TX, LA Consider Closing I-10; Flood delays?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am more curious about the rail infrastructure in the area than my personal trip being impacted. How well protected are the tracks and bridges in this area? News is saying it is the worst flooding in the area since 1989. Were there any tracks closed back then?

They have announced I-10 is closing and they are routing people to Shreveport to get from HOU to NOL. That is a very long detour.

Last edited by a moderator:
If there closing interstate highways, then the railroad tracks are also having issues. The question is how fast can they return to service. If any bridges are damaged, how much the moving water will wash away the ballast. It's going to be a mess. This area is not know for its high ground.

I-10 between Houston and New Orleans ( a Spur goes into NOL) and Florida is VERY Busy 24/7 with 18 Wheelers and Regular vehicle traffic. As was said, a detour via Shreveport ( I-20 from Dallas) is a Looooong Haul and the traffic should be horrible.

If the Highways through the Swamps and Bayous are closed, the Rails will also be effected, especially the trestles and Bridges which aren't that much above water level in Louisiana and East Texas.

Amtrak #1 mostly follows the Old SP Route into NOL from HOS which basically follows the US 90 Route through the Swamps in Southern Louisiana once it leaves Lake Charles.

The Sunset Limited is turning in Houston today due to said situation further east.

I have a reservation to take the SL from NOLA to LA on 3/19 and just received word that they will be taking us from NOLA to San Antonio by bus! Does this mean I can't find my way to Houston and get on the train there? I called the reservationist and he said there was no train in Houston, which the previous comment in this thread makes me think is a lie.

In situations like this they usually turn the train in San Antonio. The train that's about to leave Houston today 1(16) was turned in Houston from 2(13) because it had already left San Antonio when the river continued to rise and endanger the rail line over the Sabine river. Today's eastbound train, 2(16), leaving LAX tonight, will only go as far as San Antonio.

Forecasters are still predicting the Sabine will crest sometime this weekend. Still might take a few days to inspect and possibly make repairs before the SL is back to normal.

I have a reservation to take the SL from NOLA to LA on 3/19 and just received word that they will be taking us from NOLA to San Antonio by bus!
Does this mean they will bus you by way of Shreveport? OMG.

I was thinking maybe they were detouring the trucks to Interstate routes. But a look at the map show three small highways crossing the Sabine below the large Toledo Bend Reservoir, and two crossing the lake. All of those could be out of order due to the flooding. And by the next bridge north you're almost to Shreveport anyway.

Better pack a picnic basket for a loooong bus ride. :(

The Texas DOT is showing a map on local media that has traffic detoured on US59 from Houston to Shrevport, then thru Louisiana to Lafayette and then on down to NOL.

As has been said, a Looooong time on the Road!

I checked the website today and did not see a service disruption listed for the SL even though it is turning in SAS. They are saying I-10 is going to remain closed at least until Sunday.

Once the waters receed how long will it take to reopen the tracks? Imagine it will take a while to inspect everything.

One of my parlor car mates from 11 yesterday received a call going through Vandenberg that his trip to New Orleans on 2 was being terminated at San Antonio, with no alternate transportation, and to call Amtrak.

For people who are familiar with this area and this kind of thing:

What's the likelihood this (track repairs/recovery) carries on into mid-April?

First the water has to go down. Then a airplane will patrol the track looking for major issues. Then ground teams will start from both ends. First inspection and then repairs.

If all the bridges are intact and pass inspection, and there is no major wash outs. Then days, if problems weeks, if major issues then months.

The railroads are stage equipment and supplies, with personal waiting by there phones.

The water needs to go down first.

The Railroad are well practice in service recover. Flooding, mudslides or train derailment, they seen it before, and they have a plan.

☑️

As CN did rapid work to replace the burned out spillway bridge so will the freight railroad that owns these rails. Why? They are losing money until the "freight" goes through. So I am only guessing but expect rails in that area will be back in service by early April if not before.

Amtrak #1 mostly follows the Old SP Route into NOL from HOS which basically follows the US 90 Route through the Swamps in Southern Louisiana once it leaves Lake Charles.
West of Iowa (east of Lake Charles) this line is owned by UP. East of there it is BNSF's Lafayette Subdivision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back