French Toast Gone or Still There?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tommylicious

OBS Chief
Hi is the french toast still served for breakfast on the LSL? I thought I saw a thread that it had been replaced with pancakes systemwide, but the 5-15 dated menu still shows french toast. Thanks.

Don't know how recent they changed it, but I had French toast on the LSL going through the Indiana countryside in September 2015.

Greg

I've had the Pancakes a time or 2 and they weren't bad. Of course this was on a "straight" Diner where they were prepared fresh and not thawed and dumped into a microwave.

When we were on the Empire Builder, we got to have the french toast. It said pancakes but they had the french toast instead which made us very happy!

Interesting because several menus (that I spot checked) posted on amtrak.com are still dated 0515 with Railroad French Toast! I noticed this during the discussion a couple of months ago discussing "new" menus.

Last edited by a moderator:
Amtrak's website is hit and miss. There's info missing on it relative to the new Business Class service on the Auto Train, as one more example.

I hope they eventually decide to bring back the French Toast, I found it a lot better than the pancakes are.

most pancakes, unless truly home made (or made by a diner that actually does a from-scratch batter) are pretty meh. I don't know why a pancake mix is so much more terrible than when you mix flour, eggs, milk, leavener and maybe sugar together yourself, but it is.

From what I remember, Amtrak did the same thing last year. The menu technically changes every six months, usually May & November, & they had pancakes during the slower half of the year (November-May) and Railroad French Toast during the busier six months. I hope that means that the French Toast will come back this May. In general, it seems like the summer menu has better food items than the winter menu.

Of course, it seems like a lot of dining-related issues have gone downhill, & not posting the new menus seems like part of that trend. So, I don't have my hopes up too much.

It's funny I've always liked the pancakes. But for disclosure sake when I grew up that was breakfast in bed every sunday. One of few things my dad could cook.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi is the french toast still served for breakfast on the LSL? I thought I saw a thread that it had been replaced with pancakes systemwide, but the 5-15 dated menu still shows french toast. Thanks.
I traveled on the LSL in late-December and, again, in early-January. I was Eastbound and the Chef was featuring a special with Railroad French Toast and scrambled eggs. I don't think the SA offered a full plate of French Toast. Yes, they had those less than savory pancakes on on the Westbound. Frankly, I just drank the orange Juice and sipped coffee...day dreaming about Lou Mitchell's melt-a-way banana pancakes!

111.JPG

Which I did get....so good!

Is that real maple syrup in the green-ish jug?
The jug states "Our own special blend", so I think it's real syrup...just not pure maple syrup. My taste buds tell me it's better than Mrs. Butterworth's syrup, just not as good as Cary's premium 100% grade A maple syrup. Perhaps someone with a specialized, dare I say "insider", knowledge can further develop this topic and tell all of us what is in that 32 oz. Gray-green jug?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back