In Memory of Eric Minton - "GG-1"

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As Joe and Alan mentioned, Eric had worked with the Giants of Show Biz and his stories were fascinating!

As was said, he was especially fond of Peggy Fleming and Red Skelton, and he told me that Bob Hope was very friendly to the Crews and tipped well when Eric worked his shows!

He was also a "Union Man" and served as a Steward of his Union helping many members.

Last edited by a moderator:
As Joe and Alan mentioned, Eric had worked with the Giants of Show Biz and his stories were fascinating!

Indeed. Sometimes, we'd "close down" the chat room together. His stories about his days on the road were very entertaining.

The chat room won't be the same without him.

He will definitely be missed around these parts.

How sad.

I never had the pleasure of meeting him personally but always appreciated his contributions to AU.

RIP

Very sad to read the news. I met Eric for the first time in Boston. Also back in 2010 I met both Eric and Patrick in Los Angeles where we road to San Diego and eventually the Mexican Border. Hard to believe that they are both now no longer with us.

RIP Eric

R. I. P.

I have lost a lot of friends and family, even at my age of 13, I can imagine to someone who has contributed to AU and OTOL, which are great RR resources to me. A great thank you to Eric.

Very sorry to hear this -- I never met him, but I remember his name coming up when I met up with the two Joes a few years back. He was spoken highly of, as you might guess.

Wow, terrible news. I stopped by the forum today to visit chat, forgetting that it's Monday, not Sunday and then noticed this thread. He and I closed down chat on the 26th. 5 yrs ago I started visiting this forum to get tips for a train trip. I got many tips from him then that I used on the train and in my travels across the globe. Since I'm in Hawaii and he spent many years here, we naturally had plenty to chat about. Had another Amtrak trip a few weeks ago and came by here prior to that trip as well and got to thank him for tips I'd used over the years.

A Hui Hou, Eric.

I didn't get to meet Eric, so I'm glad to see the wonderful picture of him. He sounded from his posts like a true gentleman and terrific person, and I'm sorry for all of you who knew him that he is no longer here with us.

I received an email from Eric's sister this morning:

I've really enjoyed reading what Eric's friends have posted on Amtrak [unlimited]. Could you post a message from me saying how much their comments and memories have meant to me. I know Eric was loved and it is just so good reading it!

Bonnie

I am sending you a copy of the obituary for Eric that I submitted to the Las Vegas Review-Journal. It will appear in the Sunday paper on July 17 2016 and I though that you might want to see it.

Bonnie

Eric Joseph Daniel Minton​
1944 – 2016​
eric-minton.jpg

Eric Minton, born on July 21, 1944 in Philadelphia, PA, passed away on June 27, 2016 in Las Vegas, NV. He was the son of Frederick Roblin Minton and Ethel Dolores Howe.

He is survived by his daughter, Christine Minton Ibarra and his Granddaughter, Evangeline Ibarra of La, Habra, CA, his sister, Bonnie Minton Kryszak and her husband Wayne of Bowie, MD, and his former wife, Linda Marie Foreman Minton, also of La Habra, CA.

Eric graduated from Midwood High School in Brooklyn, NY in 1961, where, as President of the Audio-Visual Club, he began his life-long love of the theatre. He went on to work in several Little Theatre Groups, including The Little Theatre Group of Manchester, CT. Determined to work at Disneyland in California, he left the east coast in 1964 and did just that.

After his marriage in 1967, he and his wife moved to Hawaii where he joined I.A.T.S.E, Hawaii’s Technicians for Film, Television, Stage and Projection, Local Union 665 as a stagehand/spotlighter in a career that lasted over 35 years. He worked in many major performance venues, including the Waikiki Shell. His work also included television shows filmed in Honolulu, such as The Brian Keith Show and Magnum P.I. with Tom Selleck. His work brought him in contact with many celebrities, a favorite being Red Skelton, whom he greatly admired.

In 1977 Eric toured across the U.S., as a spotlighter, with the Ice Capades, starring Dorothy Hamill. He travelled with his four year old daughter, Chris, who had the attention of all the skaters.

His interests included model railroading and train travel. Eric was a member the Amtrak Unlimited Forum and the On-Track-On-Line Forum where he formed many friendships. Known as “GG-1”, after the Pennsylvania Railroad electric locomotive that was his favorite, he included his much loved daughter and granddaughter on many of these train trips. He was also an avid roller coaster fan.

In 2007 Eric moved to Las Vegas, NV. In Las Vegas he participated in the Annual Santa Claus Train Event. He helped produce his community newsletter and was president of Palm Grove Seniors Helping Seniors. He was an excellent photographer and used this talent to create a catalog of stagehand rental equipment for the Las Vegas area.

His heart and soul, however, remained in Hawaii. Many of his friends said that Eric had the heart and soul of a native Hawaiian: laid back, friendly, peaceful in nature. His big smile is what his family and friends remember most. He touched many lives and will be missed greatly.

As Eric would say to all who were in his life, “Mahalo and Aloha”

Services will be private.

Memorial donations may be made in Eric’s name to: Palm Grove Seniors Helping Seniors, Attn: Donave Stanley, Secretary/Treasurer 1624 Palm St, Lot 179 Las Vegas, NV 89104 or to The Red Skelton Museum of American Comedy, Attn: Anne Pratt 20 W Red Skelton Blvd. Vincennes, IN 47591 812-888-4184.

Mahalo for that beautiful tribute!

I will always remember (among many others) the first time I met Eric. It was during the LA Gathering when we went to SAN. While waiting for the rest of the group to come back, Eric walked into the SF station with his humongous video camera and his other cameras. I also remember that 1 year, he printed out the Gathering name tag for me as being from "Rode" Island, not Rhode Island! :giggle:

However, I will remember all the good times the most.

Aloha my friend!

I'm sad to hear of his passing.

I never had the pleasure of meeting Eric, but enjoyed his posts here on AU.

He will be greatly missed, praying for comfort for his family, friends and all those who knew him.

Back