Excess Carry-on Baggage Fee Began October 1, 2015

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If anyone experiences any new restrictions with sleeper carry on luggage, please post! I'm flying out to ABQ for a trip , (Oct 22nd) ABQ-LAX-SAS-CHI-WAS-STP, & would really prefer to take one 33" Duffle ,opposed to two 27" bags!

Thanx

RF

That's the problem I see with the new policy. I can easily handle one large (32 inch) bag, but would have much more trouble with two smaller bags. Total weight would be under 50 pounds in either case.

There were lengthy (and scripted) announcements this morning in Seattle's King Street Station about the new baggage rules. The funniest line was "if you can't lift it over your head, it's too heavy." I didn't see much change in actual operations, though.
Ha. Good line.

"Tempest in a tea pot" Yeah.

In all my time riding Amtrak (mostly west LD trains, but some NE and Silvers)

I've seen very very few people with carry-on baggage that exceeds the newly enforced rules.

"what? me worry?"

A never-ever-riding-Amtrak friend posted me this "news" - with a "neener-neener-neener" note attached.

Even with the loose rules enforced, Amtrak carry-on is generous by far, compared to all other transport modes.

(way off-topic but - back in 1984 we rode "der Blaue Enzian" Muenchen-Wien with a couple carrying TWELVE big cases carryon, spilled into the narrow aisles. They shared their sausages and onions, nobody (not even the surly German in our compartment) complained. So what's the problem? You ride the train, you meet strange people -- rarely indeed is there a significant problem -- I just don't get it)

There's some political or sociological problem here that I just dont get. Yeah, enforce the rules, but -- something's wrong here, don;t know what

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got this in my email box this morning. Have a trip coming up in a few days.

6AB7mtg.png

1. I vaguely remember, years and years ago, someone at the BNL Amtrak station (this was the little old station, not the new multimodal) being told their bag was too heavy (I think it was one they were trying to check) and to reduce the amount of stuff. (The person threw a hissy. It WAS a very large bag).

2. I once saw a couple get on the Texas Eagle carrying a tall (like 3 1/2 foot) plastic garbage can full of stuff. Took both of them to lift it on and I wonder where they managed to stow it.

A relative of mine called me up claiming the new policy was "Two bags, only 25 lbs each" which made me growl and go I WILL PAY THE CHARGE THEN. I check online and come to find that this person was wrong - the 25 pound thing would be like for a purse or laptop. So I think I'm still good though I suspect my suitcase approaches 50 pounds on the longer trips. (I can still lift it, not sure I could lift it over my head though! But I have a bum shoulder, so....)

I think that when we all first saw this, we dwelled on all the possible negative implications, the difficulty in implementing, or how a tiny minority might be negatively impacted, but the more I think about it, the baggage limits are pretty reasonable for most people, and since they (unlike most airlines) are not charging for a reasonable amount of stuff, it doesn't seem that bad. If you try to write a policy that doesn't affect anybody at some point, why even have one. You write rules for the vast majority, have reasonable accommodations for those that need it like disabled, and the very small group left over will just have to suck it up. It's a passenger train, not a moving van. Enough already with the ridiculous sense of entitlement that some people have.

I think that when we all first saw this, we dwelled on all the possible negative implications, the difficulty in implementing, or how a tiny minority might be negatively impacted, but the more I think about it, the baggage limits are pretty reasonable for most people, and since they (unlike most airlines) are not charging for a reasonable amount of stuff, it doesn't seem that bad. If you try to write a policy that doesn't affect anybody at some point, why even have one. You write rules for the vast majority, have reasonable accommodations for those that need it like disabled, and the very small group left over will just have to suck it up. It's a passenger train, not a moving van. Enough already with the ridiculous sense of entitlement that some people have.
I understand your point but, I want to take a 33" duffle, which I could take to my roomette. Now,I'll be forced to take 2 pieces of luggage that will take up room in the down stairs rack plus my room.

And that was one of the reasonable points that came up, people like you and myself who use a sleeper, as long as we aren't bothering anyone else to move the bag, or putting in a place where it is a safety hazard, leave us alone. The sleepers are not like the rest of Amtrak, particularly the Suprerliners which have a pretty decent sizes luggage rack.Even airlines that make lots of money charging for bags, have very relaxed rules for premium fare or elite status passengers. And in many cases paid credit card holders get a free bag also.

I agree with the policy. I doubt anyone will get after you with the 33 in duffle. Could also buy one a just a little smaller? Think those of us in sleepers wont have much of an issue. I wont anyway because I couldn't possibly deal with that many bags or that much weight.

I saw a lot of training materials and packets on the Lake Shore Limited this morning.

I was attempting to get a picture but I got a dirty look from a few people so I ended up not getting a photo.

And that was one of the reasonable points that came up, people like you and myself who use a sleeper, as long as we aren't bothering anyone else to move the bag, or putting in a place where it is a safety hazard, leave us alone. The sleepers are not like the rest of Amtrak, particularly the Suprerliners which have a pretty decent sizes luggage rack.Even airlines that make lots of money charging for bags, have very relaxed rules for premium fare or elite status passengers. And in many cases paid credit card holders get a free bag also.
Why are sleepers not like "the rest of Amtrak?" Simply because the space is a bit bigger? For the number of items, it seems difficult for a person to carry on more items in one trip safely than what the current allotment is. If someone is making more than one trip on to try and carry on their luggage, or is taking longer than normal to board because they're trying to carry on a fifth bag, this will increase the dwell time at many stations (particularly unstaffed ones, where the dwell time is very short.) Weight has to be set somewhere, not only for Amtrak staff but potentially for some sort of liability should it fall out of the overhead baggage rack or something. Size I could see being a bit lenient on, but storage space, especially in the Viewliner roomettes, is at a premium, and I'm not sure how big a bag can get before it won't fit in the overhead bin.

The only thing I could see that is mitigated is the dwell time at some longer station stops, but almost all of those already have checked baggage, and the only thing that really helps is the item count. I don't see it being practical to write specific rules for sleepers that is more lenient than the current rules because of that.

The issue is for people boarding at stations without checked baggage, whose bags that fit within the checked limits and don't fit in the carry on limits.

At stations with checked baggage, or for luggage beyond the checked size limits, the fee should definitely be imposed. Maybe even raised.

Which is why I pointed out Superliners specifically, and mentioned not needing assistance. Yes, sleeper passengers are different, they pay more. Whether or not they pay in proportion to costs can be debated, but like it or not in our society people that pay more get more.

That, quite frankly, is bullsh-t. Having the money to pay for a sleeper doesn't make you a superman that can somehow magically carry more bags than the poor peons back in coach. Yes, you get more - a private room, a bed, meals. You don't get to just break the rules, no matter how special it may make you feel being able to pay that extra bit of cash.

Airlines are a poor example, because the limits on baggage are so low.

I'm with Ryan 101%. All this whining and griping about what's already an overly generous baggage policy is absurd. This is Amtrak - not Allied Van Lines - fer pity sake! Sheesh!!

That, quite frankly, is bullsh-t. Having the money to pay for a sleeper doesn't make you a superman that can somehow magically carry more bags than the poor peons back in coach. Yes, you get more - a private room, a bed, meals. You don't get to just break the rules, no matter how special it may make you feel being able to pay that extra bit of cash.

Airlines are a poor example, because the limits on baggage are so low.
Ryan is right.

Unfortunately too many things are getting conflated in this discussion. So let us split things up logically and discuss it. I will use United as an example airline since it covers the world, and is not terribly unsimilar to most other US based airlines. There are some well known exceptions though.

1. Checked baggage: United does give extra free allowance on checked baggage, both in weight and number of pieces, based on class of travel booked and elite status. For example, because of my Platinum Elite status I am allowed upto three checked bags of upto 70lb each free of charge irrespective of class of travel. But note, that this is not the subject of this thread.

For someone traveling using a low fare, with no status and no Explorer or equivalent or better affinity credit card, you get to pay even for the first checked bag.

2. Carry-on bags: AFAICT the same two bag rule applies to everyone irrespective of class of travel or elite status. You are allowed to book an additional seat to carry an extra bulky piece on board occupying a seat apparently, but I have never seen anyone actually do that. I suppose that might be a way to transport your Cello safely. Note that this is the subject of this thread.

Also note that other than booking an additional seat no excess carry-on baggage is allowed. So there is no question of having an excess carry-on charge other than of course booking an additional seat.

3. Gate check: More often than not you don't get charged for a gate checked bag, but technically you could be if it is beyond your free checked bag allowance. You never get charged for a gate checked bag on a Regional flight AFAICT.

A small comment about "breaking the rules", I think it is a legitimate thing to discuss what the rules should be, without being blamed of "breaking the rules". However, if the rules are in place such as they are, I agree you should not get to arbitrarily break them just because you think you are special for whatever reason.

I am sure there are other models used by other airlines and it might we worthwhile bringing those up if they are relevant to this discussion. I would be the last one to claim that what United does is ideal in any way shape or for. It is just an illustrative example.

In the past I've been forced to carry on slightly more than the new official baggage limits (by, like, one small bag) due to unpleasant amounts of medically-required stuff. Nobody's ever bothered me.

On the other hand, I watched someone try to bring two tandem strollers on board along with so many bags I couldn't count them. (And no, she didn't actually have four babies to go with the strollers.) Some people were really taking waaaay too much. And they were bizarrely resistant to checking the excesses, despite travelling between checked-luggage stations.

Amtrak's new policy is mostly fine. It needs a blanket ADA accomodation rule (in practice, I hope this is what will happen anyway). And Amtrak needs to provide more checked luggage service, because people will use it.

Amtrak's new policy is mostly fine. It needs a blanket ADA accomodation rule (in practice, I hope this is what will happen anyway). And Amtrak needs to provide more checked luggage service, because people will use it.
They will allow disabled passengers to carry more onboard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I do not mean to imply sleeper passengers or for that matter elite or first class airline passengers are in any way superior. Far from true.But the reality in the transportation business is that people who pay more get more. Even JetBlue which has been a first bag free airline since its inception now charges extra or allows you to buy a higher priced coach ticket that includes the bag. The sleeper difference is that the bags are not in the aisles, they are not taking up a seat that you might want to sit in, and and generally if you clutter up space, it's the space you occupy. I do not believe that any passenger should be able to have luggage that creates a safety or delay issue.

Then I'll ask: how do you board with more than the allotted carry-on luggage amount without creating a safety or delay issue? Especially considering that on many rural platforms a step stool is required, on-board staff basically has to help if luggage is to be loaded efficiently.

I'm fine if sleeper passengers get additional checked baggage allotments, but I see it extremely unlikely where a passenger can bring more luggage than what the policy currently allows without causing a safety or delay issue (or requiring assistance to get it on-board, especially in one trip.) VIA Rail has a lot lower carry-on luggage allotments than Amtrak does, and it's actually less for sleepers (as there's little to no overhead storage space in the sleepers on VIA.) It's similar with Superliners on Amtrak; the only storage area is in the rack downstairs (or perhaps in the bedrooms; I don't take them enough to know for sure) but I can imagine it getting full if everyone brings on as much luggage as is allowed in the allotment. Coach passengers have the overhead storage area to help store additional luggage; Superliner roomettes (and possibly bedrooms) do not have that.

Not to mention that would be incredibly difficult to consistently enforce. Better to have a broad rule for everyone and stick to it rather than have little exemptions here and there that people will complain about if they don't meet even if they think they should be able to meet it.

generally if you clutter up space, it's the space you occupy.
In my experience, sleeper passenger excess carry-on luggage clutters up the lower vestibule of Superline trains, when the limited space in the luggage rack is insufficient, or clutters up the shower compartment on Viewliner sleeping cars. The former can be a safety hazard, the latter is an irritation.

Then I'll ask: how do you board with more than the allotted carry-on luggage amount without creating a safety or delay issue?
By carrying one 33 inch bag rather than two 28 inch bags.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back