Freedom Card, Anyone?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Normally they said it would be two to three to six weeks into October. In the meantime your current card will continue to work as Freedom Card.

I had a long drawn out chat with three different people including a Supervisor at Chase due to a different screwup involving the AGR Card (which I have detailed in the "AGR Mastercard" thread) that was specific to me, and to fix that they are sending me an expedited Freedom Visa Card which I am suppose to get early this coming week.

Chase transisted all my AGR data to a new Freedom card number on line. Since I did not choose to accept the Freedom card, I called and they have now closed my Freedom card account so I do not expect to receive a card AT ALL.

in other news, BofA has finally removed the multiple "pending charges" AGR created by attempting to process my new BofA card about 3 times unsuccessfully before finally processing the card for $1,000+ purchase of Amtrak tickets. As of today, the correct amount and charge has posted to my BofA account and closing date for my account is 10/7 so will be able to check posting of my AGR points soon I hope.

I think my letter said it would be 4-6 weeks (or was it 6-10?) before we'd get the actual replacement card. Until then the AGR card should work fine.
Yep...you may keep using the AGR card until the new one arrives. I'm not because I switched over to BofA when I received their AGR card.

The Freedom card (when it arrives) will just get filed away with my other (currently unused) Freedom card.

I swapped out of Sleazedom and onto the Sapphire Preferred. As I explained to someone early on in this process, normally I'd want the 40k point bonus; at this point, however, since the AGR account is one of my oldest and I've just technically acquired like five accounts in the last year (two BofA AGR cards, one BofA Virgin Atlantic card, one Comenity Virgin America card, and I think my Hyatt card was acquired during the last 12 months as well).

The note I got from Chase indicated that the Freedom Card replacement for their Amtrak mastercard would arrive some time in early November -- 6 weeks or so after the expiration of their AGR-linked card.

I haven't gotten the replacement card yet, but some of the charges I thought would still be on the Chase Amtrak Guest Rewards card were shunted over to the new card. I called and apparently nothing to do there, I guess. Now, I already have one Freedom card I received as a replacement some years ago when an environmental organization whose Chase card I had did the same switch over to BOA. I don't need two Freedom cards, but I'm wondering how to proceed with the least damage to my FICO score, which is currently very high. I can keep both cards (one has a credit limit of 10K, the other 11.5K) and leave one in the drawer, or I can cancel one. Would my FICO score take a hit if I canceled a card with such a high credit limit? I called the three credit reporting companies, but that didn't work. I will go to the bank to ask there, but so many of you are knowledgeable on this issue, I thought I'd ask here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't gotten the replacement card yet, but some of the charges I thought would still be on the Chase Amtrak Guest Rewards card were shunted over to the new card. I called and apparently nothing to do there, I guess. Now, I already have one Freedom card I received as a replacement some years ago when an environmental organization whose Chase card I had did the same switch over to BOA. I don't need two Freedom cards, but I'm wondering how to proceed with the least damage to my FICO score, which is currently very high. I can keep both cards (one has a credit limit of 10K, the other 11.5K) and leave one in the drawer, or I can cancel one. Would my FICO score take a hit if I canceled a card with such a high credit limit? I called the three credit reporting companies, but that didn't work. I will go to the bank to ask there, but so many of you are knowledgeable on this issue, I thought I'd ask here.
What you can do is move the credit line from one card to the other and cancel the $0 one. You just have to call the number on the back of the card. Just make sure you keep the older account to help your average age of accounts. I will be canceling my Amtrak Freedom with an account date of 2008 and keeping my other Freedom with an account date of 1976. That is my oldest account.

I've switched my Freedom card over to a Sapphire...Freedom's rotating categories and otherwise anemic cash back rate made it a decidedly awful card for me. At least with Sapphire I've got somewhere I can dump points that's vaguely productive.

That being said, in the mail on Monday (10/05) I got something special: One of the last AGR/Chase cards ever issued. It'll never be able to be used as such (the program having flipped over), but it feels kinda cool to have managed to wind up with one of those that was presumably stamped out on 09/29 or 09/30.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think my letter said it would be 4-6 weeks (or was it 6-10?) before we'd get the actual replacement card. Until then the AGR card should work fine.
just wondering if we will still get points for all shopping until September 30. And what about points until the replacement card arrives?

just wondering if we will still get points for all shopping until September 30. And what about points until the replacement card arrives?
I just looked at my statement. Looks like points were awarded for charges posted before the September statement date. Mine was September 7 so I lost most of September's charges.

I swapped out of Sleazedom and onto the Sapphire Preferred. As I explained to someone early on in this process, normally I'd want the 40k point bonus; at this point, however, since the AGR account is one of my oldest and I've just technically acquired like five accounts in the last year (two BofA AGR cards, one BofA Virgin Atlantic card, one Comenity Virgin America card, and I think my Hyatt card was acquired during the last 12 months as well).
Hmm, I have to wonder now what my options are. I already have a Chase Sapphire Preferred, and I will not be getting the new AGR card because I refuse to do business with BofA under any circumstance. But since I will agree that the Freedom is indeed "Sleazedom" I'll have to do some research now and see about getting it transferred into a different, better Chase product other than CSP.

Hmm, I have to wonder now what my options are. I already have a Chase Sapphire Preferred, and I will not be getting the new AGR card because I refuse to do business with BofA under any circumstance. But since I will agree that the Freedom is indeed "Sleazedom" I'll have to do some research now and see about getting it transferred into a different, better Chase product other than CSP.
I'm thinking that Chase has nothing better than the CSP.

If you totally despise some bank that has screwed you -- yeah -- maybe try Credit Unions

Yup, I have a few significant Amazon purchases lined up for it as soon as it arrives. Funny thing is, I have already registered it for the 5x as soon as it showed up on my Chase page, but I have not seen the card, nor its full particulars other than the last four digits yet!

I'm thinking that Chase has nothing better than the CSP.

If you totally despise some bank that has screwed you -- yeah -- maybe try Credit Unions
Kind of already been there with the Credit Union option for about 9 years when it comes to personal banking. I've not had any bad experiences with Chase, American Express or Capitol One, so I do business with them on a level I am agreeable to (credit card accounts only, no traditional banking.)

But I was seriously boned by BofA just as the whole economic meltdown was gaining a head of steam. I've more than fully recovered financially, but I won't use their services ever again and would have rather seen them relegated to the history books than bailed out. This means losing a major source of AGR point accrual, something I am very annoyed with, but that is life sometimes. I still have the PFS portal for now, and can use a card like the CSP to get points that are still valuable on modes of transport other than the train.

Back