Traveling With a Broken Foot

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here’s the situation. I have broken my foot and am in a non walking cast for the next couple of months. Besides not being able to walk without crutches I can’t put my foot down at the moment for a signifiant amount of time without my cast becoming tight. I need to be able to put my leg out to keep from having issues. My wife and I are thinking of making a trip from GRO to BAL on the Carolinian around Memorial Day weekend. This can allow us to avoid driving since I can’t drive as well. I’ve taken this trip in 2007 when I was in Graduate School and other than being late a couple of hours was fine. My wife would attempt to “work from home on the train”. I am just trying to get some ideas before we commit to this trip either way.

Here’s a list of questions for everyone…

Any preference of HPT or GRO? I live between the two and would be dropped off either way.

I am comfortable with crutches but can’t do a marathon either. Will my lack of maneuverability be an issue at the station or train? Will it be possible to get seating that I can keep my leg raised as needed or will I have to use the cafe car? Is there anything else I need to tracking for dealing with the broken foot?

How reliable is the wifi? Also how reliable is Verizon wireless for data and phones to work? Are there electrical outlets at every seat to use a laptop?

Thanks in advance for your help…

I cannot answer all of your questions, but will try with some of them. I have not traveled from GRO to BAL on the Carolinian, but have traveled from Florida to the NEC many times.

My guess is that crutches will not be a problem in the station, but there may be issues on a crowded train over a holiday weekend.

Hopefully someone familiar with the Carolinian will chime in as to whether keeping your leg raised in coach is feasible. I would phone Amtrak and speak to a telephone agent to determine if there is a seating arrangement that could accommodate your disability. I am not sure the cafe car would be easier for you.

It may be more comfortable in Business Class than in coach, but I am not sure.

The wi-fi on the Silver Meteor was intermittent. My Verizon wireless was much more reliable. There were a few dead zones, but not many. There should be electrical outlets at each seat.

I hope you enjoy your trip and you are up and running marathons soon. :)

I would definitely book Business Class. The seating has somewhat more leg room than the standard coach cars used on the Carolinian, and they have foot rests that may be of some help.

Quote: "Will it be possible to get seating that I can keep my leg raised as needed"

How much elevation will you need? I'm picturing the back of the seat in front of you limiting space and elevation. There may be a 'bulk head' seat that doesn't face the back of another seat, but I don't know about availability.

Are the cars Amfleet 2? Those would be a little more generous on pitch and recline.
No. The cars are Amfleet 1. The Business Class car is a former Metroliner coach with lower seating density and greater seat spacing (pitch).

Crutches go down first as you stand in the door on the one good leg, with your hands on top of the crutches.

Then, you hop down onto the one good leg, put the crutches under your arms and mosey along - good leg, crutches, good leg, crutches, rinse and repeat.

How to use crutches

https://youtu.be/pYzUQb79_Rw

Last edited by a moderator:
how will you get on or off train at low level platform, with crutches??
Good question.

As for myself, I'm a senior citizen who walks unsteadily with a cane. When I boarded the SWC west bound in Albuquerque I had to step up onto a

yellow step stool (?) and then step up into the train. I managed to do it with great difficulty while train crew stood by and watched. (I would have appreciated a steadying hand)

Again in L.A. I had to climb what appeared to be a short inclined ladder of about five steps to board the Pacific Surfliner to San Diego. I managed the steps with great difficulty and pretty much entered the car on my hands and knees. (Ironically there was a "Handicap accessible" sign next to the car entrance)

Fortunately coming home I could basically just step into/onto the train cars. I can't imagine how some one non-weight bearing on crutches could do it if necessary.

how will you get on or off train at low level platform, with crutches??
He could ask to use the wheelchair "ramp". AdamsA, I would suggest you contact Amtrak and ask them to put something on your reservation that will let the conductor know (via is manifest) that you will need "handicap access" help getting on and off the train.

For the single level trains at a low platform, I've seen them board a wheelchair passenger using a lift device with the trap closed so they could go straight in. I guess you call ahead to have that ready. The other end of his trip is Baltimore, that should be high platform, level entry/exit.

I had a broken ankle in two places plus fused last year so like you crutches and many casts but there is no way I would take the train. If it is moving and swaying..good chance..down ya go.Going up steps is not too bad but going down is.

Me, I wouldn't risk it..tips are wet on a metal surface..down ya go.What ever you decide don't take a chance and get hurt again.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd second the good advice about calling Amtrak, explaining your situation, and asking for note of it to be made on your reservation. I've often traveled with my elderly, mobility-impaired father, and find Amtrak staff very helpful--when they know he needs help.

The obstacles you might encounter are so varied, depending on which station and which car of which train, that it's best to make sure Amtrak knows you'll need handicapped accommodation and allow them to work out the details.

You might want to check with your orthopedic surgeon and go with his recommendation.

When I broke my foot my Ortho Dr. would not allow any travel(had a coast to coast planned) and thanks to flight ins. and AGR cancellation policy, I came out whole financially.

Thanks for all of the responses. At this point its looking like we're not going to take this trip. The upgrade alone to Business Class for the two of us both ways is more than what we budget for gas to drive on this trip (our car pulls 35-40 mpg)... Looking at seat diagrams for Amfleet I's doesn't show handicapped seating or the type we need. Getting on and off the train while a pain seems doable using the wheelchair access but moving around the train seems dicey at best along with not having any guarantees to keep my leg elevated at waist height seems very uncomfortable for that long.

Hopefully someone else in my situation can use all of the advice in the future.

To give an update several months later...

My wife and I made the decison not to do the trip based on the feedback. I can't think everyone enough for it. All told I was on crutches for seven weeks and in a cast or boot for 13 weeks.

Last week I purchased a car in Durham but live in High Point, NC. I took 74 from HPT to DNC to avoid having to deal with getting a ride from someone else. There is no way that I could have managed a coach seat for the length that HPT or GRO is to BAL. I know there's some differences between the Piedmont and Carolinian service but even still. There is no way I could have propped my leg up. Everything onboard is handicap accessible but there's not really the ability to stretch a broken leg out. Getting onboard with the crutches wouldn't be an issue because of the wheelchair ramp used to board but everything else would have been troublesome at best. Using crutches is hard enough but if I would have needed to visit a bathroom or the cafe car I wouldn't have been comfortable maneuvering. The sway and movement of the car would have thrown my balance off. This is something that I didn't take into account. In the future if someone is thinking of taking the train with a broken leg or on crutches like I was. I would avoid it like the plague!

I will add that the internet was surprising great on 74 between HPT and DNC. My wife would have had no issues using the internet to work with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back