LA Hotel

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sauve850

OBS Chief
I am planning a late August trip from Seattle to Chicago which gives me an overnight in Los Angeles. I know there is a hotel near the LA station and I looked at it. Its ok I suppose. Since I have the whole next day to explore before catching the Chief are there other options in interesting neighborhoods? Things to explore etc. I'm not on a budget so open to anything. Thanks.

It's the Metro Plaza Hotel, and its across the street from Union Station. Nothing fancy, but clean and safe and very convenient!, The famous Philipes is up the street a block away for a great reasonable Breakfast or a famous Dip Sandwich and Deli Meal Lunch.

You can get a day pass and ride the Red Line to Hollywood, sight see for Free, and on the way back get off in Pershing Square and walk around admiring the mix of the New and Old downtown LA!Fascinating contrast! ( I'd only do this in daylight, not after dark!)

Chinatown and Olvera Street, the original site of LA, surround Union Station and the Metro Plaza, that's Free sight seeing too!

It's the Metro Plaza Hotel, and its across the street from Union Station. Nothing fancy, but clean and safe and very convenient!, The famous Philipes is up the street a block away for a great reasonable Breakfast or a famous Dip Sandwich and Deli Meal Lunch.

You can get a day pass and ride the Red Line to Hollywood, sight see for Free, and on the way back get off in Pershing Square and walk around admiring the mix of the New and Old downtown LA!Fascinating contrast! ( I'd only do this in daylight, not after dark!)

Chinatown and Olvera Street, the original site of LA, surround Union Station and the Metro Plaza, that's Free sight seeing too!
agree. that is exactly what we do. visits to grand central market and little tokyo, both walking distance for us, are also fun

You can walk to the Doubletree in Little Tokyo, or it is a minimum fare Uber/Lyft ride, if you want something higher end.

I have stayed at the Sheraton in downtown Pasadena, which is easily accessible from Union Station via the Metro Gold Line to the Del Mar station, and I have stayed at the Biltmore in downtown LA, which is two stops away from Union Station on the Red Line or Purple Line (Pershing Square station). Or it would be a brief cab ride to the Biltmore. The Sheraton was nice but not extraordinary but had a large room, and Pasadena was kind of nice to walk around. The Biltmore is a grand old hotel with very interesting public spaces but the room was on the smallish side.

I got good rates at both by using Priceline.com.

The next time I am overnighting in Los Angeles I think I will try the Hilton Checkers, a more boutique-y hotel across the street from the Biltmore.

Check out the hotels around Burbank Amtrak/airport. There are several with free airport shuttles, and a couple within walking distance. It's only a few minutes via Metrolink or Surfliner from LA Union Station. The last time I booked a stay there, I got a room at the airport Marriott for less than the Metro Plaza (it was weekend night and off season). Depending on what you're doing, it might even be closer to where you want to be.

I have stayed at the Biltmore, which is grand and the rooms are rather old fashioned, but I have had spacious rooms there. I can also recommend the Omni, one Red Line stop from Union Station and one block from Disney Hall.

Not on a budget...never thought I would say this but I took two tours of the star houses etc.Another tour all around the city.Not on the same train trip but I had fun.I stayed in Chinatown on the Red Line I think.

I don't remember the tour line but this was top of the list in a quick search.I thought it would be dumb and wanna hide my face and not tell anybody but I was wrong.http://lacitytours.com/?gclid=CMjw9unO98kCFQEaaQodEVcKmQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back