My Interesting Adventure: WAS-KCY, July 8-15

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wjh2

Train Attendant
I am going to start off this post by saying that everything started off crazy from the get go and went smooth sailing, for the most part, from there. I was not originally going to take this trip, but my employer shut down the plant for the first two weeks in July and so I got to thinking about it. Ironically the day my supervisor announced the shutdown, a friend of mine who lives in Virginia invited me to come stay at his place for a few days. So I used my corporate discounts and was able to find some great deals on airfare, hotel, and rental car. The Amtrak trip was the most expensive part, but I didn't care. I went solo on this trip and it was the only time I had ever done that.

I had my dad drive me to the Tulsa International Airport in Tulsa, OK where I would catch a Southwest Airlines flight from there to Reagan National with stop in Houston. I was scheduled to arrive at 6:15 EST. The first leg of the flight was pretty much uneventful. I changed seats at Houston and opted to sit on the front row next to the window. We took off from Houston and the cabin felt warm. I thought it was just me, but other people were complaining. We were up the in air for ten minutes, before they turned the plane around and announced we were having mechanical issues. We landed fine, but were having troubles braking. The plane lurched up and down when the brakes were applied. It was kind of scary. We had to wait for another plane and pilots who could take us there. Three and half hours later, we took off at Houston. I wasn't really mad about, I knew that Southwest would handle it. To make a long story short, we landed at Reagan National Airport at 10 P.M. I waited another 45 minutes at baggage claim and then had to go pick up the rental car. By the time I picked up the rental car, I had to drive another 30 minutes to my hotel in Fairfax, Virginia. I arrived at the hotel and the front desk clerk looked at me and said I looked like I had a long day. I told her my story and she upgraded my room at no extra charge.

The next day Saturday, I drove to the Vienna Metro stop and parked the car and boarded the Orange Line Metro train and went to a few of the Smithsonian museums. I had already been to some of them last year, so I just took pictures of the new exhibits looked at some other things and left. I later went to the National Archives and saw the documents in the Rotunda. Pretty cool. Washington, D.C. now has a bus route that takes people to the monuments and around the National Mall with 15 stops along the route and is worth using.

ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1468645731.029599.jpg

ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1468645706.929487.jpg

The next day, Sunday, I drove on Interstate 66 heading west and found my friend's house in Woodstock, VA. It's a beautiful drive across that area. I spent two days drive through the Shenandoah National Park and Skyline Drive which is just beautiful. I also went in the Shenandoah Caverns which I really enjoyed.

ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1468645673.445375.jpg

ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1468645631.979992.jpg

On July 13, I said my good byes to my friend and his wife and drove back to Reagan National Airport to return the car. By doing it this way, I was able to have unlimited mileage on the reservation. I returned the car and headed towards the Metro stop. The Safe Track program is happening there right now and I was forced to take a bus to the Pentagon City stop and make my to Washington, D.C.'s Union Station. I had booked a Roomette on the Capitol LImited and the Southwest Chief. I toured the station some and went next door to the Postal Museum. I went back to the lounge and relaxed for a bit until train time. Boarded the train and had Carlos as my SCA, he was great and funny. I had a 6 PM dinner reservation and had the shrimp and crab cakes which I found to be pretty good. For dessert, I had the chocolate tart and was tasty as well. The Capitol Limited stayed on scheduled, but lost some time in the middle of the night. We were about 45 minutes late arriving into Toledo and stayed that way for the rest of the way into Chicago. That morning I had the scrambled eggs for breakfast.

We arrived in Chicago and I checked into the Metropolitan Lounge. I left my bags in the luggage room and proceeded to go out and go up to the Skydeck in Willis Tower. I had never done that before and I very impressed with it and a little nervous when stepping out on the ledge.

ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1468646448.609130.jpg

ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1468646473.645069.jpg

While I was in the gift shop in the basement, I ate lunch there and had a small Chicago deep dish pizza from Giordano's. It was awesome. I went back to Union Station and went in the Metro Lounge and took a look around. I have mixed feelings about it. It looks nice, but it is not utilized right in my opinion. There was a wine tasting and cheese and veggie trays available, but the boarding process is confusing and inefficient. The PA system is hard to hear at times and the way you board from there is a pain. I miss the old lounge, even though it was smaller.

I boarded the Southwest Chief and to walk extra long because there were 4 coaches. There was a Boy Scout troop and another group boarding and there was another Boy Scout Troop that got on at Galesburg. I had a 6:15 dinner reservation and had the hamburger. The diner was full and the staff was great. I noticed there is a new meal option for coach passengers that can eat at their seat and it must be popular because I saw about 40 of those containers go out towards coach when I was sitting there.

I arrived into Kansas City on time and my parents drove up to meet me and we spent the night in KC and I took them back to Union Station to see it in the day time. They loved it. Dad had been there to catch a train when he was a little kid and it brought back some good memories.

ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1468647454.512364.jpg

We walked on the bridge that spans over the tracks behind the station and ate at the Jack Stack barbecue restaurant. It was very good. Mom thoroughly enjoyed walking on the bridge and watching the trains pass by underneath.

We made it home safe and sound and I am ready to get back to normal. I hope you enjoyed reading about my crazy and eventful trip

Once the plane snafu was corrected, the rest of the trip to my old stomping grounds sounds great. ( I Love Washington except in the Winter and Summer! LOL)

Nice pics too, thanks for sharing your excellent adventure!

Great pictures... Love seeing the Kansas City Station in the daylight hours.

Thank you for the virtual train trip!

Enjoyed your trip report. Washington is a great place to see many historic artifacts and monuments. Interesting your trip to Woodstock, VA which is where my "ancient relatives" lived in the late 1790s before emigrating to Ohio. Sounds like your CL 29 and SWC 3 were nice rides. Hoping to see the new Chicago lounge someday soon and evaluate it for myself. Best wishes

Back