Question about the Auto Train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ronbo

Lead Service Attendant
I have never been on the Auto Train, and most likely never will be. However, I am curious about something: I know that it is basically a through train with no stops between A and B, as far as picking up or dropping off passengers. But it must stop periodically for the "fresh air" breaks, and crew changes,water stops, etc. correct? How many times and where?

I have never been on the Auto Train, and most likely never will be. However, I am curious about something: I know that it is basically a through train with no stops between A and B, as far as picking up or dropping off passengers. But it must stop periodically for the "fresh air" breaks, and crew changes,water stops, etc. correct? How many times and where?
Once. In, I think, Fayetteville, SC.

It stops at Florence, SC for crew chnge and servicing late at night. That is normally the only stop where passengers can step off.
Well, I thought it started with an F :giggle: And knew someone would correct me.

Hey Ronbo...I did it once and the only "scheduled stop" is Florence, SC. They switch crew, refuel, whatever. I think it's about 950 miles total. Plus, everyone one eats in the diner for "free". Beats driving down I-95 that's for sure.

Hey Ronbo...I did it once and the only "scheduled stop" is Florence, SC. They switch crew, refuel, whatever. I think it's about 950 miles total. Plus, everyone one eats in the diner for "free". Beats driving down I-95 that's for sure.
Must be torturous for those that are smokers. . Hey, are you all packed, ready to start your trip tomorrow? Do you report on your journeys enroute, or when you get there or back? Or not at all?

Last edited by a moderator:
Must be torturous for those that are smokers. . Hey, are you all packed, ready to start your trip tomorrow? Do you report on your journeys enroute, or when you get there or back? Or not at all?
Packed today...took about 2 minutes. Cycle trips made me travel light. Pick up the EB at 5:00pm in little CBS about a 1/2 hour drive. Really pretty exiting WI, and then you cross the Mississippi at LaCrosse and head up the Minnesota side along the river for quite away before heading west to Minneapolis. Lots of bald eagles along the river. Pretty cool. I'll probably just wait until I'm back to report down in the proper section.

Packed today...took about 2 minutes. Cycle trips made me travel light. Pick up the EB at 5:00pm in little CBS about a 1/2 hour drive. Really pretty exiting WI, and then you cross the Mississippi at LaCrosse and head up the Minnesota side along the river for quite away before heading west to Minneapolis. Lots of bald eagles along the river. Pretty cool. I'll probably just wait until I'm back to report down in the proper section.
Have any reports in there from past trips? Have a great and eventful and safe trip!Oh, just one more question: do you ride solo on your trips, or travel with family members? Or friends?

Have any reports in there from past trips? Have a great and eventful and safe trip!Oh, just one more question: do you ride solo on your trips, or travel with family members? Or friends?
Thanks, Ronbo. No, I don't have any reports for past trips on here. You must remember that I just learned how to post a link. I think I have that "imgur" site figured out, so I will post some pics upon return. I'm strictly a solo guy on my cycle trips. I love the solitude and time to think. Plus, I can drink more at bars at the end of the day. However, about 15 years ago my wife and kid approached me and said..."Hey, Dad...we want to go out West in the car with you and follow your exact routes." Worked out great, and of course I didn't show them exactly everything. I also avoid all the big bike rallies like Sturgis. I just never understood the attraction.

Thanks, Ronbo. No, I don't have any reports for past trips on here. You must remember that I just learned how to post a link. I think I have that "imgur" site figured out, so I will post some pics upon return. I'm strictly a solo guy on my cycle trips. I love the solitude and time to think. Plus, I can drink more at bars at the end of the day. However, about 15 years ago my wife and kid approached me and said..."Hey, Dad...we want to go out West in the car with you and follow your exact routes." Worked out great, and of course I didn't show them exactly everything. I also avoid all the big bike rallies like Sturgis. I just never understood the attraction.
Actually, when I said ride, I was referring to your train rides. Should have been more specific, my bad.

Fayetteville has been part of NC since 1783. The original Auto Train company did move the city to SC when the service was started so that there would be a shorter distance from Lorton to the smoking stop. However, Amtrak moved it back after it took over the service because its conductors knew their geography and were inadvertently blurting out "Smoking stop in Fayetteville, NC" and too many people got suspicious. A few even learned it in their geography classes.

Fayetteville has been part of NC since 1783. The original Auto Train company did move the city to SC when the service was started so that there would be a shorter distance from Lorton to the smoking stop. However, Amtrak moved it back after it took over the service because its conductors knew their geography and were inadvertently blurting out "Smoking stop in Fayetteville, NC" and too many people got suspicious. A few even learned it in their geography classes.
Yeah, I didn't do too well with that, did I. Let's put it this way. I knew the city started with an F and I knew the stop was in SC. Ok. ;)

To be clear: Florence, SC. Not Fayetteville, NC.

Somebody is always upset when a move to the opposite State is suggested. Not sure whether that's because no State wants to lose its cities, or because the other State doesn't want to accept the "gift". Interpret it any way you like.

Tom

Actually, when I said ride, I was referring to your train rides. Should have been more specific, my bad.
No sweat....most train rides are solo as my wife still works to support me. I did take her on a surprise CONO trip awhile back. Also, my daughter went to Lewis&Clark in PDX and the two of us would ride out together.

To be clear: Florence, SC. Not Fayetteville, NC.

Somebody is always upset when a move to the opposite State is suggested. Not sure whether that's because no State wants to lose its cities, or because the other State doesn't want to accept the "gift". Interpret it any way you like.

Tom
Or because it was April 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back