for a cruise on a cruise forum and people are discussing this exact same topic.
I am also on [that cruise forum site] and have participated in that discussion. My to my wife's dismay, I actually brought formalwear on my last cruise despite the traditional formal night now being elegant night and the dress codes now being a dress suggestion.

it does make me wonder... it is now legal for women to walk around topless (i.e. showing their breasts) in New York City. does that apply to women who choose to board Amtrak trains at Penn Station? (only asking about the legal aspect of it and only pertaining to boarding Amtrak trains)
Yes, but they have to cover up half way through the tunnel when the river becomes part of New Jersey.

Well, trolls don't wear pants either...
The civilized ones do.

Call me old-fashioned, but I don't think anybody(man AND woman) should not be allowed on Amtrak trains without at least a T-shirt.
I don't think I am old fashion, but agree that both men and woman should be wearing a top in most public places (except for the obvious exceptions like the beach, but you would expect such there). I can't imagine sharing a table in the dining car with a top-less guy, and having to deal with his chest hair shedding into my soup.

I don't think I am old fashion, but agree that both men and woman should be wearing a top in most public places (except for the obvious exceptions like the beach, but you would expect such there). I can't imagine sharing a table in the dining car with a top-less guy, and having to deal with his chest hair shedding into my soup.
I would also prefer they wear a bottom of some sort. I wouldn't care to sit in an Amtrak Diner with peoples' junk hanging out, even though discretely hidden under the table while seated. :) Don't get me wrong. I have no problem with that situation in a clothing optional resort or cruise or some such. But Amtrak Diner is probably not the right place for that dress code.

I would also prefer they wear a bottom of some sort. I wouldn't care to sit in an Amtrak Diner with peoples' junk hanging out, even though discretely hidden under the table while seated. :) Don't get me wrong. I have no problem with that situation in a clothing optional resort or cruise or some such. But Amtrak Diner is probably not the right place for that dress code.
I believe the NY law allows men/women to be topless. Bottoms are still required.

I believe the NY law allows men/women to be topless. Bottoms are still required.
I get why those women fought for their right to be topless, just like men.

However, my first thought when I read about that a few years ago was:

"Grandma? is that you!!!???" (me taking my glasses off and turning my head) :(

I never thought this thread would go the distance. I'm not sure why I thought that...but I did.

I believe the ruling was for women to go topless in public. Penn Station is not a public facility. It is a private facility and as such, it has a code of conduct which is posted at most if not all entrances from the streets. I don't really know if it is posted at the subways. .

I hear the chest hair soup is quite good on some routes!
Yes....it is the the Chef's Special of the day on long distance trains that no longer have a full service dining car.

Remember the "shirts and shoes required" signs at the entrances to restaurants? The same would certainly apply in an Amtrak dining car if they posted it.

The NY ruling was a civil rights ruling. Women can go topless anywhere men can go topless. It's still legal for owners of private property to require that everyone on their property wear shirts, you just can't discriminate about it. The state legislature *could* have passed a law requiring men and women to wear shirts in public at all times, but chose not to do so.

I've been off the site for a couple days and just flipped to the most recent page.

TALK ABOUT DRIFTING OFF TOPIC!

I'm done now. Please go back to what you were doing.

Tom

well.. yes and now.... it's still about Amtrak... and it's not a far stretch from pajamas to the legality of topless at Amtrak Penn Station in NY?

Since this has become so off topic, I will mention if men can wear their Joe Boxers to breakfast? Do you think anyone would notice? Would heads be glued to their RR French Toast? Ladies horrified? Speechless Amtrak staffers? Are they Boxers or PJs? Boxers and Board Shorts are very trendy these days. The only dress code on Amtrak is real shoes.

I've been off the site for a couple days and just flipped to the most recent page.

TALK ABOUT DRIFTING OFF TOPIC!

I'm done now. Please go back to what you were doing.

Tom

well.. yes and now.... it's still about Amtrak... and it's not a far stretch from pajamas to the legality of topless at Amtrak Penn Station in NY?
Actually, you're absolutely right. After all, it's all in fun.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back