mke problem!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

flying_babyb

Train Attendant
Is there someplace that we can store our baggage? We have sleepers from chicago to dc the same day. Amtrack changed our bus so we have a two hr layover. IS there places to eat nearby? Its going to be 8am and the kids (teens) will have been up since 4. I dont wanna deal with crabby kids so food and coffee MUST appper!

There is a small shop in the station itself that has some food items. And if there's a coffee shop about half a block north of the station on 5th Street.

As far as baggage, are you planning on checking your bags? You could do that as soon as the bus arrives in Milwaukee. If not, and you're asking about a way to store your carry-on bags for a couple hours at the station, you could ask at the ticket counter - I live in Milwaukee and have never had to do that so I'm not sure it's a service they offer, but most sizable stations do.

There is a small shop in the station itself that has some food items. And if there's a coffee shop about half a block north of the station on 5th Street.

As far as baggage, are you planning on checking your bags? You could do that as soon as the bus arrives in Milwaukee. If not, and you're asking about a way to store your carry-on bags for a couple hours at the station, you could ask at the ticket counter - I live in Milwaukee and have never had to do that so I'm not sure it's a service they offer, but most sizable stations do.
we're not checking anything so ill have to check with ticket counter (or make my aunt sit with it all)

You can always get on an earlier Hiawatha.. They are an unreserved train.. Meaning that you can get on any of them.. So if you are supposed to take 338 you can get on 336, 334, or any of the Hiawatha departures. Also much better food selection in Chi town.. From the food court to nearby eateries. Not to mention since you have sleeping Accommodations you can check into the Met Lounge in Chicago and store bags for free. On top of that it's guarded at all times by a Red Cap. When you check in the Attendant will give you a card to show when you come back in.

First Link shows a "small" Gioardanos Pizza.. Stuffed of course.. https://www.instagram.com/p/BCOCt1TTAzr/?taken-by=steveridesthetrain

Second shows a breakfast at Lou Mitchell's.. Bacon, Egg, & Cheese on a Bagel, Hash Browns, and a Bagel & Cream Cheese.. https://www.instagram.com/p/BCQzrY8TAyy/?taken-by=steveridesthetrain

Both are good places to eat.. Although IINM Lou Mitchell's has limited afternoon hours..

Edit to Add info: If you get in before 8am with a decent amount of time to spare.. There is a train at 8:05. If you can make that I say go for it.. Not knowing what time your bus is scheduled to get into MKE or how much padding is in the bus schedule. I would say if you can make that without rushing you'll be ok. If the train coming from Chicago is on time it'll be getting in around 7:40am.

Last edited by a moderator:
I once thought of storing something at the MKE station. I asked at the Amtrak counter and they sent me to the bus counter. The folks at the bus counter said they would store my bags behind the counter for a fee. In the end I decided not to. I don't know if this service is still offered. I would call the bus counter and ask personnel there if they offer storage for luggage.

Forgot to mention there is a pretty good coffee shop in the MKE station right across from the Amtrak counter. Full line of beverages and sandwiches, some made to order items, salads and desserts. Some healthy. Not sure if it's open early in the AM, but my guess is it is. Otherwise the immediate vicinity of the station is pretty empty, but the Public Market is accessible on foot (with kids? not so sure).

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back