Southeast Flooding (October 2015) - Weather related cancellations

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks A Voice -

Just saw the official Amtrak announcement.

IF it becomes apparent that the A-line will be out of service for weeks rather than just days, I could envision Amtrak running Auto-Train via the S-line (Silver Star route) on a Tri-Weekly basis so as to not need to do a same day turn with the consist.

I think that combining the Silver Meteor with the Star for the duration of any detour is more likely than detouring the Silver Meteor as a separate train.

Last edited by a moderator:
It has been posted on the Carolina Rails FB page that the Silver Star will be running it's regular consist for now. Not sure what the near-future holds though.

Still no Diner on the Star? Brilliant!
If you change things up now due to some minor weather disruptions, you'll invalidate the entire data set of this "experiment". That would trigger a whole new seven month trial with no diner. :D

I forgot to add that 52/53, 89/90 and 97/98 are now officially canceled through Sunday, 10/11. Tickets sales are open on all trains beginning Monday, 10/12, but I wouldn't make firm travel plans just yet.

From the Amtrak website.

Amtrak Silver Star Service to Resume on Friday Some trains operating between Florida and New York City remain suspendedOct. 8, 2015
3 p.m. ET

Amtrak service on the Silver Star Trains 91 & 92 will resume normal operations on Friday, Oct. 9, after being suspended this week due to severe weather conditions. Service will operate its normal schedule between New York City and Miami, however passengers can anticipate delays.

Service on other Amtrak routes between New York City and Florida will be suspended on Friday, Oct. 9. No alternate transportation will be provided.

Palmetto Trains 89 & 90 (Savannah, Ga. - New York City) is canceled.
Silver Meteor Trains 97 & 98 (New York City - Miami) is canceled.
Auto Train 52 & 53 (Lorton, Va. - Sanford, Fla.) is canceled.

This information is correct as of the above time and date. Information is subject to change as conditions warrant.

Passengers with travel plans can confirm their train's status, change their plans or review refund information using a range of tools – including Amtrak.com, smartphone apps or by calling 800-USA-RAIL. Service Alerts, Passenger Notices and other announcements are posted at Amtrak.com/alerts.

Follow @Amtrak on Twitter.

As of 10/9/15 at 11:15am per Amtrak:

Amtrak Suspension of Some Services Along East Coast Continues Weather conditions impacting train operations between New York City and FloridaOct. 9, 2015
11:15 a.m. ET

Due to weather conditions still impacting railroad operations in the Southeast, Amtrak will suspend some services along the East Coast for Saturday, Oct. 10, and Sunday, Oct. 11. No alternate transportation will be available.

Palmetto Trains 89 & 90 (Savannah, Ga. - New York City) is canceled.

Silver Meteor Trains 97 & 98 (New York City - Miami) is canceled.

Auto Train 52 & 53 (Lorton, Va. - Sanford, Fla.) is canceled.

Service on the Silver Star 91 & 92 is operating its normal schedule between New York City and Miami, but passengers can expect delays.

This information is correct as of the above time and date. Information is subject to change as conditions warrant.

Passengers with travel plans can confirm their train's status, change their plans or review refund information using a range of tools – including Amtrak.com, smartphone apps or by calling 800-USA-RAIL. Service Alerts, Passenger Notices and other announcements are posted at Amtrak.com/alerts.

Follow @Amtrak on Twitter.

Kingstee bridge -- all--time high water record broken by almost 3 ft.

Finally found the flood hydrograph for the Black R. at Kingstree, which I'm assuming is near the bridge that was badly damaged: River crested around midnight Tuesday at 22.65 ft setting a new all time record height. The old record was 19.77 ft set on 06/14/1973, Records go back to at least 1896. Breaking a record that old by that much is very very unsual.

http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=ilm&gage=kins1

Look quickly as the peak is almost out of range on the graph.

Added: Something wrong with the link. It's correct when I try editing but wrong in the post. Just Google "Kingstree gauge"

Any data on the Star's no diner experiment would need to be expunged due to the Meteor not operating and probably for several days afterwards. As well any change of passenger destinations due to not going to flooding locations both routes.

Don't tell Congressional critics how so much more money could be saved by leaving off the locomotive instead of the dining car..... :) :) :)

It may be the normal consist for the Star, but what about some of those Meteor passengers? The Star is sold out for the next few days. Since the Meteor isn't running, it seems like it would make sense to add some cars to the Star.

jb

At CYN, 91(9) had, in order:

engines 3

coach(es) 1

baggage 1

sleepers 2

cafe 1

coaches 3

Looks like they added an extra coach somewhere along the way as an afterthought.

jb

To be fair, I didn't see the train pull in, it came in as we were getting off of the Regional at ALX. Once our train was out of the way, we had this:

Could have been up there and I just missed it.

This will be bad for Amtrak's bottom line in October. These trains are normally profitable-before-overhead; cancellations are going to hurt.

Well, I'm supposed to be boarding the Meteor on Friday the 16th. Based on the information floating around so far, I think it's pretty unlikely that the Meteor will run on its regular route by then.

But I wish someone with inside Amtrak knowledge would comment on whether Amtrak is contemplating attempting to run the Meteor on an alternate route. Even if Amtrak were trying to accomodate Meteor passengers on the Star, that's not really an option for me since my trip (Winterhaven-NYP-CHI-SEA) cannot be accomplished with the Star (unless Amtrak would let me take the no-diner Star a day earlier and layover in NYC).

I understand that Amtrak has absolutely no culpability for the rail damage due to the flooding, but they really need to work on how they communicate to customers when there are problems. Instead, they show availability for Saturday and Sunday and then it changes to "Sold Out" and then "Cancelled" with "no alternate transportation".

All I'm asking is for Amtrak to say if they have an alternate plan for the Meteor or not. Because if they don't, I can be pretty sure that the trip will be a no-go since the host railroads are apparently still waiting to access some of the flooded areas. I'm sure Rail Freak would like to know too, and his trip is a few days later than mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back