Ever order a pizza while enroute to the next station?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's being done in India, which in and of itself would seem to be a small miracle given how crowded the platforms get and issues with schedules. The following says that out of 350 orders, only 4 weren't completed.

http://time.com/3964081/dominos-india-railways-train-passenger-delivery/

http://qz.com/350289/hungry-now-order-a-pizza-on-an-indian-train/

http://www.irctcstationcode.com/order-pizza-train/

However, this is in India where labor costs are cheap and the middle class can afford things that the working class just can't. The cost of having an employee wait at a platform is probably very small compared to the cost of a pizza from an international brand.

This is also being done via the Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation. So they actually have employees whose job it is to deliver food directly to the passenger. I doubt Amtrak has that kind of service.

I read a couple of years ago of a couple guys eastbound on the SWC that ordered a steak dinner to be delivered to a stop in Illinois. Worked out well for them. I've had Amtrak steaks and it wouldn't take much to improve on that.

I read a couple of years ago of a couple guys eastbound on the SWC that ordered a steak dinner to be delivered to a stop in Illinois. Worked out well for them. I've had Amtrak steaks and it wouldn't take much to improve on that.
While surely not on the par of Peter Luger's or David Burke's, the last flat iron steak I had on the EB was passable. Actually medium rare....too bad no creamed spinach.

How about a food cart (like the hot dog cart at the Orlando station) at longer stops, close to the train (again, like the stand at Orlando) so no one will get left behind, and perhaps only there when the train stops at a mealtime. Using the Florida Silver routes, with the stop at Jacksonville, as an example:

Both the Star and the Meteor get into JAX in the morning, so a breakfast cart could be there from, say, 6:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. That way, the Star passengers and the coach Meteor passengers would have better (presumably--food carts have come a long way in quality) breakfast choices than those in the café car on the train. (Although they would have to make a mad dash to be first in line!)

I am sure Amtrak would not like this, because they want people to be stuck buying stuff in the café car. However, the hot dog cart is there as proof it can be done. Any thoughts on this? (And those of you who may think this is an awful idea, please do not throw a virtual Amtrak breakfast sandwich at me! :p )

While a good idea, Amtrak may not be too keen on the idea.

Just look at ELP as an example. For years, the burrito lady sold burritos on the platform when the SL came thru. (It was even meal time!) And they even announced it on the PA. (Before that, she was a ABQ at train time.) They still allow her to sell the burritos but she could not be on the station property. (I'm not Sure, but I think she's back.)

Just look at ELP as an example. For years, the burrito lady sold burritos on the platform when the SL came thru. (It was even meal time!) And they even announced it on the PA. (Before that, she was a ABQ at train time.) They still allow her to sell the burritos but she could not be on the station property. (I'm not Sure, but I think she's back.)
Has anyone confirmed it was Amtrak that kicked her out? If so who exactly decided to let her back in again? In El Paso the SL OBS actually go out of their way to announce the Burrito Lady over the PA. So whoever was disputing access for the burrito lady it doesn't appear to be the staff who actually travel through there and buy her burritos along with everyone else. For me the real question is what happens if and when Amtrak is unable to balance the food and beverage budget in time to appease the anti-rail caucus in Congress. Will they merely ban anyone from selling food on platforms or will they begin preventing passengers from bringing their own food aboard in order to entice force them to eat more AmChow junk food?

Last edited by a moderator:
How about a food cart (like the hot dog cart at the Orlando station) at longer stops, close to the train (again, like the stand at Orlando) so no one will get left behind
The existence of a food cart close to the train does not guarantee no one will left behind. While waiting for the Silver Meteor (97) about a month or so ago, I witnessed 2 passengers from the Silver Star (91) get left behind in Orlando. I do not know the details, but I think they thought they had more time to grab a hot dog and hang out. I am not sure of their destination, but they were able to get on 97 a couple of hours later.

"...the idea that coordinating a simple food delivery borders on the impossible is just plain silly."

Well DA this thread started with a simple question, "Ever order pizza while enroute to the next station?" This is response no 35 and so far no member of this forum has answered with a simple "yes" and given details. One person has said it's been done many times, and another has seen staff picking up pizzas at stations. Pardon me if I'm skeptical. I'm curious because if it IS possible it opens up many possibilities (for me) although pizza wouldn't be one of them.

As background the two stations I'm most familiar with are NYP and CUS and of course at these stations it IS indeed impossible for any non-ticketed person to approach the platforms or the trains. Interestingly the same is true at MKE (Milwaukee) so it's not just big cities that keep non-PAX away from the trains. Any real information, and not pure speculation, about food deliveries initiated by passengers to train platforms while enroute would truly be appreciated.

Any real information, and not pure speculation, about food deliveries initiated by passengers to train platforms while enroute would truly be appreciated.
Real information? You want real information?? Here??? YGTBSM!!!!! :p

I suspect people could have food delivered to the train at my home station. Though there signs that say only ticketed passengers..., I go up to the platform without a ticket. And there are some food places nearby that could send someone on foot to deliver - parking would be too much trouble.

I'm sure I've read here on AU about at least one person's experience having food delivered.

edit: Typo

I have done it several times in SJM, Silver Beach Pizza is at the station! Of course I always let the conductors know of my plans and shared with them.

I suspect people could have food delivered to the train at my home station. Though there signs that say only ticked passengers..., I go up to the platform without a ticket. And there are some food places nearby that could send someone on foot to deliver - parking would be too much trouble.

I'm sure I've read here on AU about at least one persons experience having food delivered.
Yeah, "ticked" passengers only! (kidding) ;) Seriously, here's a thread on the topic from 7 years ago! AmtrakBlue, you even contributed. As for me, I've witnessed pizza deliveries on the EB in Shelby numerous times. I'm just fine with the diner anyway.

http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/index.php?/topic/27902-pizza-delivery-to-train/

I suspect people could have food delivered to the train at my home station. Though there signs that say only ticked passengers..., I go up to the platform without a ticket. And there are some food places nearby that could send someone on foot to deliver - parking would be too much trouble.

I'm sure I've read here on AU about at least one persons experience having food delivered.
Yeah, "ticked" passengers only! (kidding) ;) Seriously, here's a thread on the topic from 7 years ago! AmtrakBlue, you even contributed. As for me, I've witnessed pizza deliveries on the EB in Shelby numerous times. I'm just fine with the diner anyway.

:D Fixed (in my defense.....I was on my phone, still laying in bed on this lazy rain day.... ;) )

I have done it several times in SJM, Silver Beach Pizza is at the station! Of course I always let the conductors know of my plans and shared with them.
So "SJB" is Birmingham? Not intuitive or easy to search out.

Why not abbreviate the pizza place too? "SBP" lol

Why not abbreviate the pizza place too? "SBP" lol
Googleing Amtrak SJM gives you St Joseph MI. Much quicker than typing a reply here.

:D Fixed (in my defense.....I was on my phone, still laying in bed on this lazy rain day.... ;) )
Yeah, probably eating some bon bons, too. Hey, don't feel badly it's snowing here!

In reality it has never been easier or more intuitive to search this out. Where are you getting stuck?

This is excellent. We are making progress. We can order pizza from Silver Beach Pizza when passing through St. Joseph MI aboard the Pere Marquette daily at approx. 915 PM northbound and 816 AM southbound. Good to know.

Incidentally, Silver Beach Pizza receives the second highest rating of 4 1/2 stars on Yelp, which is actually pretty good. Here's a link to the Yelp page: http://www.yelp.com/biz/silver-beach-pizza-saint-joseph

EDIT: Posted hours show SBP opening daily at 11 AM. So southbound PAX would seem to be out of luck.

So "SJB" is Birmingham? Not intuitive or easy to search out.Why not abbreviate the pizza place too? "SBP" lol
At first I thought about spelling out the station stop out, then I remembered that when I first started on this forum I had to learn the station codes. So just man up, you'll be doing yourself a favor in the long run! Whenever I see a station code I don't recognize, I look it up for future reference - sometimes I have to look the same one up several times!
Hmmm, I'd like to insert a few emoticons, but on my iPad I can't turn them on for some reason!

So "SJB" is Birmingham? Not intuitive or easy to search out.Why not abbreviate the pizza place too? "SBP" lol
At first I thought about spelling out the station stop out, then I remembered that when I first started on this forum I had to learn the station codes. So just man up, you'll be doing yourself a favor in the long run! Whenever I see a station code I don't recognize, I look it up for future reference - sometimes I have to look the same one up several times!
Hmmm, I'd like to insert a few emoticons, but on my iPad I can't turn them on for some reason!
*LIKE*

Yeah, probably eating some bon bons, too. Hey, don't feel badly it's snowing here!
Probably delivered to the train!

Back