Odd little detour, 21 (May 30)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fillyjonk

OBS Chief
Anyone know a reason for why 21 (southbound TE) on May 30 would have backed into the STL station, then gone back over the Mississippi, and crossed somewhere further south? Flooding? I know both the previous day's Eagles were seriously delayed.

We crossed using what I think of as the "Northern route" (don't know the name of the newer RR bridge, but it's the route that involves several short tunnels and parallels the west bank of the river for a short while). Then we backed into the station to do the refueling and passenger work. Then we pulled back out, crossed the old Eads bridge, and proceeded through Illinois. It was getting late and dark and the only town name I could see (before giving up and trying to sleep) was Dupo.

I am also wondering, where exactly did we cross the Mississippi to get to Poplar Bluff? At Cape Girardeau?

It was kind of interesting but as it was nighttime there was little I could see to figure out where we were/where we were going.

Anyone know a reason for why 21 (southbound TE) on May 30 would have backed into the STL station, then gone back over the Mississippi, and crossed somewhere further south? Flooding? I know both the previous day's Eagles were seriously delayed.

UP is performing track work between STL-PBF, so The Beagles are detouring until the 15th of June.

I'm taking the 21 out of STL tonight. Hope we depart close to on-time so there will be enough daylight to check out the Illinois track.

On the bright side, it CAN'T be any rougher than the UP track north of PBF. On the down side, we are crossing the old (very old) Eads bridge !!

Several times I rode this route back in old days when Mopac still ran the Eagles and Union Station was a Very Busy Place!

Having a Real Railroad Breakfast in the Diner while riding along the Mississippi and backing up the hill into Union Station while in the Dome Car is a pleasant memory!

I'm taking the 21 out of STL tonight. Hope we depart close to on-time so there will be enough daylight to check out the Illinois track.

On the bright side, it CAN'T be any rougher than the UP track north of PBF. On the down side, we are crossing the old (very old) Eads bridge !!
Actually, the track seemed SMOOTHER than the UP track the Eagle usually takes. I know there are patches of the usual track where I feel like I'm being "thrown around" in the roommette bunk.

And yeah, I hope you're on time so you can see a bit more than I did. I think we were about an hour late leaving STL.

21(2) is taking the Pana sub detour through eastern Illinois. It's mostly 60 mph so the TE will probably be a little late into STL, even though there is only one stop for a crew change in Villa Grove, IL.

Yeah, the re-route caused us some delays getting to St. Louis on the way back to Chicago, and we were delayed about two hours when we got back in yesterday when all was said and done. I'm an LSA in the cafe car.

We crossed using what I think of as the "Northern route" (don't know the name of the newer RR bridge, but it's the route that involves several short tunnels and parallels the west bank of the river for a short while). Then we backed into the station to do the refueling and passenger work. Then we pulled back out, crossed the old Eads bridge, and proceeded through Illinois. It was getting late and dark and the only town name I could see (before giving up and trying to sleep) was Dupo.
It sounds like you crossed the river on the rail only Merchant's Bridge, then along the west bank, and finally through a tunnel under downtown St. Louis to the station. Incidently, that wouldn't be the newest RR bridge. The dates: Eads 1874, Merchants 1889, and McArthur first used 1917.

But I'm guessing you crossed back over on the McArthur Bridge. I think this is the "southern route"; and the long gone River Cities used this to get to its connection with the City of New Orleans. Now the Eads's rail deck carries only light rail. Once upon a time it did carry intercity trains that proceeded from E. St. Louis Relay Station to Union Station via the tunnel.

Too late out of STL to see the Illinois reroute southbound. But, a week later I got the full effect on the northbound ride. And the ride was super smooth !!

I live in southern Illinois so it was fun to see my 'stomping ground' from a completely different perspective.

It sounds like you crossed the river on the rail only Merchant's Bridge, then along the west bank, and finally through a tunnel under downtown St. Louis to the station. Incidently, that wouldn't be the newest RR bridge. The dates: Eads 1874, Merchants 1889, and McArthur first used 1917.

But I'm guessing you crossed back over on the McArthur Bridge. I think this is the "southern route"; and the long gone River Cities used this to get to its connection with the City of New Orleans. Now the Eads's rail deck carries only light rail. Once upon a time it did carry intercity trains that proceeded from E. St. Louis Relay Station to Union Station via the tunnel.
As a boy back in the late 1950s or early 1960s, I remember being on the St. Louis Riverfront (before the Arch) and seeing B&O's National Limited crossing the Eads Bridge after stopping at Washington Station while GM&O's Abraham Lincoln passed underneath on the Riverfront line. Both trains had similar Teardrop Observation on the end of the train.

How was the chow on the Eagles Colonel? There are some really good Chefs and Diner Crews on this route and, unfortunately, a couple of Pi** poor ones!
Got on the train too late in STL for dinner and on my last TE trip the breakfast was horrible so I just had OJ and coffee in my seat.

Coming back, I was leaving Dallas which, like Chicago, is a great food city. So, I ate a fantastic late lunch before boarding and passed on the diner northbound also.

I did 'beg' for a few bottled waters. They are now hidden and guarded like the crown jewels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back