Chicago 4 hour layover ~ where to eat?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

user 6862

Engineer
We arrive on the Lake Shore Limited and leave on the Empire Builder the same day, it gives us a 4 hour layover. Last year before catching the CZ we had a morning in CHI and went along on recommendations here to Lou Mitchell's, wonderful.

We are tempted to go back but do like to try something different, this will be for brunch/lunch. Rather than stay in the station we'd prefer to walk to somewhere nearby that has as much character and good food as LM, does such a place exist?

Thanks

I've been to Giordano's (couple blocks from the station) and Greek Islands (about 1/2 mile from the station). Both were very good. I'm sure lots of people will have suggestions on other places.

If you like Hot Dogs and/or Italian Beef and want a change of pace from Gold Coast Dogs in the station, Al's Italian Beef at the corner of Adams and Jefferson (1 block north of Lou Mitchell's) is a great choice.

I second the recommendation for Greek Islands. For those who prefer Greek food, I especially recommend Greek Islands over The Parthenon. The Parthenon wasn't bad, but the Greek Islands beats it.

A more low-brow joint is Luke's Italian Beef. According to Google Maps, it's just east of Giordano's, on the south side of Jackson. For anyone as unfamiliar with Chicago as I once was, that puts it a couple of blocks east of Union Station on the street immediately south of Union Station.

On a sudden change of topic (and I'll probably start its own thread), Google Maps no longer identifies Chicago Union Station.

All good suggestions but for "off the beaten path" places to eat close to Union Station, I suggest the Food Court the Willis( Sears Tower), there are a couple of excellent cafeteria style places there including really good Italian,French,Mexican and Sushi places.

Another one close by is the Cafe in the Chicago Board of Trade.

Sorry I can't remember the names, but they have excellent food and are reasonable for Big City places in Name Buildings. Try to get there by 1130am to beat the Lunch Rush. Highly recommended!

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't think of any place in Chicago that has as much personality as Lou Mithcells.

It's a long walk (short taxi ride) but Uno's Pizza is the "original" chicago pizza. It was started in an hold house, and the personality of the building is really great.

Very nice to hear from someone willing to shake off Lou Mitchell's in favor of something with character and good food.

I would recommend Mughal India, 560 W. Van Buren, which is exactly one block south of Lou Mitchell's. Indian Halal food with lots of character and a lunch buffet M-F, all you can eat, $11.95 (I think).

Check out this photo and others on Yelp, http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/mughal-india-chicago?select=kOT6UyXGGFkNVuZ2-pGxMA

All good suggestions but for "off the beaten path" places to eat close to Union Station, I suggest the Food Court the Willis( Sears Tower), there are a couple of excellent cafeteria style places there including really good Italian,French,Mexican and Sushi places.

Another one close by is the Cafe in the Chicago Board of Trade.

Sorry I can't remember the names, but they have excellent food and are reasonable for Big City places in Name Buildings. Try to get there by 1130am to beat the Lunch Rush. Highly recommended!
Ceres Cafe, which takes its name from Ceres, the goddess depicted in the statue at the top of the building. (Ceres is the Roman goddess of agriculture and grain crops.)

http://www.cerescafechicago.com/

I second (third?) the recommendations to head toward Greektown. I love that neighborhood. I also recommend Little Italy, which bumps up to Greektown. You could even head down to Chinatown, but that might be stretching your layover.

Pierogi Heaven (really good Polish food). I'm not sure I'd chalk it up as a place with "character", though. I assume by "character" you mean something that feels like an old, local diner with lots of history, right?

The Berghoff isn't a diner, per se, but it's one of the oldest restaurants in Chicago and has incredible food. (http://www.berghoff.com/)

The Billy Goat Tavern on Lower Michigan, not the one on Navy Pier. (http://www.billygoattavern.com/)

White Palace Grill! :) (http://www.whitepalacegrill.com/)

We arrive on the Lake Shore Limited and leave on the Empire Builder the same day, it gives us a 4 hour layover. Last year before catching the CZ we had a morning in CHI and went along on recommendations here to Lou Mitchell's, wonderful.

We are tempted to go back but do like to try something different, this will be for brunch/lunch. Rather than stay in the station we'd prefer to walk to somewhere nearby that has as much character and good food as LM, does such a place exist?

Thanks
Sarah mentioned Chinatown. The best restaurant in Chinatown is Lao Sze Chuan and the best item on their menu is Tony's Chicken with Three Chili's, A.K.A. Crack Chicken. One bite of this spicy chicken heaven and your are hooked...jonesing for your next fix! It is really good and full of character, but vastly different than Lou Mitchells. As luck would have it, you don't even need to head to Chinatown. Water taxi up to Michigan Ave. and a short walk to 520 North Michigan and you are there. You can call ahead to make sure they are open Ph. # 312-818-8099. Of course, there are other quality items on the menu. Good luck and happy eating!

Chicago 2013 025.JPG

Chicago 2013 026.JPG

Chicago 2013 027.JPG

Pierogi Heaven is a take out place with a few tables. The menu is on a sign over the counter and you order at the counter. There are no waiters. There's a limited menu of pierogis (and a few other things), served from steam tables on paper plates and cups. There's no place to wash your hands and no WC. Some might call that character, others might disagree. One thing is for sure, the pierogis are top notch. The venue is not imho.

The only problem with Chinese is no matter how much you eat, you'll be hungry by the time you get back to the Station :)
Where I live "Chinese" food consists of fatty all-meat dishes with a side order of dense starch that feels like it'll take days to digest.
San Antonio consistently wins the "Fattest City in the US Award" Chris.

You need to cruise up I-35 to Austin to get Great Asian Food!

The only problem with Chinese is no matter how much you eat, you'll be hungry by the time you get back to the Station :)
Where I live "Chinese" food consists of fatty all-meat dishes with a side order of dense starch that feels like it'll take days to digest.
San Antonio consistently wins the "Fattest City in the US Award" Chris.

You need to cruise up I-35 to Austin to get Great Asian Food!
I've been to Sunflower Vietnamese and really enjoyed it. What else ya got?

Too bad Ina's is closed:

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2013/08/29/breakfast-queen-ina-pinkney-retiring-closing-west-loop-restaurant/

You don't find delis in Chicago like you do in New York. But, for a noted Italian deli and sandwich shop, take a walk a little further to Bari:

http://www.bariitaliansubs.com

There are also some other delis and restaurants on Grand in that area.

In the other direction, Miller's Pub, on Wabash, practically under the L tracks is a classic Chicago institution which always seems to get bypassed in these listings, for some reason.

Of course, you could always have lunch at the Walnut Room in Macy's/Marshall Field's.

Yep, food is quite a popular topic!

It may be too far for you, but you can get a (151?) bus from the station to Michigan Ave, very near the Chicago cloud gate sculpture, worth a quick look in itself.

The place I went to is a little quirky, sort of middle eastern eatery. You enter through a jewellery shop, and towards the back is this cafe. Very popular with locals.

I can't remember the name of it, but it is easy to find, on N.Wabash, near corner with E. Washington.

If you are interested I can pin it down further.

I found it fun to eat tasty food alongside busy office workers while eyeing up the glittering jewels and the bearded jewel merchants!

Ed. :cool:

That sounds like our type of place Ed, but too far probably.

The 4 hour layover is only that long if the LSL arrives dead on time. Allowing an hour to be in the lounge before departure and we are down to 3 hours if all goes well and why rush an interesting or delicious meal? As there are so many good eating places in Chicago we'll just have to go back again, this will be our third visit already and have always enjoyed being there, good atmosphere and big city feel.

Thanks

Yep, food is quite a popular topic!
And the level of chic seems to vary quite a bit in the recommendations. I've eaten at the Berghoff, and I don't regret it, but I'll probably not be back. I thought I was paying a bit more for the name and atmosphere than I'd prefer. More importantly, there are so many other places!

The place I went to is a little quirky, sort of middle eastern eatery. You enter through a jewellery shop, and towards the back is this cafe. Very popular with locals.

I can't remember the name of it, but it is easy to find, on N.Wabash, near corner with E. Washington.
Would that be the Oasis Café, just south of the southeast corner of Wabash and Washington? How did you hear about it? As I said, there are so many places, and I doubt if I ever would have stumbled on this one if you hadn't mentioned it.

I've been to Sunflower Vietnamese and really enjoyed it. What else ya got?
Austin is loaded with Asian places but for authentic stuff North Lamar has Shopping Centers devoted to Asian food and businesses, ( Chinese, Korean,Thai etc.) Hong Kong Center, look for the Pogoda @ the entrance, is the largest, I especially like the several Pho places there)) and if you like Thai, "Taytayas" close to the DPS Hdqs., is very good, very popular and reasonable.

Stay away from the Downtown places, they're overhyped, overcrowded and overpriced! I notice that in the North Lamar joints I'm usually one of the few non-Asians which to me is a recommendation! ( When in Rome etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back