Empire Builder-Gravel Truck Collide in North Dakota

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Agent

Conductor
The westbound Empire Builder collided with a gravel truck east of Granville, North Dakota today. The truck driver was taken to the hospital with minor injuries. The article also reports that this train #7(22) needed two new locomotives to get back in service.

Around 8AM PST down 17+ hrs out of Havre. Spent 10 hrs parked near Minot. If it's running under BNSF power, it will just get later. Plans? Not a whole lot of fun for anyone.

The frequency of grade crossing accidents in recent times is most disturbing and unnecessary. More driver education? That still does not weed out idiots who take thoughtless chances.

According to Operation Lifesaver, the number of grade crossing collisions, injuries, and fatalities has declined significantly between 1981 and 2014: http://oli.org/about-us/news/collisions-casulties (although perhaps the decline has slowed or bottomed out in the last few years). In 1981 there were over 9,400 collisions and in 2014 there were just under 2,300.

More broadly, society does not seem to want to hold drivers responsible for their actions (unless they are drunk) - witness the serious pushback to automated/camera enforcement of traffic laws/regulations, or other attempts to improve safety and reduce street violence.

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course, the raw number of total collisions is only part of the equation. A truer stat, though perhaps impossible to determine, would be number of collisions per total number of train miles. I wonder how 1981 compares to 2014 by that yardstick?

But even 2300 collisions is an astounding figure. That means that on average, a train and vehicle collide more than six times every single day in this country. I'll grant you that the majority of these seem to be non-injury incidents, but the inconvenience and cost is still there regardless of whether someone gets hurt.

And I assume this figure does not include collisions involving light-rail trains? The link doesn't specify.

I agree that the raw number only shows a portion of the picture. How have train-miles changed between 1981 and 2014? And perhaps vehicle-miles too? And I imagine there are quite a bit fewer total crossings now, given the effort to slowly close crossings.

I would assume this figure does not include light rail (or heavy rail) - not positive, but just guessing that those collisions would be reported/compiled by FTA, not FRA (just a guess, though). I would assume this includes freight rail, Amtrak/intercity passenger rail, and commuter rail.

Around 8AM PST down 17+ hrs out of Havre. Spent 10 hrs parked near Minot. If it's running under BNSF power, it will just get later. Plans? Not a whole lot of fun for anyone.
#7 (22) is now MIA on the good (non-Amtrak) tracking map. Any news? Did they pack the #7(22) pax aboard #7(23)?

#7 (22) is now MIA on the good (non-Amtrak) tracking map. Any news? Did they pack the #7(22) pax aboard #7(23)?
It is about 19 hours and change late out of Libby.

#7(22) is currently showing on the Amtrak Track A Train map, but with no schedule information. #7(23) is not far behind. #8(24) and #28(24) are showing service disruptions since they are lacking trainsets to send eastward.
Could Amtrak be busing the passengers from Seattle and Portland to meet and turn around the extremely delayed #7(22) in Spokane?

This rash of grade crossing collisions with trucks and cars is not only taking a lot of P-42s out of action, it is resulting in a number of really late trains.

#7(22) is currently showing on the Amtrak Track A Train map, but with no schedule information. #7(23) is not far behind. #8(24) and #28(24) are showing service disruptions since they are lacking trainsets to send eastward.
Could Amtrak be busing the passengers from Seattle and Portland to meet and turn around the extremely delayed #7(22) in Spokane?

This rash of grade crossing collisions with trucks and cars is not only taking a lot of P-42s out of action, it is resulting in a number of really late trains.
It is very likely that passengers from Portland and Seattle were bussed to Spokane with the EB turned there. At the same time the EB was to leave both cities, the westbound EB was still in Western Montana. Not likely it was going to make up the time! :p :lol:

The extremely delayed #7(22) was turned around at Spokane to become #8(24). Shows up departing Sandpoint, ID one hour and 15 minutes late. Wonder what locomotives #8(24) is running with and whether one was added at Spokane?

The gravel truck driver really messed things up for passengers for days on the EB route besides putting a P-42 out of service.

The gravel truck driver really messed things up for passengers for days on the EB route besides putting a P-42 out of service.
The two P-42s taken out by this grade crossing collision are still sitting in Minot. They don't look so bad, but I was told by local station people that the gravel load completely trashed both locomotives.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back