if train is delayed 8 hours, are meals still free?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The longest delay I have encountered was a little over 6 hours on #14 two years ago. Our train struck and killed a trespasser just out of San Jose and we had to wait for all the various and sundry investigations to be made and inspections made before we could go on our way.

My longest delay of over 8 hours was on Via Rail's Canadian.

The only delay I have had on Amtrak was CZ #5 about 4 hours late into Emeryville in August 2014 and coach and sleeper passengers were serve the beef stew and rice and I LIKED IT! When you are tired of the regular fare, it was different enough to be very good. I now prepare the same beef stew at home with rice because I liked it that much.

I was on a Meteor delayed about 4 hours and Sleeper folks got an extra Supper built around what was still left, but no Stew was deployed for Coach pax. Last year on a 12 hour delayed Eagle, we got fed an extra menu-based Supper coming into Texas, and once that was cleared, a Stew Emergency was declared for Coach and for that matter, any Sleeper pax still wanting to eat. They were slinging out pretty good size portions at that.

I almost always keep a can or 2 of Dinty Moore Beef Stew and/or Chicken and Dumps on hand for when I get into an "Amtrak Mood" for eating :)

I was once on a Northeast Regional that was 7 hours late into NYP. As a proportion of total trip length, that's the equivalent of the Silver Meteor being 56 hours late from Miami. A catenary got pulled down somewhere in north Jersey. They held us at 30th St. for a while, then we advance to Trenton, and, after a wait, we creept up the line, making extended stops at various NJT stations while we waited our turn to pass through the single track that was operating. There was on off-duty conductor hitching a ride, not dressed for work, but we were delayed so long, I guess his rest period was up, and the working crew needed theirs, so he started running around the train in shorts and a t-shirt with his radio dangling from his hip. After about midnight (the train was scheduled to arrive at about 8 PM), they started giving away stuff from the cafe car. (Alas, the booze was not included!) We got into NYP at about 3 AM. Naturally, it being New York, we had no trouble finding a cab to take us to our hotel.

Last edited by a moderator:
My worst was on the California Zephyr from Salt Lake City to Galesburg. It got into Salt Lake at about 6 AM. We stopped for a track crew near Dotsero. When the track crew finally finished, they found a broken rail on the way out and stopped to fix it. Then they found another. When I got up the next morning, we were stopped waiting for a relief crew someplace up in the Rockies. The next evening, we got stopped behind a bunch of freights with dead crews. When we finally got to Galesburg, we were 23 hours late. The extra supper was the beef stew. The next morning, the diner crew came around the sleepers with fruit cocktail for breakfast. The sleeping car attendant told me they were going to go shopping for food in Galesburg. It was actually a great trip because of the good attitude of the crew.

My longest delay of over 8 hours was on Via Rail's Canadian.
Me too. The "regular" Canadian riders were pleased because we got to see Frasier Canyon in daylight.

I am no fan of the canned stew. Although I have been on many late Amtrak trains, I have been only offered the canned stew once (and declined). Once on the Auto Train, many years ago (after we hit a car trying to beat the train, we were offered lunch of a stew of sorts made from leftovers from the previous night's dinner. It was pretty good.

I once sat for 12 hours on a train about 3 miles outside Irkukst in Siberia only to then set off and turn up at the platform bang on time, now that is what they call padding! Russian trains rarely if ever run late and this is why ;)

I was on a 17 hr late EB #7 going into Essex in 2014. No issues with food for sleeper passengers. Worked out good for me as I received a voucher for the full cost of my trip and got to go again last year!
wait a second... why did they hand out free vouchers? just for delays?
After I got back home, I called Amtrak after the conductor suggested it. I wasn't too happy at the time since I had booked two nights in the 441 at Izaak Walton Inn and would only be staying for one night, but still paying for two. After explaining the length of the delay and checking to verify my dates of travel, I was given a voucher for the full cost of my fare, including my roomette.
That sucks!! That place is amazing! I haven't been there in almost 10 years. But yes that is a awesome place to go to. I think I wouldn't stay there for more then 3 days. We did 2 days including the day of arrival from Seattle. But I'm seriously glad that they went as far as to give you your entire fare in a voucher. To make up for the issue. Depending on time of year the Izaak can be tricky to book. Just curious what did they do for you since Amtrak helped you out in a big way.

I was once on a Northeast Regional that was 7 hours late into NYP. As a proportion of total trip length, that's the equivalent of the Silver Meteor being 56 hours late from Miami. A catenary got pulled down somewhere in north Jersey. They held us at 30th St. for a while, then we advance to Trenton, and, after a wait, we creept up the line, making extended stops at various NJT stations while we waited our turn to pass through the single track that was operating. There was on off-duty conductor hitching a ride, not dressed for work, but we were delayed so long, I guess his rest period was up, and the working crew needed theirs, so he started running around the train in shorts and a t-shirt with his radio dangling from his hip. After about midnight (the train was scheduled to arrive at about 8 PM), they started giving away stuff from the cafe car. (Alas, the booze was not included!) We got into NYP at about 3 AM. Naturally, it being New York, we had no trouble finding a cab to take us to our hotel.
That is the benefit of a legal deadhead. BUT! Somethings like this have to go through the dispatcher and a trainmaster. I was on 66 once and the T&E crew was only good for another 45 minutes or so. The head end called CETC 6 asking if they had relief for them at Trenton. His response was when do you hit 12? I'm guessing that someone was informed of this and didn't pass on the message to have a relief crew ready in Philly. 6 asked if they could find any deadheading crews to get it to NYP. They only had LSA's available. So that wasn't going to work. 6 desk had a work train crew making its way to Adams and passed through PHL while waiting for 66. That work train crew took over with the Conductors being relieved at TRE and the Head End crew at HAM interlocking.

I once sat for 12 hours on a train about 3 miles outside Irkukst in Siberia only to then set off and turn up at the platform bang on time, now that is what they call padding! Russian trains rarely if ever run late and this is why ;)
I traveled extensively by train in Switzerland many years ago.

Contrary to popular belief, Swiss trains do run late sometimes

and it's not possible to adjust one's watch by the departure or

arrival of the trains. (unless one doesn't mind the watch's

second hand being 10 to 30 seconds late or early)

The foreign OTP posts make me think back to the old days in Mexico when the Schedules were Wish Lists.

When someone would ask "When will the train get there/here?" the answer always was "When it gets there/here!"

I once rode on a Second Class Train from Nogales to Guadalajara that took 60 Hours,(Carded for 36) but the Food Vendors kept us well fed at the hundreds of stops and the price sure was right, 25 Pesos, $2 US!!!

I was on an 8 hour late Empire Builder and the sleeper passengers had the choice of 3 of the regular dinners. I had the steak. I do not remember the other 2 choices. After the sleeper passengers were finished then they gave the beef stew to coach passengers.
what's the longest delay that anyone has experienced on Amtrak? I personally "almost" experienced the 7-hour delay and there seem to be a lot of posts about 8, 10, or even 12-hour delays. Are there longer delays than those?
my grandmas train was 23.5 hours late, because of a derailment

I was on a 17 hr late EB #7 going into Essex in 2014. No issues with food for sleeper passengers. Worked out good for me as I received a voucher for the full cost of my trip and got to go again last year!
wait a second... why did they hand out free vouchers? just for delays?
After I got back home, I called Amtrak after the conductor suggested it. I wasn't too happy at the time since I had booked two nights in the 441 at Izaak Walton Inn and would only be staying for one night, but still paying for two. After explaining the length of the delay and checking to verify my dates of travel, I was given a voucher for the full cost of my fare, including my roomette.
That sucks!! That place is amazing! I haven't been there in almost 10 years. But yes that is a awesome place to go to. I think I wouldn't stay there for more then 3 days. We did 2 days including the day of arrival from Seattle. But I'm seriously glad that they went as far as to give you your entire fare in a voucher. To make up for the issue. Depending on time of year the Izaak can be tricky to book. Just curious what did they do for you since Amtrak helped you out in a big way.

That is the benefit of a legal deadhead. BUT! Somethings like this have to go through the dispatcher and a trainmaster. I was on 66 once and the T&E crew was only good for another 45 minutes or so. The head end called CETC 6 asking if they had relief for them at Trenton. His response was when do you hit 12? I'm guessing that someone was informed of this and didn't pass on the message to have a relief crew ready in Philly. 6 asked if they could find any deadheading crews to get it to NYP. They only had LSA's available. So that wasn't going to work. 6 desk had a work train crew making its way to Adams and passed through PHL while waiting for 66. That work train crew took over with the Conductors being relieved at TRE and the Head End crew at HAM interlocking.
I didn't get any response from the front desk at the Inn. I received a "that's the breaks." type attitude.

I agree,amamba takes the prize!
I've been on a 24 Hour Late Sunset Ltd. and several 12-14 Hour Late Trains into CHI, and Amtrak always took good care of the connecting passengers except in Florida on the Late Sunset East! (pun intended!)
Thanks for the shout-out!

In retrospect, my thirty hour late train wasn't really that bad. The staff did the best they could do and we were extremely lucky to be stopped in a town, at a station, for a large chunk of the delay. People were able to get off the train and walk around which I understand isn't always the case. It was the most business that McDonalds had ever seen at once I think!

Things are wicked busy at work so I haven't had much time to post lately, but I came on today because I am going to try to ride the dome on the Downeaster and I knew I could find all the details here. Hope everyone is well.

Three years ago on the Empire builder (during the height of the Bakken Oil boom) from Seattle to Chicago the train was scheduled to arrive into CUS at 3:55 PM. We were way behind schedule and were offered a dinner on whatever foods were still available. They had plenty of burgers so that is what we had. The train finally arrived at CUS at 3AM. After stopping at customer service,they directed us to a bus waiting to take us to an Embassy Suites in the Chicago suburbs. . We got to bed at 5 AM rose at 8AM had a complimentary breakfast and arrived at CUS around 11AM. That gave us some time to kill before our next leg of the trip. With no solution in sight, don't know if we want to take the EB again. Eleven hours late due to track traffic congestion show that the track capacity for OTP is just not there.

BTW, meals in the diner were/are never free. When available,they are a part of your sleeper fare.

My wife and I once rode the Coast Starlight from San Jose, Ca. to Los Angeles. There were heavy storms and the train was over two hours late arriving in SJC. Between King City and Paso Robles, a power line blew down over the tracks, causing the train to stop for nine more hours. We finally rolled into Los Angeles at 5:30 the next morning.

Lucky for us, we had booked a sleeper that day, so enjoyed a good night's sleep. When I awoke the next morning, I almost felt I had been transported back in time to the old Southern Pacific Lark!

I've had a 16 hour late CZ into Emeryville with heavy, HEAVY snow falling in the Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back