Viewliner II - Part 1 - Initial Production and Delivery

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gorgeous photos. I just hope they do right by these beauties and staff and don't force them to serve post-MCC Litchfield slop!

Gorgeous photos. I just hope they do right by these beauties and staff and don't force them to serve post-MCC Litchfield slop!
I guess I am in the minority here. The new dining cars are seriously UGGGGGGLY. Wow, they could not have made them look any more boring. Basic gray, huh? I have seen closed Carols with a better sense of style and décor.

I agree they are great interiors. While I do prefer a more classic look to things, I know a lot of people really only care about clean and functional these days, along with simple design.

I agree with Charlie. The VW2 Diner interior has about as much ambiance as a Waffle House interior. IMO The ceiling needs to be a darker shade to give the impression that it's lower. That would provide a more personal feeling to the dining area; less like a school cafeteria or high school gym. Hopefully there will be serious thought given to window treatments. The upper windows need full length curtains or shades to lessen the "fishbowl" feeling of all that glass. Once In-Service I hope the lower windows use curtains or shades to block the sun when needed. Again that would lessen the "fishbowl" feeling and soften the institutional look.

Instead of the direct fluorescent or LED ceiling lights I wish they would have used full length, indirect lighting above the lower windows. That or use individual lighting for each table above the lower windows. This would also serve to lower the perceived ceiling height.

IMHO the whole dining area should have had the same lowered ceiling level as the corridor next to the kitchen. For manufacturing ease one wouldn't have to remove the upper window structure; leave them be or replace the glass with stainless panels. But of course we are stuck with what we've got; oh well.

The manufacturers pictures would look a whole lot better if the dining area had been "staged": table cloths, silver- and glass-wear, plates, etc, etc.

CT-Park-Car.jpg

Via Rail dining.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the open/airy feeling with all the natural light. That's why I prefer Viewliner sleepers to Superliners.

Dark, low ceilings make me feel closed-in.

Is it possible to get a new thread for Viewliner II as this one is over 4 yrs old with 300 plus posts. Maybe call it "Viewliner II Rollout"? ( which of course optimistically assumes they will make it onto service)

I like the open/airy feeling with all the natural light. That's why I prefer Viewliner sleepers to Superliners.

Dark, low ceilings make me feel closed-in.
And if they had wanted that - the low ceilings "look", then they would not have made them the way they did with the higher ceiling and upper windows.

As with anything, you can't please everyone.

BTW, I've seen interior pics of 8400, the prototype and it has curtains on at least the lower windows.

The manufacturers pictures would look a whole lot better if the dining area had been "staged": table cloths, silver- and glass-wear, plates, etc, etc.
Why would the manufacturer stage it. They're selling their work to companies that want to buy train cars. It's up to Amtrak (or whoever else buys their product) to make the cars look inviting to their own customers.

They look an awful lot like the 8400. No curtains but I see curtain rail overhangs, so I figure they just haven't put the curtains in yet. If anything the design is slightly more "art deco" than the 8400 -- look at those ceiling lights!

I think they're pretty gorgeous and should attract customers,... if Amtrak markets them a little. (I remember meeting someone in the dining car of the LSL who had not realized that it had a dining car until she got on board. She was going from NYP to Schenectady and had always taken Empire Service. She ordered three mini-bottles of wine, and probably made quite a lot of money for Amtrak.)

I hope there are no curtains because there will always be somebody who wants to eat with the curtains closed and scenery going by. For sunlight, some kind of shade that lets you see out while deflecting direct sunlight would be nice.

In my long-ago experience with the first life of 8400, two negatives stood out: 1) On a bright summer day the light was nearly unbearable. All the windows had curtains, but the uppers could only be moved by standing on the benches. Upper curtains closed on the sunny side seemed to be the best compromise. 2) The air conditioning came in at vents at the base of the lower windows (like the sleepers, but without the adjustable vents). On a hot day, window passengers' window side arms got nearly frozen. Aside from that, the car was quite nice, though I remember the chefs saying the aisle in the kitchen was narrower than the Heritage diners'. I'm looking forward to trying out the 21st century version!

Add me to the not impressed with the interior crowd, especially compared to the "trains of yesteryear" or even a lot of trains around the world they seem dated already - which I suppose could be a good thing.

I've eaten in 8400 ( Indianapolis) Several times.and thought it was a big improvement over the Heritage Diners, especially the AC.

The Crews that I rode with all loved it too!

I agree that hopefully there will be some spiffing up done with colors and that useful curtains or blinds will be installed on the windows.

Bring 'me on already!!!

The crew on 8400 [on train 19] hated it. Rough riding. Maybe the answer was because of the ride rather than the condition of the interior.

The crew on 8400 [on train 19] hated it. Rough riding. Maybe the answer was because of the ride rather than the condition of the interior.
That's interesting, because my immediate distinct impression was that it was much smoother riding and the chef told me he "loved" it. The 8400 does not have the same interior as the one in the pics of the new cars.

That's interesting, because my immediate distinct impression was that it was much smoother riding and the chef told me he "loved" it. The 8400 does not have the same interior as the one in the pics of the new cars.
It is also odd because the Crescent is known to be one of the smoothest LD trains.

The 8400 does not have the same interior as the one in the pics of the new cars.
The idea of 8400 is that the new cars will be pretty much the same as it; at least in layout; there maybe some cosmetic changes but when it comes to working & dining in it, they should pretty much all be the same. 8400 is the testing car, so they made up an interior layout, sent it out for service, then (supposedly) listened to what OBS said they liked & disliked, made changes, rinse, repeat. That being said I don' think 8400 actually went back the BG for any changes.

As for ride, I wouldn't be surprised if 8400 had a poor-er ride quality then the other Viewliner Is or the new ones. 8400 is one of the three oldest Viewliners in Amtrak's fleet, has been extensively reworked a couple of times, it's bound to be showing some wear & tear from all that.

peter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back