Wick Moorman CEO of Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, jis!

Now I know what it means, I think he will most certainly be able to do something good about the LD BU!

I will give him at least a couple of months before I ask for the diner back on the Silver Star! :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, jis!

Now I know what it means, I think he will most certainly be able to do something good about the LD BU!

I will give him at least a couple of months before I ask for the diner back on the Silver Star! :p
Yeah, we can ask all we want. It is not clear that even our creator mother nature can extract a few working Diners out of CAF anytime soon. :(

Ok.. Here are some facts that I can present to you about Wick..

1. His retirement was forced.. NS has a corporate policy that MANDATES retirement from senior management at a certain age. He hit that age. It's a complete farce IMO.

2. He actually knows how to railroad! If you ever work for the railroad, the one thing that is constantly bitched and moaned about is that many Trainmasters these days have never touched foot on a piece of equipment, let alone know how a train moves. This is a major up and coming problem.. I had a train master tell me once how to do my job.. He had NO previous railroad experience.. I told him to Shut up you have not a (insert expletive here) clue what you're talking about. And when I proved that he was a dumb moron who doesn't know the rule book he shut up and went to a trailing unit for the rest of the trip. He never gave me or anyone crap again.

Wick started as a Conductor and moved his way up through management.. I can almost promise you that if you gave him a cut sheet of 100 cars he could still shift the hell out of them with the best of us! THIS IS WHAT RAILROADS NEED!!!!!

3. He's a pretty big buff.. Why do you think NS has 20 heritage units and has repainted several more to their original paint. Wick Moorman..

4. It's fair to say he could be a Graham Claytor part deux.

5. NS employees were annoyed when he was forced out. Simply cause he knows the business better then anyone.

6. His replacement at NS is a lawyer who has never done anything T&E related. You can imagine how that's been going over with the T&E employees at NS.

When I saw this, I almost had a moment of running around in happiness.

I will say that personally I think that this is going to be a short term thing, to get Amtrak turned around from where Boardman had the company going. it's a win for Amtrak though. And I'm sure that Charlie could tell you that personally I wanted him as the next guy in charge.

The Amtrak CEO will always have limited resources unless the funding structure for Amtrak is significantly changed, but still I'm hopeful that some good decisions can come from Mr. Moorman in the fairly short term. This is good news for Amtrak.

(Moderators: You may wish to edit the title of this post to correct the spelling of Moorman)

Great news. I can start caring again, and, all the rail forums will hopefully turn around the daily doldrums that stayed overwhelmingly negative for the past several years.

Now, from what I've picked up and reasoned, there will be changes, in order for Amtrak to survive, some of which we may not like but necessary none the less. We can all agree that the mess we're in requires SOMETHING(s) be done differently. I'm hoping for actions that will address the lack of badly need rolling stock acquisition to counter the slow but steady deterioration, and attrition, of railcars and locomotives. Plus lots of common sense stuff too numerous to list but mentioned aplenty in the past.

So, what date does Charles 'Wick' Moorman start? September 1?

why would someone retire from this : While CEO of Norfolk Southern in 2008, Charles Moorman earned a total compensation of just over $9 million, which included a base salary of $950,000, a cash bonus of $1,759,400, stocks granted of $6,768,618, and options granted of $2,415,000.

and then a year later take job like this :

in May 2013, Boardman signed to a two-year "renewable" contract. Board Chairman Anthony Coscia said, "We are extremely pleased with the progress Amtrak has made under the leadership of Joe Boardman". Boardman's salary during 2013 was $350,000.

why would someone retire from this : While CEO of Norfolk Southern in 2008, Charles Moorman earned a total compensation of just over $9 million, which included a base salary of $950,000, a cash bonus of $1,759,400, stocks granted of $6,768,618, and options granted of $2,415,000.

in May 2013, Boardman signed to a two-year "renewable" contract. Board Chairman Anthony Coscia said, "We are extremely pleased with the progress Amtrak has made under the leadership of Joe Boardman". Boardman's salary during 2013 was $350,000.
Because, "at some point, you've made enough money" ?

Here's what's been quoted on NS's instagram of their current CEO in regards to Wick's appointment.

1471665939075.jpg

Ok.. Here are some facts that I can present to you about Wick..

1. His retirement was forced.. NS has a corporate policy that MANDATES retirement from senior management at a certain age. He hit that age. It's a complete farce IMO.

2. He actually knows how to railroad! If you ever work for the railroad, the one thing that is constantly bitched and moaned about is that many Trainmasters these days have never touched foot on a piece of equipment, let alone know how a train moves. This is a major up and coming problem.. I had a train master tell me once how to do my job.. He had NO previous railroad experience.. I told him to Shut up you have not a (insert expletive here) clue what you're talking about. And when I proved that he was a dumb moron who doesn't know the rule book he shut up and went to a trailing unit for the rest of the trip. He never gave me or anyone crap again.

Wick started as a Conductor and moved his way up through management.. I can almost promise you that if you gave him a cut sheet of 100 cars he could still shift the hell out of them with the best of us! THIS IS WHAT RAILROADS NEED!!!!!

3. He's a pretty big buff.. Why do you think NS has 20 heritage units and has repainted several more to their original paint. Wick Moorman..

4. It's fair to say he could be a Graham Claytor part deux.

5. NS employees were annoyed when he was forced out. Simply cause he knows the business better then anyone.

6. His replacement at NS is a lawyer who has never done anything T&E related. You can imagine how that's been going over with the T&E employees at NS.

When I saw this, I almost had a moment of running around in happiness.

I will say that personally I think that this is going to be a short term thing, to get Amtrak turned around from where Boardman had the company going. it's a win for Amtrak though. And I'm sure that Charlie could tell you that personally I wanted him as the next guy in charge.

Now if only he can wrangle Congress like Claytor could.
Keep in mind that the revered W. Graham Claytor Jr., was a lawyer to begin with on the Southern...not an up-from-the-ranks operating employee....and he was also a political appointee...served as Secretary of the Navy (he did have a distinguished Naval career), and Assistant Secretary of Defense....

Already been addressed. Read the topic before you go wasting your time. So for the third time... Second from me... NS has a mandatory senior management retirement age. He hit it and was forced out.

Another bonus for trains that use NS he still has powerful influence over that company. I've been on NS steam trips working after he retired from them and you better believe every NS employee went up and spoke with him. And treated him with upmost respect. Then he ran the engine
Lets not get ahead of ourselves too quickly. The company he has gained powerful influence over is Amtrak. The company he has a strong identity with and affinity toward is Norfolk Southern. Until his loyalties and influence are tested I wouldn't read too much into any this.

I just read in the Trains article about 20th Century Limited that he personally owns one of the few remaining round end observations for that train. That can only be good as regards his attitude toward passenger rail.

And, I'm sure other will chime in here, but IMO NS has a better attitude toward Amtrak than just about any other RR.

Back