Amtrak Autumn Express 2015 (Oct 24 & Oct 25)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's by the Medical Center, not terribly far. Again, I do recommend a swing by the Slater. Enjoy the trip, wish I could be there, but my sister is flying in from Phoenix for a visit, not sure if she would understand my tossing her a set of housekeys on my way out the door.

I notice that Wi-Fi is available, as well as a snack car. One snack car, or two, I don't know. Seems that only one would be insufficient.

The coffee shop at the South end of the station is ok, but I don't know their weekend opening time, or if anyone was smart enough to tell them of the event so they have sufficient staff and provisions. I could see a hundred people on line and one little old lady having a stroke.

I think I'll look for an IHOP or a Perkins and avoid that situation.... ;)

It'll be interesting to see if these trains actually sell out. I suspect that even though the consist is smaller this year, Sunday will have seats available.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tend to agree with Thirdrail...if nothing else, the Philly-based trips allowed a same-day trip from pretty much all of NEC-South. This time...does the Maple Leaf even connect safely to this?

It'll be interesting to see if these trains actually sell out. I suspect that even though the consist is smaller this year, Sunday will have seats available.
It seems like the PR on this year's trip is less than previous years. If you went to Amtrak.com you wouldn't even know the AXP is running. It's somewhat buried under Deals > See All Deals. Yet, the promotional page looks good. Maybe it's on the front page but I'm not finding it.

And Philly being much larger than Albany, will draw more local 'leaf-peeper's'......

I managed to fix an inadvertent error that had me book the trip out of SDY. An AGR agent was happy to modify that to an ALB departure and I just got the updated e-tciket.

And yeah, it does say 5:50pm arrival now.

Railiner, there's decent and free parking right at the Albany station.
To my knowledge, the last time I parked at Albany (about 2 years ago) parking was a few bucks a day, a bit less expensive in a remote lot vs. the deck by the station. Years ago, at the old Albany/Renssalear station parking was free. Progress, you know...
Thanks for that update. I haven't been there in about 4 or 5 years, and I'm not surprised they're charging.
They've been charging ever since the new station was built, 13 years ago.

Free parking for 2 hours on the deck outside the station.

In the garage is like $12/day.

The lots right outside the station are I believe $8 and the far lot I believe is $6/day.

Railiner, there's decent and free parking right at the Albany station.
To my knowledge, the last time I parked at Albany (about 2 years ago) parking was a few bucks a day, a bit less expensive in a remote lot vs. the deck by the station. Years ago, at the old Albany/Renssalear station parking was free. Progress, you know...
Thanks for that update. I haven't been there in about 4 or 5 years, and I'm not surprised they're charging.
They've been charging ever since the new station was built, 13 years ago.
Free parking for 2 hours on the deck outside the station.

In the garage is like $12/day.

The lots right outside the station are I believe $8 and the far lot I believe is $6/day.
Which explains it: I parked in the short-term lot to pick someone up a couple of times. I didn't even know there was a pay parking lot, LOL!

I'm not going to lie, I'm very very disappointed that this autumn express leaves before the first scheduled train from NYP can even arrive at Albany. That seems a little counter productive to me.

I live in NYC, I don't have a car. I might change my mind, but right now I don't have a desire to spend $300+ on this trip. Last year, leaving from a densely travelled rail station was perfect. Amtrak could have at least had the departure AFTER there was an arrival. They'd even make more money for themselves.

I'm not going to lie, I'm very very disappointed that this autumn express leaves before the first scheduled train from NYP can even arrive at Albany. That seems a little counter productive to me.

I live in NYC, I don't have a car. I might change my mind, but right now I don't have a desire to spend $300+ on this trip. Last year, leaving from a densely travelled rail station was perfect. Amtrak could have at least had the departure AFTER there was an arrival. They'd even make more money for themselves.
Send them an email via Amtrak.com and ask that it be forwarded to Autumn Express planning. They do listen to the feedback and you have legitimate points. Unfortunately darkness falls so soon in October and I'd like to see this trip run in September instead.

Send them an email via Amtrak.com and ask that it be forwarded to Autumn Express planning. They do listen to the feedback and you have legitimate points. Unfortunately darkness falls so soon in October and I'd like to see this trip run in September instead.
When the idea of an Autumn Express for 2015 was floated, there were multiple trips explored. Most did not come to fruition for various reasons. That being said, the trips operate with certain things in mind including but not limited to host railroad cooperation, crew availability, equipment availability and the means to service it.

While it may seem like a no-brainer to operate it after connecting trains have a chance to arrive, what does that do to the rest of the trip? Perhaps the host railroad stated that things need to wrapped up by a certain time. Perhaps ALB stated that if the equipment arrives back in the evening after a certain hour, they will have difficulty servicing it due to conflicts with revenue trains. Perhaps the pilots of the route need to be finished by a certain time or the host railroad won't offer them.

There are so many scenarios and variables. Look at the impact of the lower corridor. To support this train and another special, the Acela sets are being pressed into additional duty, which reduces maintenance windows. Trains are skipping scheduled stops while other trains are making additional stops.

It takes a lot of coordination and effort to make these trips and sometimes not everyone will be accommodated. I am glad people are considering hotels and alternate means to take this trip. It makes it worthwhile.

When the idea of an Autumn Express for 2015 was floated, there were multiple trips explored. Most did not come to fruition for various reasons. That being said, the trips operate with certain things in mind including but not limited to host railroad cooperation, crew availability, equipment availability and the means to service it.

While it may seem like a no-brainer to operate it after connecting trains have a chance to arrive, what does that do to the rest of the trip? Perhaps the host railroad stated that things need to wrapped up by a certain time. Perhaps ALB stated that if the equipment arrives back in the evening after a certain hour, they will have difficulty servicing it due to conflicts with revenue trains. Perhaps the pilots of the route need to be finished by a certain time or the host railroad won't offer them.

There are so many scenarios and variables. Look at the impact of the lower corridor. To support this train and another special, the Acela sets are being pressed into additional duty, which reduces maintenance windows. Trains are skipping scheduled stops while other trains are making additional stops.

It takes a lot of coordination and effort to make these trips and sometimes not everyone will be accommodated. I am glad people are considering hotels and alternate means to take this trip. It makes it worthwhile.
All of these possible explanations may be pertinent to the reasoning behind the schedule for this year's Autumn Excursion. It is good that the train should arrive back in Albany in time for those of us who live in the Midwest to catch the LSL 49 on Saturday evening as well as the Maple Leaf back to New York City for those passengers. This route has an interesting combination of great railroad history, scenic views, and the Hoosac Tunnel which should provide a great Amtrak ride for the day.

It would seem that those who did not wish to stay overnight in Albany could rent a car and drive up from the New York City area to Albany early on Saturday to make the train as well. Thanks to Amtrak for providing this opportunity.

Jog my memory again.... one does earn AGR points for the fare paid for the Autumn Special right? If that is the case I will make Select+ with 2 points to spare upon completing the ride on the Excursion.

Jog my memory again.... one does earn AGR points for the fare paid for the Autumn Special right? If that is the case I will make Select+ with 2 points to spare upon completing the ride on the Excursion.
According to the ad, points will be awarded for the trip (double points I would expect) but that points could not be redeemed for the trip. Happy Day for those who make Select + or other AGR categories. :)

Running this trip in Sept would not be an Autumn Leaf Express, as New England leaves rarely change color before october

My point is the reduced daylight. AXP doesn't have to coincide with peak fall colors every time, which is a variable itself. I understand Amtrak has restrictions of when this special can run, listed previously.

My point is the reduced daylight. AXP doesn't have to coincide with peak fall colors every time, which is a variable itself. I understand Amtrak has restrictions of when this special can run, listed previously.
But the special does run well within the current daylight hours, no? Sunrise on the 24th is at 7:19am and sunset is at 5:59pm in Albany.

The length of the ride is such that you cannot accommodate both early morning Amtrak arrivals and late afternoon Amtrak departures. They chose to accommodate the late departures both south and west. They sacrificed early morning arrivals to achieve that. This has little to do with sunrise and sunset IMHO.

It's not a question of PEAK fall colors. It is simply that there are NO fall colors in New England in September, period. (Colorado aspen -- yes! I have made visits there myself many times to ride private railroads in the aspen color season.

I do not think that Amtrak is interested in running special trains at any and all time of year. So, I don't see how their managers could promote a special train in New England in September. What would be the attraction for passengers to pay the money to take such a trip?

It's not a question of PEAK fall colors. It is simply that there are NO fall colors in New England in September, period. (Colorado aspen -- yes! I have made visits there myself many times to ride private railroads in the aspen color season.

I do not think that Amtrak is interested in running special trains at any and all time of year. So, I don't see how their managers could promote a special train in New

Isn't much of the allure rare mileage?

I do not think that Amtrak is interested in running special trains at any and all time of year. So, I don't see how their managers could promote a special train in New

Isn't much of the allure rare mileage?
That's the attraction for me, and I would guess, the vast majority of us on AU.....the question is....could Amtrak fill a 'rare mileage excursion' only with railfans?

One way would be to put some rare equipment on the train....vintage locomotives perhaps, or the dome car, or whatever.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back