Pittsburgh to Denver

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

librarian

Train Attendant
Last fall, I mentioned to my Assistant that the April 2016 Conference of the Public Library Association in Denver would make a great train trip from our nearby Pittsburgh Station, and he agreed to let me book the trip. I made the reservations in December 2015 and was able to achieve inexpensive bedrooms on two segments of the trip.

We departed on Saturday, April 2 from the Pittsburgh Station. Construction at the Station seems to be completed from past trips; even the escalator is now working. It was a quiet Saturday night in the Station, not a large crowd awaiting the 11:59 pm departure of Train 29, the Capitol Ltd. My smart phone showed an on-time departure, but I was surprised at the early arrival of 29 about 11:20 pm. The staff seemed pleased to get us on board and settled for departure.

Since my Assistant is originally from Monaca, PA, he was interested in staying up to see the sights along the Ohio River from Pittsburgh. It was cold, and snow showers through the valley. We went to bed after that, but I awoke at the next stop of Alliance, Ohio to witness a blizzard of snow making it hard for the hand full of departing passengers to struggle to the parking lot. By Cleveland, the snow had ended, and our trip continued on time until I awoke at Toledo which is a service stop. The night was now clear and I sat and watched the scene pass by. We continued our on time trek across Indiana, even sitting for a short time at Waterloo due to an early arrival.

We went to breakfast about 6:45 am, and found the CCC car rather sparse of customers. Our Sleeping Car Attendant had said that the train was nearly full, but few had emerged for breakfast. The CCC car has only half the space for customers compared to a full diner, with the other half serving as the sales counter for the cafe car. We returned to the bedroom for the trip into Chicago. We certainly didn't pass many freight trains across Indiana as compared to my previous trips.

The Capitol Ltd. backed into Union Station in Chicago, so we took advantage of the Red Cap service for transport to the Metropolitan Lounge, and the Red Cap inquired if we were "going out" on another train as he would like to provide us service. (Maybe I tipped to much?) We relaxed in the Metropolitan Lounge for awhile, then looked around the Station which was rather quiet being a Sunday. Construction is ongoing in several places with ceiling tile removed to expose the utilities of the building, and I pointed out to Mike the location of the new Metropolitan Lounge and Ticket Counters.

We exited the Station for a Sunday brunch at Lou Mitchell's, which already had a line of customers out-the-door on this crisp Sunday morning. By the time we were seated, the line was twice as long but everyone seemed to be enjoying the meal which was served quickly. We returned to the Metropolitan Lounge to find the Red Cap already scouting us for the 2:00 pm departure of the California Zephyr. Eventually, he took us out of the lounge and seated us in his cart almost 20 minutes before the official call was made.

It was April 3, and Train 5, the California Zephyr departed right on time into the sunny afternoon, headed westbound. With no commuter traffic, we moved right along passing Naperville, IL. At around 3 pm. some 65 miles west of Chicago, something happened that has never taken place in my 30 years of rail travels ---- we struck a car at a rail crossing. We felt nothing on the train, not a bump or jolt, only a small puff of smoke and a black object flying away from the train. Train 5 went into emergency braking, which brought us to a smooth stop. I thought there had been some sort of mechanical problem with the train, but an announcement by the rattled Conductor reported that we had hit a car at the crossing in Somonauk, IL and we were stopped in front of the school.

Our Sleeping Car Attendant came and checked on each of us, and provided information as it became available. Eventually, it was reported that the car had been occupied and local fire and police vehicles began arriving, as well as pick-up trucks and firemen on gators. Head end power continued operation of electrical service on the train. EMT set up services in the lower level of the Lounge Car for any passengers injured, but no one of the 247 passengers and 25 staff reported any injury. A new crew was brought out from Chicago on the Lincoln Service Train, and we had the Southwest Chief blocked behind us. BNSF Railroad came and checked the tracks and made some repairs to the Amtrak locomotive.

Eventually, it was reported that the car was wrapped around the front of the locomotive and was being removed. It passed the train on the right on a flat-bed truck, and it was shocking to see the wreckage. Later newspaper reports told of the 28 year old male that was killed, and that he had driven around the lowered gates and operating crossing lights into the path of the train.

The staff began serving dinner and reopened the cafe car while BNSF moved two freight trains past us on the second track, which allowed the Southwest Chief to pass us and bring the replacement crew for our train. About 7:30 pm, we were cleared to continue our trip. We proceeded slowly for several miles, then returned to the 79 MPH speed.

We went to bed after dinner, and the train was rather quiet after the incident. At dinner we found out that a Group Skiing Party from Grand Rapids, MI was on board, and an additional baggage car had been added to the train for their equipment. So, indeed Train 5 was sold out for this trip.

I woke up at 1:15 am, because the train was stopped. We were on the approach to the Burlington, Iowa RR Bridge, but were stopped as the lift span was in the "up" position and we had a red signal. Looking at my watch, and calculating where we were stopped, I calculated that we were now 8 hours behind schedule.

We heard the Car Attendant in the hallway, so we opened the door and asked if there was another problem. I thought that perhaps the locomotive had other problems, but the answer was that we had been waiting 3 hours as the Bridge Operator was unfound and there was no one to close the bridge so we could cross. Shortly thereafter, the bridge span was lowered and we were on our way.

After returning home, I found a newspaper article stating that BNSF called 911 and the Burlington Fire Department had to climb the bridge tower and enter the Bridge House. The article simply stated that the fire department did not encounter "a medical emergency." The operator was relieved of his duties and someone else lowered the bridge.

The remainder of the night we crossed Iowa picking up passengers that had dutifully waited for the 8 hour late train, arriving in Omaha about 6:30 am. The rest of the daylight trip across Nebraska into Denver was uneventful. We had counted Monday as a day to walk around Denver, but it turned out that we didn't arrive until 4 pm so we could check in to the hotel and find a place for dinner as the Conference began the next day.

Not a trip I want to repeat, but the Amtrak staff did a marvelous job with the situation with everyone's safety foremost in their mind. I will post the return trip, but can tell you that it holds none of the drama of the trip out to Denver

Thank you very much for the report of your eventful trip. I hope you enjoyed the conference very much!

Hubby and I took the Empire Builder and Lincoln Service to an Acres USA eco-farming conference in 2013. The Builder was 18 hours late, as the fracking boom was in high gear then. We eventually made it to our hotel just in time to throw our bags in the room, and head on downstairs to the first event of the conference.

Back