Upcoming Empire Builder trip - the wife has questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

George K

Conductor
Riding #27 in a bedroom next month.

First of all: Luggage

We will keep a large suitcase downstairs. Probably no need to access it, but you never know.

I plan to bring a briefcase with my electronics and adult beverage(s).

A small suitcase is the one we'll live out of for the 2 day trip - toiletries, change of undies, etc. That will come to the bedroom. It's worked will on CONO for us in the past.

The Mrs. wants to bring a backpack with her entertainment stuff (knitting, etc).

AND she wants to bring a bag with her (wonderful) pillows.

Am I over the limit?

Another question: She LOVES popcorn. The microwave kind is obviously convenient. Is there any way to get that done?

Last edited by a moderator:
I travel in bedrooms. Popcorn no idea. I carry a suitcase that is carryon airplane size. 22x14 x I don't know. It fits under the chair. Many days of clothing fit in there including jeans, shorts and tshirts long and short sleeve. I hang a few things up and sometimes have a spray bottle of wrinkle release. I have a small six pack size cooler that sits next to window. A full backpack goes up on the shelf by the bathroom door and my shaving kit sits by the sink. Pillows I don't carry along. You will be fine.

Pretty sure the microwaved popcorn will be a no-go. As far as the amount you are carrying, if you can handle it all, there should be no fuss.

As long as you can carry it all, not a problem. I would leave the large bag downstairs in the luggage rack. There are no microwaves available for passenger use. all are located in the café and diners for employee use preparing passenger meals. Though I like a good pillow, they do take up additional volume, volume you are carrying. Me, if I need additional support under my pillow, I either ask the SCA for an extra and/or use something like a sweatshirt under my pillow.

In theory you COULD ask your SCA about the popcorn... perhaps a good tip (some would say bribe) could get the job done.

Don't tell anyone, but I've seen OBS eating Popcorn in tbe Transdorm, so someone has to pop it for them in tbe microwave!!

Perhaps as Crescent-Zephyr said a kind SCA could get it popped for you on the QT??

No problem for what you want to take! Just be aware you'll be on the last car of the train and you'll get plenty of exercise walking to/from the Diner and SSL on the Front of the train!

Just be aware you'll be on the last car of the train and you'll get plenty of exercise walking to/from the Diner and SSL on the Front of the train!
I mentioned that to SWMBO - she has orthopedic issues limiting walking. She was glad that we have the SSL halfway there to rest in.

If you're in a sleeper, the Sightseer Lounge is on the OTHER side of the dining car, I think. I am not sure. There will be plenty of folks to jump on me if I'm wrong.

Edited: I AM wrong. The sleeper for 27 is on the rear of the train, so one has to walk through the coaches AND the Sightseer Lounge to get to the dining car.

I blame all those trips on No. 5 and No. 6.

If you're in a sleeper, the Sightseer Lounge is on the OTHER side of the dining car, I think. I am not sure. There will be plenty of folks to jump on me if I'm wrong.
From rear to front:

Sleeper - That's where we'll be.

Coach

Coach (bag?)

SSL

Coach

Coach

Diner

Sleeper

Sleeper

Baggage

(not sure about stuff in front of the diner.

Alert! Alert! Alert! Alert! Alert! Alert! Alert! Alert! Alert!

Why Microwave Popcorn Is An Absolute Health Nightmare

http://foodbabe.com/2013/11/12/microwave-popcorn/

http://health.howstuffworks.com/diseases-conditions/respiratory/popcorn-lung.htm
No surprises there. American made microwave popcorn is full of Guinea pig chemicals and coatings that are likely to be harmful to human heath. Not all the news is bad though. I recently tried Quinn Popcorn, which claims to be free of untested chemicals and coatings, and tastes ten times better than the conventional stuff.

Your SCA can arrange to bring your meals to your sleeping car room from the diner, if your wife prefers not walking through 5 or 6 cars to get to the diner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back