Southwest Chief #3(25)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
^^ **Strongly agree with DA** ^^

I recall with much anguish, the decision that my sister and I had to make about our dear Mother, a decision we arrived at not lightheartedly, but after great deal of deliberation, taking deeply into consideration her wishes expressed to us often implicitly, in discussions over many decades. To this day everyone involved believes we made the right decision in pulling life support. So no, life is **not** always better than the alternative. It depends on the situation ... **always**. Luckily 99 cases out of hundred the situation dictates that the decision is towards "life". But that does not mean that the other 1 out of hundred (or hopefully even a smaller proportion) does not exist.

All that I can say is as far as possible *being responsible for making a decision about the life or death of someone* as the responsible party in a living will, documented or implicit, is probably not the best place to be at.

Excuse me for jumping on your nerve endings DA.- Last week i went through some vary harrowing heart surgery with the instructions that no unusual measures be taken in the case of unsuccessful resuscitation, My living will clearly states the same. To write off the life a small child that survived this trauma is unfathomable,

I had to make just this same decision with Father, and did so without question because his intentions were clearly made when he was cognizant. He was dead in an hour, and I felt honored I had the guts to comply with his direction although i wanted him to be around for ever. I am sure a small child has no living will, but to routinely dismiss her life because her family died is unthinkable.

What I said, you guys think I wanted the child to die. That is not what I meant. I didn't want any of these people to die. It's a horrible tragedy what happened. I was just thinking why God would spare one child and let all the rest die. I just though perhaps this little girl would have a hard time coping with this. I have also been through my fair of tragedies. My brother was murdered and my sister died of cancer. So, no I didn't want this little girl to die, all I was saying is maybe she would have been happier in Heaven with her family. It was just a statement. Please don't think I am a cold hearted person, because that is far from the truth. If you knew me, you would know I have the biggest softest heart. I am still amazed this little girl survived after seeing that mangled car.

Yes, Blackpup, your sentiments are clear. I am sure you are a kind person and am sorry to hear of the loss of your brother. It's just, and I am trying to be diplomatic, that particular comment was not well received in the awfulness of this accident.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back