The next few years

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No VIA does not have the same regulatory restriction as Amtrak. Transport Canada is actually considerably more flexible than FRA.

And in any case they will probably get a more timely delivery without being burdened with make is USA rules which Amtrak will always be subject to, which in itself increases the cost too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw this news in Progressive Railroading: VRE wraps up project to add third track. This is a different project from the 11 mile Arkendale to Powell's Creek 3rd track project, it is a VRE project to add 2.5 miles of 3rd track on the RF&P corridor south of Fredericksburg VA leading to the VRE railyard with a new station off on the 3rd track. Should help with traffic congestion on the corridor.

The Virginia Railway Express (VRE) on Tuesday opened a new third track between Hamilton and Spotsylvania County, Va.

The new track is aimed at increasing capacity and fluidity while also providing operational flexibility on CSX's rail line, which hosts VRE, Amtrak and CSX trains.

Revised for my own entertainment. The purpose of this for me is to keep track of *dates*, to see when I should expect things to open, to watch for early openings or delays. So I haven't included much with really unclear schedules (though see the end of the list) -- where I couldn't find a projected completion date, or where future groundbreaking dates seemed wildly speculative. This includes nearly everything done by the MBTA. If you've got a project I'm missing, please link me to a recent report with a projected completion date, or at least a groundbreaking date. Year is sufficient. I'm not looking past 2018, though.

2016:

late: New Milwaukee platforms and trainshed scheduled to open ("15-18" months from sometime after contract was awarded in June)
The Milwaukee station trainshed and platform improvements have been completed. When I was last at the station in late May there was still work ongoing, so I can't add anything to this article yet - http://urbanmilwaukee.com/2016/06/22/eyes-on-milwaukee-new-22-million-rail-concourse-opens/

I'm surprised to see that Milwaukee was allowed to build all-low-boarding platforms. This is going to increase the pressure on Wisconsin to buy bilevels.

12th daily round trip between San Diego and Los Angeles anticipated October 2016. Early morning from San Diego, mid-evening from Los Angeles. Some special trains from Los Angeles to Palm Springs in April 2017 and extra trains for Thanksgiving, not just longer ones.
I like all of this.

The specials to Indio-Palm Springs will get lots of earned media and word of mouth to build support for spending to upgrade that line for two more trains a day. Any extra trains at Thanksgiving will probably get TV coverage, too.

Tweaking the schedules of two trains to provide a commuter-friendly schedule Santa Barbara-L.A. and vice versa should increase business riders on that segment too.

An earlier arrival San Diego-L.A, and a later departure, giving a longer work day, should help attract more business travelers.

+++++++++++

How do they do it? Nobody else can spare a coach, much less a sleeper or a food service car. But California keeps launching new trains: the 7th San Joaquin last month, and now this!

The Surfliners counted 2,827,134 riders in FY2015. Most of them on the 11-frequency L.A.-San Diego segment. Divide the 2.8 million by 11, divide that by half to be conservative, and we're looking at adding about 130,000 more riders from the 12th frequency. Add a few per cent for the usual annual growth, and this route should be 3 million a year by the end of 2017.

Last edited by a moderator:
How do they do it? Nobody else can spare a coach, much less a sleeper or a food service car. But California keeps launching new trains: the 7th San Joaquin last month, and now this!

The Surfliners counted 2,827,134 riders in FY2015. Most of them on the 11-frequency L.A.-San Diego segment. Divide the 2.8 million by 11, divide that by half to be conservative, and we're looking at adding about 130,000 more riders from the 12th frequency. Add a few per cent for the usual annual growth, and this route should be 3 million a year by the end of 2017.
Previous presentations to the board have indicated that they're able to do this by using existing equipment a bit more efficiently.

Well, better late than never!

LOSSAN thingies

-Poinsettia station replaces at grade pedestrian crossing with an undercrossing and an inter-track fence, 15" platforms.
Poinsettia Station to get rail improvements

CARLSBAD — One year after its proposed renovation, the Poinsettia train station rehabilitation will begin in April, according to the San Diego Association of Government.

Jim Linthicum, director of mobility for SANDAG, updated the Carlsbad City Council on Feb. 13 of the organization’s plans, timeline and budget for the project.

He said a stretch of the corridor, known as the San Luis Obispo-Los Angeles-San Diego corridor, will be double tracked to improve travel times. In addition, the project also consists of below-grade passageway for travelers, raising the platform to be in sync with Amtrak trains and extending the platform to 1,000 feet.“It will improve travel times and reliability and we’ll also have better amenities out there,” Linthicum said.

The upgrades are necessary, Linthicum said, as the corridor is the second busiest in the country, behind the northeast corridor running from Washington, D.C., to Boston. The California line features Amtrak, the Coaster (North Country Transit District) and freight trains.He added the station will be similar to the Oceanside Transit Station with the upgrades plus adding shelters. The under crossings, meanwhile, will improve safety as riders must cross the tracks in its current state.

As for the double tracks, Linthicum said about two-thirds of the county’s corridor is completed, and with this and more than 20 other projects are completed, about 75 percent will be double tracked. The platform will be longer because we want to plan for the future train,” he explained. “That will be a 10-car, either for Amtrak or Coaster. We will raise the platform some, so you will have level boarding, at least for Amtrak. That is a standard the federal government placed on everyone a few years ago.”

Back