Chicago to Miami

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TrainLoverJoy

Lead Service Attendant
Amtrak guarantees the connection from the Capitol Limited arriving in DC at 1:05 to the Silver Meteor leaving at 7:35......but I'm thinking of "living dangerously" and choosing the Silver Star instead, leaving exactly 2 hours after DC arrival. On-time performance shows odds are in my favor for making the 3:05, but I have a question.

If I should miss the connection, how would Amtrak "handle it?" Would they automatically put me in a bedroom on the Meteor (if one is available, of course.) And if not, would I lose the points I used to buy the bedroom if they have to put me in a roomette instead?

The only reason I would risk taking the Silver Star is because the trip lasts almost 4 hours longer than the Meteor.....and this would be my first time on this route.

If the option doesn't show up as a routing CHI-MIA on the website, it is not a guaranteed connection and Amtrak does nothing. You won't be accomodated, unless you want to buy a new ticket at the current price. In fact, you won't be refunded either, because it will be as if you simply missed the train.

OTOH you could book the Capitol - Meteor trip. If you arrive in WAS on time go to ticket counter and see if you could transfer ticket to the STAR.

Also, if the itinerary does not show on the web site, then I believe you cannot book CHI-MIA via 91 as a two zone redemption. It would be a two zone redemption (CHI-WAS) followed by a one zone redemption (WAS-MIA).

No sense in being upset and worried on the Cap about making a tight connection. The idea of riding the train is to sit back and relax :)

OTOH you could book the Capitol - Meteor trip. If you arrive in WAS on time go to ticket counter and see if you could transfer ticket to the STAR.
This has occurred even though it sounds unlikely. Since Amtrak would not do anything to reaccommodate you in you force the connection on your own, I'd try this plan.

Last edited by a moderator:
To even improve the possibility of changing ticket to star check availability of WASH - destination about 20 minutes out of WASH. Then if Meteor sleepers sold out and Star available then you can go to Amtrak and say " This will give Amtrak possibility of selling high bucket fare to points south "

I was going to keep the 2 legs separate and only use points on viewliner bedroom.
The bedroom from Toledo to Washington is no extra cost if you're redeeming a one-zone. Why pay for the entire Capitol route instead of just Chicago to Toledo?

Yes, pay for coach from CHI to TOL (about $33) and then use the one-zone from TOL-MIA for 25k points. They might even let you occupy your bedroom early and you'll be able to use the metropolitan lounge in Chicago in any case since you'll have a same-day sleeper ticket.

Also, if the itinerary does not show on the web site, then I believe you cannot book CHI-MIA via 91 as a two zone redemption. It would be a two zone redemption (CHI-WAS) followed by a one zone redemption (WAS-MIA).
I just ask Guest Rewards about that recently, we live in southern Il and are considering a trip to florida. She told me it was a two zone trip and it would cover the first class accommodation from here to florida. That might be wrong, but that is what I was told. It makes sense though if your going in two zones, why would they make it three?

What you were told is correct if your itinerary is offered on the Amtrak web site when you enter your end points on the main screen. If you need to use the multi-city planner, then the itinerary is not available as a single AGR redemption.

The two zone redemption plus the one zone redemption would apply if you added a layover on the east coast (for example, in New York, Philadelphia, Washington). Then you would have a two zone redemption from Illinois to the east coast city, and a one zone redemption from the east coast city to Florida. I assume it would also apply if, at booking, you chose to construct an itinerary that the web site does not offer (for example, Capitol Limited to Silver Star).

Of course, with Amtrak, it all depends on what agent you get on the day you book. Strange things happen.

Trying to switch to the Star after arriving early enough is a good idea.....nothing to lose!
Remember,as was said, there's no Diner on the Star at least until January!

I've done this a couple of times when the Cap was on time into WAS.
I have been following the thread about the Silvers and I wouldn't plan this trip until after the diner experiment is over.......I especially wouldn't "waste" points on a trip with no food!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back