Jan 2016 NEC/East Blizzard (was How does Amtrak handle snowstorms?)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMG_4823.gif

Sad we're missing our annual Meteor trip to Florida. But, when all is said and done, I hope people in the path of this storm get through without TOO much pain and disruption. (And we'll still be returning via the Meteor at the end of Feb. )

Am I correct that the Pennsylvanian is still running? Looks like it! This bolsters my view that the areas which get very heavy snow routinely can handle this better than the areas which don't.

I guess given the cancellations, Amtrak only has to push two trains through the Keystone Corridor (no SEPTA, either) and they think they can do that even with 27 inches of snow.

Wise to shut down the trains heading south of WAS. I suspect most of the engineers and conductors won't even be able to report in (gone are the days when they lived in housing in the station).

Wise to shut down the trains heading south of WAS. I suspect most of the engineers and conductors won't even be able to report in (gone are the days when they lived in housing in the station).
There are hotels near stations. A lot of Engineers and Conductors don't want to miss work. No work, no pay. If Amtrak has work for them Amtrak gets them hotel rooms. Also many have four wheel drive vehicles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

660 for SUNDAY is showing as "SOLD OUT". Mentioned trains on Saturday are showing as cancelled. So I wonder what's up? I have a ticket for 660 for Sunday to PHL and I have yet to receive any communication.

Its becoming increasingly likely that the PHL-NYP corridor will also see up to 2 feet of snow from this storm, with significant blowing/drifting likely as well.This will also effect the entire Keystone route, and I'd imagine that any of the remaining trains along any of the corridor from Newport News through NYP to even potentially New Haven will be experiencing delays.

Here's the latest snowfall forecast, which has new snowfall from 8PM through about midnight tomorrow night.

ndfd_snow_neng_5.png

It may not be pretty, but if any trains are running it will likely be better than traveling by plane or bus!

660 for SUNDAY is showing as "SOLD OUT". Mentioned trains on Saturday are showing as cancelled. So I wonder what's up? I have a ticket for 660 for Sunday to PHL and I have yet to receive any communication.

59659520.jpg

:ph34r:

Keep an eye on the website for Sunday's operating plan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was booked to come back from BOS tomorrow on 2253.. Major audible called.. Came back to Philly on 175 Friday. Got on the Short Kill and it was just starting to get bad. 422 was awful. I'm glad I'm home safe.

Was booked to come back from BOS tomorrow on 2253.. Major audible called.. Came back to Philly on 175 Friday. Got on the Short Kill and it was just starting to get bad. 422 was awful. I'm glad I'm home safe.
I thought it was the "sure kill" freeway ..........Does anyone know why the Amtrak tracking page made by a member in this site is not working?

I thought it was the "sure kill" freeway ..........Does anyone know why the Amtrak tracking page made by a member in this site is not working?
If you mean <http://dixielandsoftware.net> it works for me now. But there's so many cancels and disruptions -- who knows? John B does his best which is pretty good, but with the current many cancels - who can tell?

Does anyone know why the Amtrak tracking page made by a member in this site is not working?
Possibly because Amtrak's "Track a Train" page is showing data from 2 days ago, mixed in with current data.

Does anyone know why the Amtrak tracking page made by a member in this site is not working?
Possibly because Amtrak's "Track a Train" page is showing data from 2 days ago, mixed in with current data.
Amtrak's "Track-A-Train" and the "Better Track-A-Train" use the same data source, which comes from Amtrak. In recent days Amtrak hasn't been updating the data properly, so that took them both down. Fortunately, Better Track-A-Train seems to be working this morning (1/23/2016).

jb

If you mean <http://dixielandsoftware.net> it works for me now. But there's so many cancels and disruptions -- who knows? John B does his best which is pretty good, but with the current many cancels - who can tell?
For statusmaps.com, aka dixielandsoftware, the detection and presentation of the cancellations and service disruptions is more or less automatic. All I have to do is deal with Amtrak's inconsistencies in the matter.

jb

Do you guys think today's westbound Lake Shore Limited out of NYP (#49) may be canceled? (How well are trains running along the empire corridor and tri-state area today?)

And then, IF it is canceled, would that prevent tomorrow night's eastbound #48 from running, due to the lack of the equipment/cars in Chicago?

I'm asking because my folks are on tomorrow night's eastbound 48 from Chicago-NYP and we are all wondering what will happen...

I think if today's #49 gets north of Croton-Harmon, it should be okay. Snow amounts decrease the further north of NYC you go. There's no snow at all on the radar across the I-90 corridor right now.

Today's 49(23) already departed Croton-Harmon and is moving north at 77.6mph. Looks like it will survive the journey west tonight.

There have been some 1-2 hour delays from NYP and south, but nothing to terrible. It's probably a hell of a lot quicker than traveling on I-95. Some areas near Baltimore/Philly approaching 30" from this storm.

How is ridership for fri and sat?
I was on 173 yesterday and it was truly the emptiest I have ever seen a Friday afternoon train. South of Philly it was about ten people total in my car.

So my reservation got cancelled for tomorrow. I cannot do anything online, they are asking me to call about alternative transportation. I just want the voucher/refund. I cancelled my return trip, but cant do the cancelled one online.

I tried calling but obviously they are very busy. WIll I still be able to get the voucher after train departure time since this is an emergency set up?

Just heard on 6abc (Philly) that 42 is delayed - possible engine trouble.

Looks to be 15-20 people at least waiting to board a train from PHL to NYP. 168, I think...but I could be wrong.

I think if today's #49 gets north of Croton-Harmon, it should be okay. Snow amounts decrease the further north of NYC you go. There's no snow at all on the radar across the I-90 corridor right now.

Today's 49(23) already departed Croton-Harmon and is moving north at 77.6mph. Looks like it will survive the journey west tonight.

There have been some 1-2 hour delays from NYP and south, but nothing to terrible. It's probably a hell of a lot quicker than traveling on I-95. Some areas near Baltimore/Philly approaching 30" from this storm.

I know it hasn't arrived in CHI, but it amazes me that 49(23) departed NYP 2 minutes late, has never been more than 10 minutes late (BUF), departed TOL 1 minute late and has been on time ever since. 48 (23) is also having a stellar run.

Freight recession indeed?

I know it hasn't arrived in CHI, but it amazes me that 49(23) departed NYP 2 minutes late, has never been more than 10 minutes late (BUF), departed TOL 1 minute late and has been on time ever since. 48 (23) is also having a stellar run.

I'm actually on 48(23) and its been a very quiet ride. I don't think we've passed more than a few freights from CLE-BUF and we're flying into Rochester now, only down a few minutes. This is all after 48 left Chicago almost a half hour late.
I'm not a train expert but it certainly feels like a freight recession here!

I'm actually on 48(23) and its been a very quiet ride. I don't think we've passed more than a few freights from CLE-BUF and we're flying into Rochester now, only down a few minutes. This is all after 48 left Chicago almost a half hour late.
I'm not a train expert but it certainly feels like a freight recession here!
#49(1/23) was traveling on a weekend which helps. Still, the LSL has been doing fairly well for close to on-time or early arrivals at NYP and CHI over the past several months. Less freight traffic is presumably part of the reason; track work improvements may also be contributing. Whatever the reasons, the LSL OTP is currently much better than the meltdown period in 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back